What would you recommend

lovingGamer

What would you recommend

To have 4 GB of RAM (System Memory)

Or To buy r9 280?

Or r9 270x

And buy 8 GB of ram (System Memory)

WTF?

CARD WILL BE TO WEAK TO EVEN UTILIZE THE EXTRA VRAM ON THE 270X.

So i should get 280?

Is there the option of buying more ram in say a month an option or it something you will have to live with for quite some time? 

System ram or Video ram? I assumed system. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

WTF?

What the f*ck are you talking about?

OT: get 8GB RAM and the 270x if you really want to, the performance difference is minimal.

You also could save up and get 8GB with a 280X.

WTF?

I think they mean system memory, not video memory. I don't think an 8 GB 270X exists.

I'd go with the 270x, slightly slower than a 280 but 8 gigs of memory is needed nowadays.

WTF?

Not VRAM 

Get 4gb of Ram and the R9 280. 4gb is enough to play most games -- so long as youre not doing anything else in the background. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

WTF?

I don't think he's talking about an 8GB or 4GB R 270/280. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would say get atleast 8gb ram 4gb is not done when gaming these days.

You can always get more RAM, you know. Unless that isn't going to be an option?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I think they mean system memory, not video memory. I don't think an 8 GB 270X exists.

I'd go with the 270x, slightly slower than a 280 but 8 gigs of memory is needed nowadays.

Pretty much what I said.

Not VRAM 

Get 4gb of Ram and the R9 280. 4gb is enough to play most games -- so long as youre not doing anything else in the background. 

I don't think he's talking about an 8GB or 4GB R 270/280. ;)

What the f*ck are you talking about?

OT: get 8GB RAM and the 270x if you really want to, the performance difference is minimal.

You also could save up and get 8GB with a 280X.

You know, i thought he was talking about a 8GB VRAM version of a 270X, that doesn't even exist.

Not VRAM 

I can't play COD AW with 4 gb ram (Online)

I wouldn't go below 8GB of RAM.

So 270X it is.

I would say get atleast 8gb ram 4gb is not done when gaming these days.

Pretty much what I said.

Gaming on 4gb of Ram is totally doable -- I've been doing it for the past month as I've been too lazy to deal with RMA'g one of my 4gb modules. Plus it's much easier (cheaper) to add a second 4gb stick then replacing a gpu. 

I can't play COD AW with 4 gb ram (Online)

Why not? 

I was playing CoD AW with 4gb of ram on my system no problem. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You know, i thought he was talking about a 8GB VRAM version of a 270X, that doesn't even exist.

Your bad! :P

Gaming on 4gb of Ram is totally doable -- I've been doing it for the past month as I've been too lazy to deal with RMA'g one of my 4gb modules. Plus it's much easier (cheaper) to add a second 4gb stick then replacing a gpu. 

Why not? 

I was playing CoD AW with 4gb of ram on my system no problem. 

Did you play multiplayer?

Did you play multiplayer?

yes 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's much easier (cheaper) to add a second 4gb stick then replacing a GPU.

Quite true! :)

R9 280 all the way. Why? Because adding more system ram later is quick, easy, and cheap, Replacing your GPU? Expensive, a hassle to sell old one, etc. You should get the better GPU now, so you won't have to upgrade at a later date. If the time comes you want to add another 4GB of ram for games, or even more ram, it should be an extremely quick and easy edition to your system, and shouldn't cost much, even if you don't have the cash now!

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

R9 280 all the way. Why? Because adding more system ram later is quick, easy, and cheap, Replacing your GPU? Expensive, a hassle to sell old one, etc. You should get the better GPU now, so you won't have to upgrade at a later date. If the time comes you want to add another 4GB of ram for games, or even more ram, it should be an extremely quick and easy edition to your system, and shouldn't cost much, even if you don't have the cash now!

Fast question Would 280x Bottleneck i3 4130?

Quite true! :)

I would ask @Faceman, he seems to know a lot about bottlenecks and which CPUs do and don't. I wouldn't be able to tell you for certain personally.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Fast question, would a 280x Bottleneck i3 4130?

Good question. The answer, possibly.