Is it possible?

Hello everyone at Linus Tech Tips.

I have a very important but yet idiotic question.

I did do my research before this and I have more questions that I cant seem to find answers for.      

I recently did a build with a 

AMD FX 8350 8 core processor. (not that great I know since its actually only 4 cores thanks AMD)

Along with a MSI 970 Gaming G series motherboard

And GPU EVGA GTX 760 2 GB.

Link to CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=AMD_FX_8350-_-19-113-284-_-Product

Link to Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790&cm_re=MSI_970_gaming-_-13-130-790-_-Product

Now I have been doing my very own research and found out the frames I am getting are beyond low to what I am suppose to be getting. And upon further research my CPU is bottle necking upon my investigation.

I have a couple questions.

Will this CPU bottle neck on Minecraft, TF2 (mvm), SimCity, Arma 2, DayZ and GTA.

My CPU temp doesnt ever pass 30 degrees C.

My GPU sticks around 35 as well.

But if it happens to be my CPU. Is it possible for me to "upgrade" my system from AMD to Intel. 

Can I change the motherboard and CPU? And still be running windows as normal? 

Or do I have to undergo certain changes?

Thank you for your time.

Hello everyone at Linus Tech Tips.

I have a very important but yet idiotic question.

I did do my research before this and I have more questions that I cant seem to find answers for.      

I recently did a build with a 

AMD FX 8350 8 core processor. (not that great I know since its actually only 4 cores thanks AMD)

Along with a MSI 970 Gaming G series motherboard

And GPU EVGA GTX 760 2 GB.

Link to CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=AMD_FX_8350-_-19-113-284-_-Product

Link to Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790&cm_re=MSI_970_gaming-_-13-130-790-_-Product

Now I have been doing my very own research and found out the frames I am getting are beyond low to what I am suppose to be getting. And upon further research my CPU is bottle necking upon my investigation.

I have a couple questions.

Will this CPU bottle neck on Minecraft, TF2 (mvm), SimCity, Arma 2, DayZ and GTA.

My CPU temp doesnt ever pass 30 degrees C.

My GPU sticks around 35 as well.

But if it happens to be my CPU. Is it possible for me to "upgrade" my system from AMD to Intel. 

Can I change the motherboard and CPU? And still be running windows as normal? 

Or do I have to undergo certain changes?

Thank you for your time.

First off, you do have 8 physical cores, let there be no mistake about that, it's just that the way the memory is moduled causes it to act more like a hyperthreaded quad core.  second off, on your temps, are you positive that your PSU is powerful enough?  and in terms of swapping out mobo AND CPU? I'm pretty sure Windows Genuine validation will void your license until you reinstall.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

First off, you do have 8 physical cores, let there be no mistake about that, it's just that the way the memory is moduled causes it to act more like a hyperthreaded quad core.  second off, on your temps, are you positive that your PSU is powerful enough?  and in terms of swapping out mobo AND CPU? I'm pretty sure Windows Genuine validation will void your license until you reinstall.

I'm not changing any drives just CPU and Mobo, I'd have to reinstall?

U wot m8? You think some psu that can run amd fx can't run intel?

And windows 8.1 license doesn't void does not matter how many times you reinstall, just has to be activated one key for one computer.

I'm not changing any drives just CPU and Mobo, I'd have to reinstall?

You can make it work without reinstalling, but it's not recommended

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Oh and yes, Im running an 850 Watt PSU.

EVGA Supernova 850 bronze.

Oh and yes, Im running an 850 Watt PSU.

EVGA Supernova 850 bronze.

So this could work but I would have to reinstall windows.

Would I want to do this before I swap or after on first boot?

So this could work but I would have to reinstall windows.

Would I want to do this before I swap or after on first boot?

Do you have a hard drive? If you do just save the files you need on it, unplug the hard drive. Change the mobo and cpu. Install fresh windows on ssd and plug the hard drive back in. That would be the cleanest solution.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

In those specific games, that CPU is limiting you.  I recommend you overclock as much as possible, but even that won't solve your problems.  Those specific games want strong cores, not many weak ones.

If you are within the 30 day return period, I would return that CPU and mobo.  An i3 will perform much better in those games, and for the same amount of money, you could even afford an i5 + H81/B85.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Do you have a hard drive? If you do just save the files you need on it, unplug the hard drive. Change the mobo and cpu. Install fresh windows on ssd and plug the hard drive back in. That would be the cleanest solution.

Would I have to purchase a new Windows installation Disk or?

you basically listed you play a bunch of games that run much better on intel than amd :P

check here before building next time ;)

I did resarch a lot I think I researched for about 4 months before buying.

Would I have to purchase a new Windows installation Disk or?

if you have windows 8 you can reuse the key.

Spoiler

i swaped motherboard and CPU twice last year without ever having to re-install windows...only new drivers.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Windows will either do one of 3 things

1. Flip out and force you to re-install

2. Tell you windows is not genuine and force you to call Microsoft to get it sorted out

3. Be completely fine with it and ask for net drivers

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3h

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

Video Cards: XFX HD 7850 Ghost

Monitors: 3x Acer 23" LED LCD

Cooling: Corsair H80i

PSU: Cooler Master 600 Watt

Windows will either do one of 3 things

1. Flip out and force you to re-install

2. Tell you windows is not genuine and force you to call Microsoft to get it sorted out

3. Be completely fine with it and ask for net drivers

Usually it's number 2 when it comes to swapping out a Mobo AND CPU.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30