Just bought a GTX 970, but troubles..Bottleneck?

Hash3D

1st of all let me post my system specs:

MOBO: Biostar TA970

CPU: AMD FX 8320E @ 3.4 GHz

GPU: Geforce GTX 970

RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

PSU: Corsair CX750M

I can't play games at ultra settings, medium settings usually. Arma 3 I get 10-20fps. H1Z1 I get around 30.

I know that my mobo doesn't support decent over-clocking or I would be over 4GHz.

Is my GPU bottlenecked by my CPU? I mean this is kinda crazy because I thought the GTX 970 was a decent card? If I need to upgrade to an Intel CPU I can but shouldn't I be getting more FPS even with this CPU? Thanks. 

I can't play games at ultra settings, medium settings usually. Arma 3 I get 10-20fps. H1Z1 I get around 30.

I know that my mobo doesn't support decent over-clocking or I would be over 4GHz.

Is my GPU bottlenecked by my CPU? I mean this is kinda crazy because I thought the GTX 970 was a decent card? If I need to upgrade to an Intel CPU I can but shouldn't I be getting more FPS even with this CPU? Thanks. 

Your CPU doesn't have very good single-threaded performance, which could be affecting ARMA III's performance, however I don't know enough about H1Z1 to understand that one.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Is there a benchmark or something I can run for you to get a better understand of my Framerate issues?

Even in Planetside 2 on ultra it runs smooth until big battles...then my fps dips to around 30.

Is there a benchmark or something I can run for you to get a better understand of my Framerate issues?

no need...been there, done that..many users have upgraded from the old FX chips already (including me)...these are not very good CPU for gaming and they will bottleneck your high-end card in many (most) games...sorry man you should have asked us in the CPU subforum we would have suggested something better for you.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you would know if it is a bottleneck, load up one of the games you play and monitor the usage

gpu @ 100% and cpu is not= gpu bottle-necking cpu

cpu @ 100% and gpu is not= cpu bottle-necking gpu

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well yes, there is a bottleneck if I'm correct. I doubt it would be making that much of a performance loss.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

no need...been there, done that..many users have upgraded from the old FX chips already (including me)...these are not very good CPU for gaming and they will bottleneck your high-end card in many (most) games...sorry man you should have asked us in the CPU subforum we would have suggested something better for you.

Well, the FX 8320E was a gift so I decided to use it. If I upgraded to the top i5 cpu do you think my problems would vanish and I could run everything at ultra 60fps+ ???

Well, the FX 8320E was a gift so I decided to use it. If I upgraded to the top i5 cpu do you think my problems would vanish and I could run everything at ultra 60fps+ ???

yes, absolutely...

in the meantime you could always try to overclock the FX to help with the issue...what motherboard do you have and CPU cooler?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well yes, there is a bottleneck if I'm correct. I doubt it would be making that much of a performance loss.

Then what else could my issue be? A faulty/bad GPU?

you would know if it is a bottleneck, load up one of the games you play and monitor the usage

gpu @ 100% and cpu is not= gpu bottle-necking cpu

cpu @ 100% and gpu is not= cpu bottle-necking gpu

that's not how it works...the GPU should indeed be fed to 95%+ consistently this is correct...but the CPU not being fully utilised won't mean it's not limiting the performance...the CPU is just not fast enough to proceed the required instructions for the game to run smooth...the actual load on the CPU won't mean anything until the CPU is pinned across the board which then of course would mean the CPU can't process anything more and therefore will be or is a ''bottleneck'' (hate this word)

The FX chips are old and slow when it comes to gaming and they will average around 40% loads on each cores for example but they still limit performance because they are too slow at processing the data required by the game, thats all.

monitor your GPU load with MSI afterburner while playing your games with VSYNC off and see if your card is fully used...it should be...otherwise this would point to a bottleneck (most likely your CPU)

What crap are you spitting? even a stock 8350 performs well in optimized games however this doesn't explain why the OP is getting performance like that.

My GPU load doesn't get above 60% ever in any game I have tried. 

Do you think my GPU is faulty?

I have a 970 and FX 8370, which is basically a OC'd version of your chip.

