FX CPU?

just gonna drop this real-life comparison in here:

i7 4770 (stock speed) w/ GT640 on a minecraft server (we can all agree minecraft is cpu-heavy right? oh, and single threaded...)

AMD 8 core (8xxx series, forgot which one, slight OC) w/ GTX760 on the same minecraft server, with identically set up instance

i7: 60-ish fps

AMD 8-core: 20fps

note this testing was done on the most laggy minecraft instance you can imagine. (in case anyone is into modded minecraft: 20K multiparts)

conclusion: in single core performance intel is WAY ahead, the AMD build was (aside from the graphics card, and some other decisions) cheaper

can we please bury the intel/amd argument, and help the guy out?

on that note: as said, the extra cores wont do you much, and if you replace your cpu, might as well replace the mobo.

i'd say either stay with what you have, or consider making the move to intel, which is gonna cost a fair bit (hence why i'd recommend sticking with what you have for now)

yeah! they even said at that speed it was almost as fast as a core i3-4130 when playing DOTA2 and Planetside 2 ;)

Lol, a 8350 at 8.6GHz is not even faster than a haswell at stock in Superpi

http://hwbot.org/submission/2459716_der8auer_superpi___1m_fx_8350_9sec_125ms

http://hwbot.org/submission/2552758_lordakuma_superpi___1m_core_i5_4670k_9sec_94ms

snip

Not that i care that much but....

Proof? My athlon 2 450 would run minecraft fine.

The 8370 took the crown. (being a higher binned 8350.)

http://wccftech.com/stlit-hits-world-record-amd-fx-8370-clocked-87ghz/

The 8350 was also with 6 of the cores disabled, while the 8370 was with everything enabled.

http://hwbot.org/submission/%202615355

is the one you're on about

previous world record: http://hwbot.org/submission/2294034_andreyang_cpu_frequency_fx_8150_8709_mhz

@iAveex

Which games are you playing mainaly?

And how do you play them?

I also would like to ask which gpu do you have right now?

Just to determine, if it even makes sense to upgrade to whatever cpu.

@iAveex

Which games are you playing mainaly?

And how do you play them?

I also would like to ask which gpu do you have right now?

Just to determine, if it even makes sense to upgrade to whatever cpu.

It's already pointed out for a gaming system there's zero benefits from a 8350 over a 6300.

why do people keep coming in here with intel fanboy crap when the op clearly stated they did not want to cross over? it doesn't matter what you think is better because they want amd.

8350 is the best bet, it has 2 more cores than 6300 which will benefit in games like battlefield 4 and dragonage inquisition ,any mantle game and when dx12 comes out you will benefit from every game over the 6300.

the 8 core is much better for gaming over the 6 dont listen to these retards, the 8 core helps with live streaming your games, rendering/editing your gaming videos,and doing multiple things while you are gaming such as browsing /watching videos music etc.

this entire forum has to be filled with intel employees its really crazy for all the amd hate here, you have to remember...this is the same place that will try to say a core2duo and core2quad beats a fx 8350 lolz.

You're lying about Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age taking advantage of 8 cores, that's total fanboyism.

y95KWeVl.jpg

With 6 threads you can't satify 8 cores, can you?

Dragon age is also BS;

CPU_2.png

4960x doing better than the 5960x, a 8350 that's 50% worse than a i5, a 6350 that just performs literally the same isn't "benefiting from 8 cores".

why do people keep coming in here with intel fanboy crap when the op clearly stated they did not want to cross over? it doesn't matter what you think is better because they want amd.

8350 is the best bet, it has 2 more cores than 6300 which will benefit in games like battlefield 4 and dragonage inquisition ,any mantle game and when dx12 comes out you will benefit from every game over the 6300.

Your precius 8350 loses to an i3 in bf4.

Theres a reason people dont recommend FX cpus for gaming.

570x421xbattlefield-4-fps2.png.pagespeed

Thats in single player in multiplayer the fx 8350 at 5ghz perfrorms worse than an i5 at stock.

bf4_cpu_radeon.png

BF4 is one of the most heavily threaded games out there and the 8350 loses to an i5 even when theres a 2 ghz diff between the two.

Unless you are a psychic you can say if games will work better or worse on amd cpus , lets stick to what we know right now.

Right know the i3s and i5s of the world destroy the amd cpus at gaming , its not  been a fanboy its a little something called "facts"

and empirical proof.

OP, get a nice cooler and see how far you can OC that 6300. Your ASUS M5A97 R2.0 does indeed support overclocking. Grab a Noctua NH-D15 if your case fits or an AIO water cooler if it doesn't for $100.

You'll get much better gaming performance increase than upgrading to 8350 if you're 6300 is a nice overclocker. For a lot less money too.

Your precius 8350 loses to an i3 in bf4.

Theres a reason people dont recommend FX cpus for gaming.

