Which to buy Dilemma over Alienware 18 or MacBookPro 15"6

Ultra setting, Fps, upgradability, desktop replacement,graphic and video edit enthusiast.

Needed software like final cut pro to quicken my wedding slideshow work. But MBP graphic isnt upgradable and it would be really stupid to just buy it for edits

Wanted the automated edit function really badly.

Any software similar to final cut pro? I did my own research and the closest software is Avid, After Effects CS6.

I know for a fact Alienware is definitely greater and more powerful in all that im asking for. The only reason for me to get MBP is just for edit reason... Goodness!

Im stuck in this bloody dilemma for a long time. Its driving me crazy!!

I can't believe I'm saying this but, the Alienware is the better choice here as it is more flexible than the mac.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

If your getting it for the horse power id say the ailenware, and as Elliot Game said, it's much harder to upgrade the mac. 

But it all come down to what you like. I'd go for the mac. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

the alienware is 5.472 kg (12.064 lbs).

that isn't a notebook.

that is a desktop in a smaller package.

get a desktop.

or get a smaller macbook AND a desktop ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Keep in mind (I own the stupid ass m18x) the 18 is a desk machine, meaning you will find a table and set yourself up there. I can use it on my lap, but I'm 6'2", and any shorter and it falls off your lap. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

SNIP

m18x is too heavy

what about other smaller and powerful laptops like the MSI GS60, Gigabyte PX35, Alienware 15, Aorus x7, x3, etc etc etc etc

Why is it between alienware and Apple

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the alienware is 5.472 kg (12.064 lbs).

that isn't a notebook.

that is a desktop in a smaller package.

get a desktop.

or get a smaller macbook AND a desktop ...

I travel a lot and i defnitely need the horsepower for my on going edit work

I travel a lot and i defnitely need the horsepower for my on going edit work

well the macbook most likely has enough horsepower for your editing.

m18x is too heavy

what about other smaller and powerful laptops like the MSI GS60, Gigabyte PX35, Alienware 15, Aorus x7, x3, etc etc etc etc

Why is it between alienware and Apple

Upgradability bro, i want a future proof mobile form factor and if theres any parts needa to be replaced, it can be done and not change the whole pc. God have mercy!

Upgradability bro, i want a future proof mobile form factor and if theres any parts needa to be replaced, it can be done and not change the whole pc. God have mercy!

I have an m18x. its really NOT something I want to carry around... ever... anywhere

also yes, for example I could upgrade the graphics cards.. for £1500.... the price of a 15" macbook pro haha

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have an m18x. its really NOT something I want to carry around... ever... anywhere

also yes, for example I could upgrade the graphics cards.. for £1500.... the price of a 15" macbook pro haha

Well bro, its definitely cheaper to upgrade here in Malaysia! Possible a cost of a MacBook Air. So its cool on my side

Its only okay for now, as more sophisicated 5K edit coming its way, youll need another new MacBookPro, by then what would the cost be conpared to just switch the internal part and youre done.

Well bro, its definitely cheaper to upgrade here in Malaysia! Possible a cost of a MacBook Air. So its cool on my side

Its only okay for now, as more sophisicated 5K edit coming its way, youll need another new MacBookPro, by then what would the cost be conpared to just switch the internal part and youre done.

upgrading the alienware (where even possible) most likely isn't much cheaper, than selling the old macbook and getting a new one.

I bet its not, check what prices SLI 980m MXM cards are

honestly, if you are buying laptops for upgradability you are doing it wrong, while they CAN be upgraded the costs to do it are still extremely high, mobile CPUs are WAY more expensive than desktop CPUs, as are mobile GPUs 

Dont forget, a 1-2 year old macbook will sell very well second hand, meaning you have money to put towards upgrading to a new one

The main point is though, that the M18x is fucking heavy, thick, massive, and a pain to carry, shit battery compared to the mac too, and a MASSIVE power brick

BTW here is the review of my own M18x, I bought one ,but would not buy one again in the future, its powerful as balls, but calling it a mobile is a joke

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/170701-the-alienware-m18x-review/

Of both options I would go with a desktop.

Both Alienware and Apple make overpriced crap.

Of both options I would go with a desktop.

Both Alienware and Apple make overpriced crap.

I did mention i travel a lot and i bodybuild too, so the weight never is an issue. I need a Solutions for Windows automated slideshow edits that i could fully utilize on.

I did mention i travel a lot and i bodybuild too, so the weight never is an issue. I need a Solutions for Windows automated slideshow edits that i could fully utilize on.

its still a bastard to carry and takes up tons of space, weight is still an issue, even for strong people

Also, you seem to be shooting down any alternative, so clearly you have made your mind up

its still a bastard to carry and takes up tons of space, weight is still an issue, even for strong people

Also, you seem to be shooting down any alternative, so clearly you have made your mind up

Hey bro, i totally get you. Lets say i bought MBP for 2K, how much would i be able to resell it for?

Ive check 980m for two is only 600 pound

I would personally go for a macbook when it comes to portability and the alien ware when it comes to raw performence/power, since they are equally shit with upgrading, since the best thing you can upgrade on them is probarlly the RAM and maybe the storage, i heard dell uses/used drives with a special form factor so that you couldn't replace/add others if you wanted to do that, could be total BS though since i only saw such a thing passing by on FB once.

Hey bro, i totally get you. Lets say i bought MBP for 2K, how much would i be able to resell it for?

Ive check 980m for two is only 600 pound

depending on the age, you would be able to resell it for 1000-1500 after 2-3years(depending on it's state/look)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.