Samsung Phases Out Desktop Business

w_km

According to Korea Times, the company's desktop division will cease to exist: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2013/06/133_138061.html.

While Samsung has never been a huge presence in the desktop market, I think we're already seeing smaller companies rise in place on these larger corporations...it's actually quite interesting and I doubt the desktop will ever go anywhere, particularly the enthusiast PC crowd.  In fact, it seems like the disappearance of large desktop manufacturers is leaving room for a niche of companies offering unique desktop products.  

Another interesting desktop market which i expect to make a surge is the all-in-one.  Among many others, Apple has the iMac, lenovo has the IdeaPad Horizon, and I hope the enthusiast market starts making custom all-in-one chassis...something where you can put in a custom OEM display and connect it to a corresponding mobo, etc....potential for some cool mods if you ask me! Any thoughts?  Is the exit of big players' desktop divisions good for desktop PC enthusiasts??

Samsung made desktop PCs?

:lol:

Seems to be a sensible move.  A shift in focus to areas where Samsung is more popular.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Kilobytez response may be a little sharp, but it does seem to feel right.

Samsung makes excellent products, but they seem to like explosive markets, if you know what I mean.

These days everyone wants SSD's and even more, they want smartphones. Even quality big screen TV's are publicly more exciting then desktop PC's.

I don't think the desktop is going away, and I want it to stay for sure, but desktop PC's just aren't flying off the shelf in a way that samsung, clearly, is comfortable with.

Happy to see the market share (however small it must have been: I've never seen a samsung desktop) go to some smaller companies, so long as they keep the prices low and competition high.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

The prebuilt desktop is certainly a very fast dying market.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Unless it's an Apple right Lyons ;P

Well yeah, they're the only ones who can do it right...  :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Well yeah, they're the only ones who can do it right...  :P

You still agree with that even though you contradicted yourself? Apple products are prebuilt.

You still agree with that even though you contradicted yourself? Apple products are prebuilt.

Lol, they sell all-in-ones and pro desktops, not consumer plastic fantastic crap.

Probably a good idea. They should stick to making SSD's and phones rather than over saturating the market with all in one systems. An all in one system for Windows is pointless because you can't properly upgrade. Windows is a platform for everyone but most people that use it are tech savey so they won't buy an all in one anyway just build it themselves or buy one pre-made. Which idiot decided to invent the all in one desktop anyway, he should be executed. This is just my opinion anyway so you don't have to agree.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I never knew they made towers. Usually all I see are laptops and all-in-one PCs. Granted this model seems to be discontinued, I always liked the looks of the Samsung DP700A3B-A02US for some reason.

Denial.

Lol, truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it :)

Derp. They made desktops?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Aww, no more highly overclockable RAM from them? I wonder if their SSDs will be going away as well.

Aww, no more highly overclockable RAM from them? I wonder if their SSDs will be going away as well.

I think they just mean pre-built PCs.

Tbh i didn't realise Samsung made desktop machines. 

Even tho it looks as though they are not exciting the market, i would not be surprised if this becomes a trend. The sales of new desktops has been declining for a while now and this trend is likely to continue. 

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Didn't even knew that they made desktops. They're better off providing mobile goods anyways. Good for them. Now they can make more money.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Lol, truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it :)

Not for me :) I know the truth. Tis the reason why I don't buy Apple products, and/or prebuilt products. ;)

Not for me :) I know the truth. Tis the reason why I don't buy Apple products, and/or prebuilt products. ;)

Neither do I, but you can't deny facts.

samsung made desktops? O>o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015