Thats in single player in multiplayer the fx 8350 at 5ghz perfrorms worse than an i5 at stock.

BF4 is one of the most heavily threaded games out there and the 8350 loses to an i5 even when theres a 2 ghz diff between the two.

Unless you are a psychic you can say if games will work better or worse on amd cpus , lets stick to what we know right now.

Right know the i3s and i5s of the world destroy the amd cpus at gaming , its not  been a fanboy its a little something called "facts"

and empirical proof.

And yet from my 8320 @ 4.5Ghz i get these results, which were recording using fraps on a BF4 server which was full with 64/64 people in first-person spectator mode.

Graphics settings were set to the "Ultra" preset and was running DX11.

Results

Min: 51

Max: 114

Average: 84

f528a1e4a05ec266ecbdf8c83111d869.png

Files: http://www.filedropper.com/benchmarks

dbd7e459f6b6a6a44541ae7c8db12ac8.png

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

AMD FX LOL. The 6300 is hust as good as the 8350 in all but the most intense mutithreaded of situations and they are few and far far between.

You're lying about Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age taking advantage of 8 cores, that's total fanboyism.

any game that uses mantle will use all 8 cores/threads.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

It's already pointed out for a gaming system there's zero benefits from a 8350 over a 6300.

Thats why i am asking which games he plays.

Because indeed not all games will benefit from an upgrade to a FX8 core.

And it also depends on the gpu offcourse, because if you have a lowend or midrange gpu.

You will often getting GPU limited rather then cpu. so yeah....

Then a cpu upgrade in the first place, wont realy make sense. :)

ummm....

what? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

humm...no...not at all mate...thief run's with mantle and still use only 2 main threads and 2 trash threads like it does under dx11...thats not how mantle works.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ummm....

what? 

mantle will use all 8 cores on a fx8. thats what its designed to do..to spread load evenly over all cores.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Even still using 4 threads that are more powerful is better than 8 threads that suck. That's why a 4 core Intel beats an 8 core AMD FX in any game.

Even still using 4 threads that are more powerful is better than 8 threads that suck. That's why a 4 core Intel beats an 8 core AMD FX in any game.

cool

mantle will use all 8 cores on a fx8. thats what its designed to do..to spread load evenly over all cores.

not really, mantle allow a lot more drawcalls to the cpu increasing its overhead..but it does not mean that a game will run more threads...they might spread out more but the performance gains arent caused by that...it has nothing to do with how many threads a game actualy use unfortunately.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

cool

Truth Intel Core i5 Haswell or Devils Canyon is better in any game. At best FX is on par and even then go online and all bets are off ... intel wins. I have heard this BS that more cores will be better sice before AMD FX was even reality and that fact is AMD FX still Suck !

Dear lord youall are so funny. GO Intel !!! GO AMD !!! He has a AMD he wants to NOT I REPEAT NOT SWITCH OUT THE MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!!!!! If you feel sluggish playing man and running 1 vid card. get another to X fire or SLI or even a faster card and make sure your ram is 1600 or better and around 16 gigs worth. The main problem is the FX days are at a end and intel done there 4th gen and new stuff is coming soon. Save up.. Relax ;) and don't let these ego maniacs tell you this or that. Back to basics always.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Dear lord youall are so funny. GO Intel !!! GO AMD !!! He has a AMD he wants to NOT I REPEAT NOT SWITCH OUT THE MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!!!!! If you feel sluggish playing man and running 1 vid card. get another to X fire or SLI or even a faster card and make sure your ram is 1600 or better and around 16 gigs worth. The main problem is the FX days are at a end and intel done there 4th gen and new stuff is coming soon. Save up.. Relax ;) and don't let these ego maniacs tell you this or that. Back to basics always.

FX cant run CFX/SLI. ... It's to laggy cause of CPU bottelneck.

REALY!!! You threw that out there. Can you not read the original post??!!!! maybe he don't have enough modem speed. Hrm then it doesn't matter either way.I'm just trying to give him a educated answer other than go this way go that way. Witch a lot spent too much money on the education that they do have and don't make common since that god gave there toothbrush. Power consumption, Intel VS AMD. All are Political Tec Jackasses. Do the research on your own go with what you know and be happy. BTW I have a feeling they are going to half to separate us Mr Martyr.. You DALEK!!!! ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

I wanna buy a new AMD cpu, i have fx6300, but i want to upgrade in the near future. And i can't be bothered to switch out my motherboard, to get an i5. 

So what should i get, something top of the line ?

Your best bet is a 8320, anything other than a 8370 is pointless and a 8320 is basically a underclocked 8350/70. 

I have my 8320 on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 and it works fine.

Just make sure to turn of AMD TurboCore once you get the 8320 or 8 core FX cpu because it's a known problem for the M5A97 R2.0 to have freezing issues with AMD TurboCore on