Going to treat myself to a new Graphics Card with my Tax return at the end of the month, need some guidance though.

King Wild

My original goal was to hold off until the GTX 980 TI was released and get one of those, but it looks like Maxwell based chips were delayed? (some people are saying it's being announced at the end of January, some are saying it's delayed till 2016 so I'm really confused)  

My goal is to play games at 1440p with 60+ FPS for the time being (4k won't be valid for a few years so might as well go up to 1440 for the time being).

I don't know what I should do though, should I run 2 cheaper 970s in SLI (if that would achieve my goal), grab the Gold Edition 970 and wait for 4k, grab a 980 and go with it, or wait until the 980 TI or next gen flagships are released?

I built my current rig a few months ago with everything nearly at the top of the line but I put an R9 280 in it with the intention of upgrading some time after the Holidays.

I would go with the 980

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Why not rock 970s in SLI?

Definitely thinking about it, that was the original goal but I want to weigh my options.

If the 980 can rock 1440 at 60+ fps then there's no reason to fork out the extra cash, consume the extra wattage and mess up a bit of the air flow in my rig for the SLI'd 970s right?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

390x or whatever it's going to be called looks promising right now.

I think AMD's future relies a lot on Free Sync, I like the prospects of the 390x but their software support and efficiency are pretty meh in comparison to Nvidia

I think AMD's future relies a lot on Free Sync, I like the prospects of the 390x but their software support and efficiency are pretty meh in comparison to Nvidia

No it's not?

No it's not?

No what's not? I brought up 3 points, all of which I see echoed very frequently.

I obviously like AMD (I'm using one of their cards right now), their middle of the line cards are top tier bang-for-the-buck cards, but I their software experience has been very poor thus far and although Free Sync is enticing I don't know how far out it is from wide spread usage.

No what's not? I brought up 3 points, all of which I see echoed very frequently.

I obviously like AMD (I'm using one of their cards right now), their middle of the line cards are top tier bang-for-the-buck cards, but I their software experience has been very poor thus far and although Free Sync is enticing I don't know how far out it is from wide spread usage.

AMD's future does not rely on FreeSync, that's just a minor thing.

Their software is usually more stable than Nvidia's.

AMD isn't all that less efficient than Nvidia either, look at the power draw numbers and see for yourself.

AMD's future does not rely on FreeSync, that's just a minor thing.

Their software is usually more stable than Nvidia's.

AMD isn't all that less efficient than Nvidia either, look at the power draw numbers and see for yourself.

If Free Sync was minor people wouldn't be shelling out 100+ extra dollars for Nvidia's equivalent.

You're the first person I've ever heard who has said their software is more stable than Nvidia's.

And the 290 and 290x each use over 100W more than the 970 and 980 underload

Just cuz people pay for something doesn't mean it isn't minor.

$100+ is paltry. People buy Apple stuff, sports cars that they never race in, and shiny rocks.

AMD's drivers are fine. Been using them the last 6 years and no issue. Please no fanboyism.

Yes AMD's cards take more power. Its not a biggy for everyone.

That might be some of the most backwards logic I've ever seen.

"People paying 100+ extra for something that's otherwise the exact same, they're obviously doing it for no reason!"

"Somebody brought up a legitimate claim about a company's product that he himself is currently using?! Obviously a fanboy of the other brand!"

"Legitimate concern about a card's power consumption and TDP? Brush it off and claim it doesn't matter for some people"

Sick contributions, bro.

If Free Sync was minor people wouldn't be shelling out 100+ extra dollars for Nvidia's equivalent.

You're the first person I've ever heard who has said their software is more stable than Nvidia's.

And the 290 and 290x each use over 100W more than the 970 and 980 underload

People that aren't buying G-Sync monitors aren't suddenly going to buy a FreeSync monitor, it isn't a selling point.

No I'm not, there's a thread about that on here we're a lot of us were in agreement (and amazement I guess) that AMD drivers don't crash as often.

30 Watts =/= 100 Watts

103-Overview-Power-Consumption-Torture.p

Less flaming more gaming friends. Keep calm and represent PC master race.

Personally GTX 970s in SLI would offer vastly superior performance to a GTX 980 for ~$100-150 more but SLI support is not perfect and if you play a lot of early access or beta release games then a single flagship card is best for you.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

People that aren't buying G-Sync monitors aren't suddenly going to buy a FreeSync monitor, it isn't a selling point.

No I'm not, there's a thread about that on here we're a lot of us were in agreement (and amazement I guess) that AMD drivers don't crash as often.

30 Watts =/= 100 Watts

-snip-

I'm sorry I really don't in the middle of this but - Reference to Reference in regards to the 290x and Gtx 980     980 reference uses 177W,       R9 290x uses 300W or a little over.     OC'd cards will clearly draw more. 

FSX, I'm with you on this however. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

970 SLI.

I was waiting for the new card to release and thought.... I'll just grab a 970 to give to my partner if the 390x is worth my money...

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Just cuz people pay for something doesn't mean it isn't minor.

$100+ is paltry. People buy Apple stuff, sports cars that they never race in, and shiny rocks.

AMD's drivers are fine. Been using them the last 6 years and no issue. Please no fanboyism.

Yes AMD's cards take more power. Its not a biggy for everyone.

Sports cars aren't just for racing you know... Some people buy them to be safer (as well as show off).

OT: A 970 would do but it wouldn't hurt to see what happens with the 390x. Hell, it might even drop the price of the 970 and make it even cheaper.

Get 5 Titan Z's. One is for your desk just so you can look at it, other 4 in system.

No but seriously get a 980 or something, it's a kick ass card and will last you a while, and you can SLI it later.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]