i7 4790k running way too hot (100°C), default mobo settings

I'm pretty sure the stock cooler should be able to do the job, I just decided to replace mine as lower temps will benefit the longevity of the chip. But yeah both of your stock coolers could have been mounted poorly/incorrectly and/or could be a thermal paste issue, I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah - I think I will email Dino PC to see what they say about it

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try but if you do disable it-what frequency does the RAM now become?

dont worry about that right now

disable xmp

get your cpu temps sorted out

i can help you get your memory speeds back up with xmp disabled when your DONE diagnosing the cpu temps

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

don worry about that right now

disable xmp

get your cpu temps sorted out

i can help you get your memory speeds back up with xmp disabled when your DONE diagnosing the cpu temps

Thanks. That's fine-I wont be able to test that now. I'll do it tomorrow (I'm in England) but will report back with my results

Right, I have to go now but thanks to all of you for your great help. I will report my findings later on and I think I may email Dino PC just to check what they say about it as it may be worth checking on the off chance that the CPU is faulty.

Rupert

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a new gaming pc from Dino PC (Pre-built). I have not changed the motherboard settings and have noticed that when exporting a large video out of movie maker that the temperatures of all cores were running at over 90°C. They even reached 100°c which flagged up on RealTempGT. I'm not sure what to do and am considering emailing Dino PC encase there is an issue with the chip.

Specs: i7 4790k (fresh- no oc)

16gb 2400 Mhz corsair vengeance pro

4gb GTX 970 Palit (1205 mhz)

Corsair 650w vs

Zalman z11 Plus (Came with 5 inbuilt fans - 1x120mm front, 1 x 120mm top, 1x 120mm rear, 2x 80 mm side,

I have no additional cooling - all stock heat sinks and default case fans

If you think the problem may be fan mounts and so on, I will send the PC back as I do not want to void the warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if you need any extra info, let me know.

Rupert

You should really stop using the PC for now

Check Ur thermal paste and see if its boiled by the 100°c or if its even there

Also get a hyper 212 evo or a liquid cooler for a start

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Yeah - I think I will email Dino PC to see what they say about it

Ok, yeah. I'm interested to see what they say. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

There's no problem with an Intel stock cooler on stock settings. More than likely what happened is a Dino PC guy fudged up when he put the heatsink on. All the op needs to do is get a little thermal paste, take off the heatsink clean the CPU/heatsink of thermal paste, and reapply the paste, then put the heatsink back on and everything will return to normal. Intel heatsinks arent shitty, they will keep a CPU plenty cool, but if you overclock it, then it loses effectiveness, this is not the case in this scenario. 5$ thermal paste and a little bit of work is all that's required to fix the Dino PC guys fudge up.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Ok so I've disabled XMP as suggested then ran Cinebench and the temperatures reached 80c. Then I downloaded Prime95 just to double check and the temperatures soared to 100c!!! I'm still not sure what to do, as I say if it requires refitting the cooler I'll send it to dino pc to avoid warranty void!

You should really stop using the PC for now

Check Ur thermal paste and see if its boiled by the 100°c or if its even there

Also get a hyper 212 evo or a liquid cooler for a start

Where is the thermal paste (Sorry for the noobness) as I'll check its not boiled

Where is the thermal paste (Sorry for the noobness) as I'll check its not boiled

It's underneath the CPU cooler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. I emailed Dino PC and they were very supportive, they told me what to look for in terms of components but there seemed to be nothing wrong. So Dino PC have arranged to pick up the PC for no charge and will find the fault and replace the CPU encase the temperatures damaged it. Thanks everyone for your support!

Rupert

Tell them to put a good cooler on too, the stock intel coolers are garbage.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Just got that little beast yesterday, auto volts are a bit hit and miss :(

Try lower the Volts and keep the rest auto, i can run it at 1.100V, mine gets very hot past 1.260 but 4.9Ghz.

¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

• 1 month later...

Had exactly the same issue with mine. Was getting 90+ temps when rendering in After Effects. I bought the Hyper 212 evo as a replacement and now my temps don't go above 65C.

hmmmmm is 65C a max and you rarely hit it or is it a regular temp?

I'm running stock cooling and I hit 75C on average at max load while gaming. I was considering a 212 evo but if I am only going to get a 10C drop in temps I may not have to worry about it as much as I was thinking.

But back to original Post, my computer is fairly close in specs and I would agree the CPU fan is not connected correctly. Mine falls into what as far as I can tell is normal operating parameters. About 70C-75C at full load but not hitting a sustained 80C (I don't remember seeing any of the 4790K's cores above 78C). I just don't like how close those numbers are.

Tweaking the CPU fan settings to be more aggressive didn't seem to make a difference as the fan already ran at 100% when hot, I'm just concerned about the temps because it's winter and the room will get warmer in the summer.

Hmm maybe. Are those temperatures higher than they should be?

Those temps are WAY higher than they ever should be. My guess is thermal paste or cooler is installed correctly. Try reapplying the paste and re-seating the cooler

hmmmmm is 65C a max and you rarely hit it or is it a regular temp?

I'm running stock cooling and I hit 75C on average at max load while gaming. I was considering a 212 evo but if I am only going to get a 10C drop in temps I may not have to worry about it as much as I was thinking.

But back to original Post, my computer is fairly close in specs and I would agree the CPU fan is not connected correctly. Mine falls into what as far as I can tell is normal operating parameters. About 70C-75C at full load but not hitting a sustained 80C (I don't remember seeing any of the 4790K's cores above 78C). I just don't like how close those numbers are.

Tweaking the CPU fan settings to be more aggressive didn't seem to make a difference as the fan already ran at 100% when hot, I'm just concerned about the temps because it's winter and the room will get warmer in the summer.

65C/66C Max (at 100% load).

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

• 2 months later...

Where are you getting the readings from? It should shut down at just above 90c.

Might be the cooler not seated properly, also worth setting a manual voltage which will be significantly lower and safer than the auto mode by default on the bios, you could run a heavy OC and still hit lower volts...

¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