Alienware 17 R1 4710M

Saint9999
Go to solution Solved by Saint9999,

I own an Alienware 17 R1 DON'T BUY IT. The performance is great but the build quality is trash. I've had the finish on the laptop peeling off just after a month of getting it, the mobo bricked twice (luckily both times were while i was still under warrant). You're much better off getting an ASUS, MSI, Origin or any other brand but Alienware. Dell cut their costs of manufacturing hardcore with these laptops, the older Alienwares were great high quality machines but these new ones are f***ing terrible but still the same price as the older models. I strongly urge you to NOT buy an Alienware or anything from Dell. Im not really one to boycotte but dell is a worthy corperation.

Edit: Also specs wise that thing isn't worth $1350,

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that the LED control board on the thing died as well so the LED's were non functional. Also they consider off a color when they count the like 18 colors it can output.

wow thanks for the advice

Hello guys

I am planning to buy one 120 hz  gaming laptop , i dont want to buy a desktop it takes too much space and the lack of  portability 

there are only few 120hz available  in market as i done my researches 

thing i need to know 
alienware 17

is this a good gaming laptop ?
anyone owns its ? how is ur experience ?
what all thing i should be worried about before buying this laptop ?
how much fps can u get on this on Counter sticker GO max settings ?
How much Fps will i get on battle field 4  highest settings ?

Your kind sugggesions are always welcome 

thanks   :)

That 860M isn't going to be able to drive the 120Hz 1080P display... Like at all. At the rated speed. Thus making the refresh rate useless. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I would love a laptop with dual 980Ms and a 120hz/144hz display

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Ehh, that's a bad idea. An 860m is no slouch, but it's not worth the premium for a built in 120hz display

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Alienware? Oh you mean Dell with a little hype and a retarded amount of unnecessary colors and "pimpin"

But no I wouldn't purchase this laptop.

on the topic of CS:GO

i have this brick: http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_300-6_70d159b203.jpg

and it runs at 60fps pretty much flawlessly.

i suggest picking up an msi laptop, a lot of people at my school have those, and they are worth their money. and if you need that 120fps, go for an external display. (guessing you wont need that 120fps for a spreadsheet at school/work -.o )

EDIT: forgot to mention, alienware laptops are far from portable. they are heavy, hot (dont put them anywhere else than a flat table), the power brick is massive, they're too thick to fit in a regular laptop bag easily.

The GPU seems rather weak.

Personally I'd much rather get a PC that can run max settings at 60 FPS(60Hz). You shouldn't prioritize the refresh rate on the screen, you'll get a much better experience if that money goes into else, like the graphic card. Anything above 60 FPS is going to have minimal improvements, only get it if you got too much money on your hands.

At least that's my 1x2cents

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I own an Alienware 17 R1 DON'T BUY IT. The performance is great but the build quality is trash. I've had the finish on the laptop peeling off just after a month of getting it, the mobo bricked twice (luckily both times were while i was still under warrant). You're much better off getting an ASUS, MSI, Origin or any other brand but Alienware. Dell cut their costs of manufacturing hardcore with these laptops, the older Alienwares were great high quality machines but these new ones are f***ing terrible but still the same price as the older models. I strongly urge you to NOT buy an Alienware or anything from Dell. Im not really one to boycotte but dell is a worthy corperation.

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that the LED control board on the thing died as well so the LED's were non functional. Also they consider off a color when they count the like 18 colors it can output.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

wow thanks for the advice