How far do i go (mods) with my first build?

kickasssloth

Hey guys!

So, im doing my first real propper build, no more macs, no more store bought crap, really doing it right!

Thing is, i am so OCD haha, i see these guys with custom sleeving, custom sized sata power cables, all this beautiful work, and i want to do the same! but should i?

im fairly experience working with things and making stuff, iv "modded" things since i was little,

I know for a first time sleeving and maybe more, will take hours, and it will be worth it, but i guess my question is,

should i build my computer, have it for a while, and then in a couple weeks or so, pull it apart, and sleeve/mod it then?

also, should i do things like shortent/custom sata power ect. cables? is it somthing you just have to jump in and do?

thanks for help guys :)

im getting my build some time this week,

trying to go for a bit of a military/sci fi style,

Parts:

- Sliver 600t case

- NZXT Hue (probably running white or red LED's)

- ASUS sabertooth Z77

- ASUS 570

- Black vengeance ram

- Plextor SSD's

- white fans

im thinking of doing mostly black cables, with grey and maybe 1 or 2 red accents?

thoughts and ideas apriciated :)

Thanks again everyone!

Modding is a great experience, but, as you say, you really do need to invest alot of time and patience into doing it right! Firstly, sleeving cables isn't hard, and very straightforward, there are many tutorials to follow on youtube and within 2 hours, you can easily learn everything you will need to do. Have you decided on what PSU you will be running? If not, i would strongly urge you to get a fully modular, 500/600W unit. One of These would be a good buy. As for sata cables, i haven't done them in mine, simply because it takes SO much time, and also the fact that you don't really see them all that much, if at all. I would suggest to either pull out your current PSU and practice sleeving that, just practicing pulling out the pins with an ATX pin remover can do wonders in time saving and it really does help in the long run.

Modding is a great experience, but, as you say, you really do need to invest alot of time and patience into doing it right! Firstly, sleeving cables isn't hard, and very straightforward, there are many tutorials to follow on youtube and within 2 hours, you can easily learn everything you will need to do. Have you decided on what PSU you will be running? If not, i would strongly urge you to get a fully modular, 500/600W unit. One of These would be a good buy. As for sata cables, i haven't done them in mine, simply because it takes SO much time, and also the fact that you don't really see them all that much, if at all. I would suggest to either pull out your current PSU and practice sleeving that, just practicing pulling out the pins with an ATX pin remover can do wonders in time saving and it really does help in the long run.
yea, thanks, im getting this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_995&products_id=20230 :)

and as for the sata cables i guess i just got all caught up in mod forums :P i wont do it now, but maybe in the future

would you have a rough idea how long it would take to do all the cables in the system?

thanks! :)

Good choice, you won't need 750W, but it's not a problem to have too much, just saves you some money if needs be :)