Linux Needs More Recognition From The Tech Community

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am not arguing who the "average user" is.

You start out by saying "the "average user" should need to use terminal to fix their issues", then you say the, lets called it the 'power users', will have "an above average working knowledge" and then the "terminal shouldn't be that big of an issue".

Imagine trying to explain how to install Wine to get netflix to work (if thats still the only proper solution, IDK I haven't bothered cause Windows does it soooo much better). Its hopeless.

Sorry, I made a typo. I meant to say; "the average user shouldn't need to use the terminal..." ;) My bad. Edited the original post. But thanks for catching that. :)

And no, Netflix works quite well on Linux now. You don't need wine to get it to work. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Or you could try the Dread Pirate Federighi's Tainted operating system, OS X. The UI is consistently great, there is a plethora and even a community around well-designed apps, and you can hack on the UNIX beneath it all day long if you so desire.

Unfortunately for those who cannot afford the cost of hardware, or are not knowledgeable enough to install OSX on non-Apple computers, will have to deal with BSD derivatives  :P.

Don't get me wrong, I run OSX in a VM on ESXi, and its enough for what I need it for. I can PXE (network) boot an RDP client that automatically connects and lets me select my VMs. This solution does of course have some drawbacks, that being: I have 10Gbps NICs on my servers, on my switch and my pc. The main issue is latence. 10Gbps is probably overkill for most things, 1Gbps is probably adequate for 95% of applications (assuming the connection is saturated).

I personally have a neutral stance on BSD, but I have been testing ZFS and RAIDz lately. It seems to be holding up fine so far. I've also tested Solaris, some claim it's an abomination :o, but then again, it isn't meant to be a daily driver. Its not sexy in any regard, but it gets the work done (especially if you need Oracles Database running).

Regarding Unix haters (in general), they must've read this:

uhh-cover.gif

(Nothing like a little tongue in cheek humor)

OS X isn't as bad as some are made to believe.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'll switch to Linux if more developers start making games for it. Yes, the only reason I'm on Windows is gaming. Linux has a lot of advantages over Windows.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Linux is nice for developing applications that run on a Unix system. Desktop productivity, not so much in my opinion.

Didn't even mention games, but Windows is the best for gaming because it has a massive install base = $$$$$$$$

^so thats my stand on that...

Sorry. I meant to comment another guy about games. 

Linux is nice for developing applications that run on a Unix system. Desktop productivity, not so much in my opinion.

Depends on what, specifically, you're looking to do. It's far from perfect, but it's constantly and steadily improving.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Sorry, I made a typo. I meant to say; "the average user shouldn't need to use the terminal..." ;) My bad. Edited the original post. But thanks for catching that. :)

And no, Netflix works quite well on Linux now. You don't need wine to get it to work. 

ah okay, yeah but still, the past 3 laptops (inclusive of current) of mine needed some terminal action in-order to install a "virtual audio splitter" so that all of the speakers on the laptop can function instead of just one. Every-once and a while it will stop working and I have to go back into the terminal and add the deselected speakers again. I haven't had this issue on the desktop, its just the laptop which is where I believe most "average" users spend their computing time.

oooo aight, ill have to check Netflix out again if I have some time to waste.

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.

I'll switch to Linux if more developers start making games for it. Yes, the only reason I'm on Windows is gaming. Linux has a lot of advantages over Windows.

Majority of AAA developers probably won't because of Windows massive install base which = $$$$$$$$$$

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

If there was games on Linux then I would transition right away.

There are. Quite a few, actually. And that number is growing. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Indeed there is, but I got dizzy so I stopped spinning. I'll continue for you though (if I throw up however, I'd like a nod of appreciation).

Due to a lack of awareness, there's a lack of Linux developers and software being ported to Linux with on the nerdiest sticking around, these 'nix nerds who are used to working in CLI write UIs that work for them but don't translate so well for everyday users, same with the installers but often do a great job of adding nice 'touches' here and there for pro users.

Due to the complexities of using Linux, widespread adoption is slow, therefore adoption in dev circles is slow etc...

But you knew that already :)

Yeah, to me Windows = Dumbed down (it is if you've used previous right back to DOS and 3.1), Linux = now where's that guide on installing drivers.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Steam is working on that. There is lot of games for Linux, but it's still new.

