Linux Needs More Recognition From The Tech Community

Well they may not subscribe to all of the gamer culture that you do but there are plenty of people who game on OS X.

Far fewer than those who game on windows. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Far fewer than those who game on windows. ;)

And you're missing the point again, though I'm not even sure that statement is true. Windows has a massive customer base but I assure you that far less than 50% play games of any kind on their machines much less consider themselves gamers. While one gamer on Windows might buy two games because of the app store on Mac a typical gamer might buy more.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And you're missing the point again, though I'm not even sure that statement is true. Windows has a massive customer base but I assure you that far less than 50% play games of any kind on their machines much less consider themselves gamers. While one gamer on Windows might buy two games because of the app store on Mac a typical gamer might buy more.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just don't believe many people who use and need OSX are the gamer type. By that I don't mean they simply don't subscribe to the gamer/tech culture, but I mean they simply aren't as interested and/or just don't play games in general.

Unless the app store offers some kind of significant benefit, it'll be extremely difficult to compete with other gaming retailers/platforms like Steam, GoG, GMG, Humble Store, Origin etc. If a game is $29 on the app store or on Steam for $15, guess where most gamers would rather purchase that game from? It would also depend on if the app store sells the games with Steam keys etc. or only for OSX.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but people are very set in their ways (part of the problem in getting people to even look at Linux in the first place ;) ) and there are already various methods/options and avenues one can go about purchasing games at great discounts to begin with. Competing with that would be very difficult.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

That argument can go both ways look at Origin, Steam and other game libraries that are widely popular on Windows. Linux and OS X don't have the market share to be superior gaming platforms. For every ten games a single person buys though the Mac Store there are 20+ people who will buy a game for Windows.

That argument can go both ways look at Origin, Steam and other game libraries that are widely popular on Windows. Linux and OS X don't have the market share to be superior gaming platforms. For every ten games a single person buys though the Mac Store there are 20+ people who will buy a game for Windows.

Do you have stats to back that up?

Again, this is a hypothesis I have based on an extrapolation from iOS usage data which shows people who use iOS buy more apps than people who use Android. I'm also assuming that people who use Android are more likely to use Windows.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Do you have stats to back that up?

Again, this is a hypothesis I have based on an extrapolation from iOS usage data which shows people who use iOS buy more apps than people who use Android. I'm also assuming that people who use Android are more likely to use Windows.

Steam stats alone back that up quite well. With Windows topping over 95% of the entire user base. There's over 3000 OS X games on Steam so one cannot say it's not a vast library for OS X games. Both Linux and OS X aren't that popular for gaming systems. No matter how you look at it Windows has the most revenue and user base because of its proprietary API and platform adoption. Conduct a poll here on LTT and I think you would be surprised I know quite a few people on here that have 100+ games in their Steam library that run Windows.

Example poll.

What OS do you use primarily for gaming?

- Windows

- OS X

- Linux

Which platform do you own more games for?

- Windows

- OS X

- Linux

-snip-

It would be bad science to conduct a poll on LTT. You realize how jacked the stats are here compared to the rest of the world, right?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /