Painting Motherboard heatsinks.

maizepath
Go to solution Solved by Scheer,

Btw, i will open up my case this weekend to see if i can remove the heatsinks. Thanks for the tips!

Most motherboards, if not all at this point, simply use a couple of screws and springs and are dead simple, just be careful to not lose the spring. If they are plastic pins, you can still remove them, but they are fairly easy to break so be careful.

Make sure you use lots of masking tape. And yes but make sure it's relatively heat resistant 'Heat resistant spray paint'.

I wouldn't worry about getting heat resistant paint, I doubt a heatsink ever goes above 75 degrees C, and even 99 cent cans will take that no problem. I would highly recommend avoiding cheap paint though, it doesn't spray as evenly, cure as hard, last as long. Buy a $5-$6 can of Rustoleum or so, it is well worth the money, take your time and do several light coats.

Personally I wouldn't bother with priming, anodized heatsinks already have a good texture to them, and its not like you will be touching them much. I do recommend to clean them off with rubbing alcohol to get any oils off though.

And lastly, DO NOT RUSH and install them before the recommended curing time on the can. If it says 48 hours before fully cured, leave it alone for 48 hours. Its really hard to mess up spray paint if you follow the directions, but it seems to be really hard for people to follow the instructions...  :P

Hey guys.

I want to paint my motherboard heatsinks, any tips?

Would a normal spray paint from a random store work?

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Make sure you use lots of masking tape. And yes but make sure it's relatively heat resistant 'Heat resistant spray paint'.

Might be good to avoid spraying the bottom to maintain good contact and heat transfer with the chipset die underneath, but on the top go crazy!!

I say paint it UV, make sure to have yellow IDE cables and a green, neon tinted, spider shaped side window as well as a blue case.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Hey guys.

I want to paint my motherboard heatsinks, any tips?

Would a normal spray paint from a random store work?

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Any spray paint will work, personally I'd remove the heatsinks before painting to lessen masking and not risk the motherboard. As for dissipation it will only affect it maybe a few degrees at most.

Btw, i will open up my case this weekend to see if i can remove the heatsinks. Thanks for the tips!

Most motherboards, if not all at this point, simply use a couple of screws and springs and are dead simple, just be careful to not lose the spring. If they are plastic pins, you can still remove them, but they are fairly easy to break so be careful.

I wouldn't worry about getting heat resistant paint, I doubt a heatsink ever goes above 75 degrees C, and even 99 cent cans will take that no problem. I would highly recommend avoiding cheap paint though, it doesn't spray as evenly, cure as hard, last as long. Buy a $5-$6 can of Rustoleum or so, it is well worth the money, take your time and do several light coats.

Personally I wouldn't bother with priming, anodized heatsinks already have a good texture to them, and its not like you will be touching them much. I do recommend to clean them off with rubbing alcohol to get any oils off though.

And lastly, DO NOT RUSH and install them before the recommended curing time on the can. If it says 48 hours before fully cured, leave it alone for 48 hours. Its really hard to mess up spray paint if you follow the directions, but it seems to be really hard for people to follow the instructions...  :P

And lastly, DO NOT RUSH and install them before the recommended curing time on the can. If it says 48 hours before fully cured, leave it alone for 48 hours. Its really hard to mess up spray paint if you follow the directions, but it seems to be really hard for people to follow the instructions... :P

Thanks man! Appreciate it.