You can allways use PlayOnLinux or Wine. (But it's hard for begginers, that's why gamers dont use Linux (They are just idiots))

Majority of AAA developers probably won't because of Windows massive install base which = $$$$$$$$$$

Yeah but Apple gets their customers to spend far more. I wonder if anyone's done a CBA of making Mac ports of your games. I'd wager that "non-gamers" tend to buy more games on Mac than on PC because of demographic differences and such.

Yeah, to me Windows = Dumbed down (it is if you've used previous right back to DOS and 3.1), Linux = now where's that guide on installing drivers.....

Which is why so many developers and power users alike find OS X to be a happy sweet spot in between. Now that it's free the choice is even harder.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah but Apple gets their customers to spend far more. I wonder if anyone's done a CBA of making Mac ports of your games. I'd wager that "non-gamers" tend to buy more games on Mac than on PC because of demographic differences and such.

Which is why so many developers and power users alike find OS X to be a happy sweet spot in between. Now that it's free the choice is even harder.

OSX is free?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

OSX is free?

Yes. Since 2013. Unlimited downloads, DRM-free.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Whaaaaat? OSX is free? As in..."free" free? :o Surely you don't mean the iOS?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Whaaaaat? OSX is free? As in..."free" free? :o

As Stallman would say...

"Free" as in beer

but not

"Free" as in speech (at least not entirely...opensource.apple.com)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

As Stallman would say...

"Free" as in beer

but not

"Free" as in speech (at least not entirely...opensource.apple.com)

This is very surprising news to me. I never would have guessed it would ever become free. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You missed my simple point, Microsoft has almost 60% of the share (with the rest being shared by Mac os and other) of running operating systems. There is what 100 million steam users? and according to the December 2014 survey 95% of users are running a microsoft operating system. SOooooooooooo yeah, lets argue about where the money is again.

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

You missed my simple point, Microsoft has almost 60% of the share (with the rest being shared by Mac os and other) of running operating systems. There is what 100 million steam users? and according to the December 2014 survey 95% of users are running a microsoft operating system. SOooooooooooo yeah, lets argue about where the money is again.

I'm not trying to argue that Mac has more money, I'm simply suggesting that there's more to it than marketshare. Non-gamers would tend to use the Mac App Store for games rather than Steam.

For example, Apple may only have 15% PC marketshare, (if I recall correctly) but they have over 50% of the profit share. That's why they're making oil-company level cash. Their customers are clearly willing to pay more for certain things so why not games?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Steam is working on that. There is lot of games for Linux, but it's still new.

You can allways use PlayOnLinux or Wine. (But it's hard for begginers, that's why gamers dont use Linux (They are just idiots))

I've used Linux for a while actually. I got used to using Wine but that was with my old computer so I'll try it out again in the future

I'm not trying to argue that Mac has more money, I'm simply suggesting that there's more to it than marketshare. Non-gamers would tend to use the Mac App Store for games rather than Steam.

For example, Apple may only have 15% PC marketshare, (if I recall correctly) but they have over 50% of the profit share. That's why they're making oil-company level cash. Their customers are clearly willing to pay more for certain things so why not games?

Market share is everything to the developers. Developers don't get a cut of a sale of a laptop or desktop. Steam is by far the best platform to distribute a game, especially with Steam Green light making it "easier" for indy developers. Again, the fact is making a game for Windows = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

I can also only think of two success stories on mac os, which is minecraft and LoL and still those are both available on Windows. I strongly don't think that they pay more for minecraft and LoL just because they are using a mac; that's a bit thick. 

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

I can also only think of two success stories on mac os, which is minecraft and LoL and still those are both available on Windows. I strongly don't think that they pay more for minecraft and LoL just because they are using a mac; that's a bit thick. 

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that Apple customers tend to buy more apps and that could be extended to include games, because you buy them in the same store. Thus while there are more people using Windows PCs period there may be more people willing to pay for games using OS X. Comprendo?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that Apple customers tend to buy more apps and that could be extended to include games, because you buy them in the same store. Thus while there are more people using Windows PCs period there may be more people willing to pay for games using OS X. Comprendo?

Except the types of people/users that tend to use/need OSX aren't typically gamers. Those few who are either have a separate beastly windows gaming PC and/or dual-boot OSX/windows on one machine.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Except the types of people/users that tend to use/need OSX aren't typically gamers. Those few who are either have a separate beastly windows gaming OC and/or dual-boot OSX/windows on one machine.

Well they may not subscribe to all of the gamer culture that you do but there are plenty of people who game on OS X.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /