AMD A10-5800k running at very high temps!?! *NEED HELP*

mightytech

Ok i'll start with a little back story. Back a couple months ago i convinced my dad to let me build him a new computer. He gave me a very low budget. so i got what i could. it ran cool then. the power supply was a coolmax 500w psu i knew it was bad but it was all we could get.Due to the power supply though, i had to underclock the CPU. I used AMD catalyst control center because the power supply wasnt good enough. Just recently we bought a corsair GS series 700w. after i bought that i put it back to stock (3.9GHz) it started running very hot. It ran at around 50-60 at idle (I know). So we bought a new cooler. (We were using stock at the time) it is a NZXT T20. we are still running at 45-50 at idle. My uncle said it might be because the PSU fan dosnt turn on. Help would be appreciated.

Update:

So the BIOS says that it is running at 28ish and HWmonitor says its running at 45-50ish Which one do i trust?

BIOS. BIOS is always correct. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Ok IDK what HWmonitor is doing

HWmonitor is usually pretty good, seems pretty accurate to me.

Also about the temperature readings in the BIOS, I have been informed by someone that they are sometimes reading 8-10 degrees higher so I would trust HWmonitor.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1382197.html

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

HWmonitor is usually pretty good, seems pretty accurate to me.

Also about the temperature readings in the BIOS, I have been informed by someone that they are sometimes reading 8-10 degrees higher so I would trust HWmonitor.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1382197.html

well 8-10 degrees from 28 is not 45-50 or even sometimes 60 at idle

well 8-10 degrees from 28 is not 45-50 or even sometimes 60 at idle

I know but I'm just saying, I've heard that the BIOS temperature reading isn't that accurate.

I ignore what the BIOS reading tells me and only take note of what HWmonitor tells me but your problem I can't think of anything to try at the moment

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Ok now HWmonitor says 60-75ish. i know the NZXT should keep it cool. either HWmonitor is messed up or somethings wrong 0_0

Something has to be wrong, could the cooler be faulty?

60 degrees at idle is very hot.

Ok now HWmonitor says 60-75ish. i know the NZXT should keep it cool. either HWmonitor is messed up or somethings wrong 0_0

Show us a screenshot of your HWmonitor. I have an FX 8150 and the readings are incorrect on certain parts and I have to read another temperature reading in order to actually find my CPU temperature.

p37yq.png

This is mine, the one in Red is my actual CPU temperature and the one in green is a false reading. I can verify this by going into my BIOS. It MIGHT be the same for you.

System Specs:

Bios readings in AM3+ boards are very inaccurate.  From experience their sensors are not placed on the socket itself.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

maybe voltages?

What are the voltages?

Show us a screenshot of your HWmonitor. I have an FX 8150 and the readings are incorrect on certain parts and I have to read another temperature reading in order to actually find my CPU temperature.

p37yq.png

This is mine, the one in Red is my actual CPU temperature and the one in green is a false reading. I can verify this by going into my BIOS. It MIGHT be the same for you.

My FX 6300 has the same thing but it may just be for the FX not the A-Series

That is weird, maybe it's an AMD thing :) but those temps there look good.

I've run HWmonitor and hundreds of Intel's and never seeing anything like that, sure if weird.

That is weird, maybe it's an AMD thing :) but those temps there look good.

I've run HWmonitor and hundreds of Intel's and never seeing anything like that, sure if weird.

So its safe? Me and my dad are worried because he runs his business off this!

Also would like to point out. If it was running at 80 degrees your PC would of more than likely shut itself off as a safety precaution. Can you feel around the CPU cooler to see if its getting very hot? If not and its mildly warm then i'd pay no attention to the strange high temperatures. Unless you can feel a great amount of heat coming from somewhere on the motherboard? I know the mosfets on my board get really hot (replacing my board with a new one soon).

System Specs:

So its safe? Me and my dad are worried because he runs his business off this!

I was referring to the other guys temps, I thought those were yours at 36 degrees which is fine

I didn't see what you posted but temps at 60-65 gaming I'd say is OK but not at idle, I'd have a lot at getting another cooler because that is all I can think of that might be an issue but I really don't know so I'd PM someone you know who is good with computers and run it past them, I wouldn't want to give you wrong information.

EDIT: Shit I've noticed your maximum voltage, at 1.5v no wonder it's getting hot, reduce the voltage and that should solve your heating issue, I could be wrong but 1.5v is a lot.

The maximum temperature the CPU can hit is around 60 degrees before it begins to throttle and/or shut down the PC completely. If have experienced no throttling or shutting down then i'd say you're more than safe.

EDIT: Check CPU-Z and see if the CPU frequency doesn't stay where it should be staying.

System Specs:

XrKYlCK.png

Can you put it under some load, I'm curious if the voltage goes up to 1.544v

I was referring to the other guys temps, I thought those were yours at 36 degrees which is fine

I didn't see what you posted but temps at 60-65 gaming I'd say is OK but not at idle, I'd have a lot at getting another cooler because that is all I can think of that might be an issue but I really don't know so I'd PM someone you know who is good with computers and run it past them, I wouldn't want to give you wrong information.

EDIT: Shit I've noticed your maximum voltage, at 1.5v no wonder it's getting hot, reduce the voltage and that should solve your heating issue, I could be wrong but 1.5v is a lot.

Well i looked it up and normal perameters are 0.825V - 1.475V

Well i looked it up and normal perameters are 0.825V - 1.475V

Aww well that sucks, I thought I had cracked it lol

Bioshock possibly but I don't know, I've got to start gaming more so I have a good idea on things