Stock boost of mine is 4.3Ghz

BF4 for example Min=65 High 125 Avg= 86 to 93 on ultra

CPU load is 60% with GPU at 90-95%

No bottlenecking here for me at least.

Try overclocking your CPU.

But it shouldn't be that low in the first place.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

My GPU load doesn't get above 60% ever in any game I have tried. 

Do you think my GPU is faulty?

no your CPU is from a 2011 architecture that has never been good at playing games and he is no match for this card, that's all there is to it...i know it for a fact i did owned a 4.6GHZ FX-8320 CPU in 2014 and i had to upgrade from it as it was limiting the performance of my GTX 780 in just about every games.

What crap are you spitting? even a stock 8350 performs well in optimized games however this doesn't explain why the OP is getting performance like that.

it absolutely does, you are clueless.

I have a 970 and FX 8370, which is basically a OC'd version of your chip.

Stock boost of mine is 4.3Ghz

BF4 for example Min=65 High 125 Avg= 86 to 93 on ultra

CPU load is 60% with GPU at 90-95%

No bottlenecking here for me at least.

Try overclocking your CPU.

But it shouldn't be that low in the first place.

it depends on the game...battlefield 4 is a very well optimised game that DO run perfectly fine on AMD multi-core CPU's...not the case for ARMA 3 and MANY other games as well.

it absolutely does, you are clueless.

Oh ok... ask anybody else here in an optimized game that does not run like a piece of crap (ARMA III etc) the FX 8320/50 still keep up with the 467/90K.

Oh ok... ask anybody else here in an optimized game that does not run like a piece of crap (ARMA III etc) the FX 8320/50 still keep up with the 467/90K.

in some games yes it does...i owned one so i know what those old dinausors can and can not do mate ;)

proof:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

Capture.png

in some games yes it does...i owned one so i know what those old dinausors can and can not do mate ;)

Intel fanboy... seriously you need to see real world performance on engines that are not still in dev stages ARMA has always been a crap engine.

Intel fanboy... seriously you need to see real world performance on engines that are not still in dev stages ARMA has always been a crap engine.

AGAIN:

proof:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

Capture.png

NO NEED TO LINK YOUTUBE VIDEOS I EXPERIENCED THIS FIRST HAND!!!

I KNOW BATTLEFIELD 4 RUNS FINE ON FX CHIPS BUT THATS ABOUT THE ONLY GAME THAT DOES THAT IT'S AN AMD OPTIMISED AND SPONSORED GAME..

...and if anyhting im an AMD fanboy i always used AMD and the AMD FX processor has been a big let down for me and it costed me a lot of money i owned this kit for only around 3 months before i god fed up with it...performance of my old core 2 quad Q6600@3.6ghz rig was almost the same in games.

Gave you tried other games? It may just be that your CPU has pretty bad single-core performance

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

And im tired of FX getting bashed so hard. Yes, Intel is better, lets get that straight.

The FX 8-Core line isn't as good for single thread i know.

AMD has cheap 8-cores, which I need since I work with Blender, 3D modeling software, where more cores have an almost direct effect on how well blender runs, AKA how laggy the software gets as your scene gets bigger with more objects and vertices.

And also render times. (which I dont care about since I render with my 970)

a 6-core like as 5820K will beat the 8 core in multi core performance, but its costs almost $400, which is twice the 8370. I actually got mine for $130-150 on Cyber Monday, which is even better for my needs.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Ok so why does my GPU load never get above 60% and how can i fix that? the core clock speed also fluctuates and rarely gets above 1,000mhz

Ok so why does my GPU load never get above 60% and how can i fix that? the core clock speed also fluctuates and rarely gets above 1,000mhz

this is because your GPU load is not high enough for GPU boost 2.0 to even kick in...only way to fix this is to get a modern intel haswell core i5 or i7...

overclocking the CPU balls to the walls would help somewhat but will never lift the bottleneck.

Your CPU is limiting this card a lot in many games...arma 3 being one of the worst of them honestly though...if you play BF4 or crysis 3 you should not experience this kind of performance...what other games do you play?