Sold my GPU, time for MAXWELL!

Tearass

pnyEyrI.png

So like a select few know, I've sold my Custom Painted GTX 760, recieving ~$160, excluding shipping costs. 

At the moment I have $240 in total, and am running my computer with a GTX 460 I had lying around.

I am wondering if I should purchase the newly released GTX 960, or wait ~8 months to make enough money for a GTX 970.

- Rumi

I'd just get an R9 290, it'll literally kill anything at 1080p

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

pnyEyrI.png

So like a select few know, I've sold my Custom Painted GTX 760, recieving ~$160, excluding shipping costs. 

At the moment I have $240 in total, and am running my computer with a GTX 460 I had lying around.

I am wondering if I should purchase the newly released GTX 960, or wait ~8 months to make enough money for a GTX 970.

- Rumi

Going from a 760 to a 960 would be pointless. Go with an R9 290 because until this whole VRAM issue gets sorted out I would not get a 970. You would also be able to get an R9 290 pretty soon and wouldn't have to wait 8 months since their prices are low.

It takes you 8 months to get $150?  :huh:

a 960 isn't really a worthwhile upgrade from a 760 IMHO. Go with a 290 for around $270

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

R9 290, But since you said Maxwell, then get the 960, or wait 8 months to get the 970 which should be enough time for the VRAM issue to be resolved.

R9 280 / 280X / 290..

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Rather than suggest something other than the two choices you mentioned like the posters above me i would say get a 970, having said that i would have held onto the 760 until i could afford something better. AMD may have more to offer you in the budget range but i don't want to be one of those people that suggest AMD when a person specifically asks for a decision between two Nvidia cards lol 

I love Nvidia but man don't be buying their 970s after what has been revealed recently.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Not with that VRAM issue.

I really couldn't care less, because a lot of games won't reach that VRAM mark for the average user to notice it

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I really couldn't care less, because a lot of games won't reach that VRAM mark for the average user to notice it

At higher resolutions they will.

I love Nvidia but man don't be buying their 970s after what has been revealed recently.

??? Links please

At higher resolutions they will.

Assuming they're playing at 1080p/maybe 1440p, should have mentioned that

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

...VRAM issue...

...VRAM issue...

...VRAM issue...

...VRAM issue...

I plan on getting a 21:9 monitor in the future, which I'll use alongside my current 2 16:9 monitors.

It takes you 8 months to get $150?  :huh:

I am young child.

8 months to make $100...the struggle is real

:edit: just noticed you're underage lol

I plan on getting a 21:9 monitor in the future, which I'll use alongside my current 2 16:9 monitors.

Still doesn't change the fact that 290 with a slight OC will match 970 performance for a lot cheaper

"Rawr XD"

Make your parents an offer they will find hard to refuse, tell them you will give up your next incoming $200 worth of chores/pocket money if they help you out with the $150 difference now, then you can get a 970 now but become their slave for the next year lol

I know you're young but what the hell are they paying you 50 cents an hour?  :lol:

Make your parents an offer they will find hard to refuse, tell them you will give up your next incoming $200 worth of chores/pocket money if they help you out with the $150 difference now, then you can get a 970 now but become their slave for the next year lol

I know you're young but what the hell are they paying you 50 cents an hour?  :lol:

No chores, just a paper route and this banner shop thing... ;)

http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/category/43-services/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

It's time for SLI 460s ;)

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

You're right. 

I like how the R9 290x Lightning runs 10c cooler than the 980 and gets similar performance. Goes to shoe that AMD Radeon has some real staying power ... to bad we cant say the same for FX LOL.

pnyEyrI.png

- Rumi

Dude, with a 750W PSU a GTX 960 makes no sense whatsoever. Try to get your parents to front you $30 for the mail-in rebate and spend that $240 on the Asus DirectCUII R9 290 at newegg. It's not the best cooler for the 290, but it's still miles ahead of reference so you won't have to worry about throttling and your system being loud. Here is a review of the 290x using the same cooler, and the 290x is a hotter card than the 290.