GoPro Shares Plunge After Apple Gains Remote Camera Patent

GoPro shares dove Tuesday after Apple received a slew of patents, including one suggesting it could get into the sports camera business.

Included among several patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to Apple Monday, one is for a wearable camera that could compete with a certain high-definition camera maker that just went public last year.

Shares of GoPro GPRO sunk more than 12%.

Apple's patent application, filed in March 2012, says the camera can be mounted on bikes or scuba masks, and will take pictures and record sounds under water. It can be operated remotely, says the application, which references the GoPro HD Hero2 digital camera.

Sources:

yeah made a little coin on that short. thx apple because of you I made 3 handles

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

honestly imo, GoPro doesn't have much to worry about from Apple

GoPro should worry more about Smart Drones that are able to follow you passively and record you instead.

Why wear the camera, when the camera can follow you ?

If apple's version is 700$, won't have an sd card and will only connect to IOS devices I'm going to laugh like a madman.

People will still buy it.

honestly imo, GoPro doesn't have much to worry about from Apple

GoPro should worry more about Smart Drones that are able to follow you passively and record you instead.

Why wear the camera, when the camera can follow you ?

Good point, but GoPros will still be the most popular and more importantly more practical for extreme sports which is like the demographic for these types of devices.

For example, a drone won't work if you're motorxing through a thick forest, parachuting from a plane, extreme snowboard or when diving underwater.  

Good point, but GoPros will still be the most popular and more importantly more practical for extreme sports which is like the demographic for these types of devices.

For example, a drone won't work if you're motorxing through a thick forest, parachuting from a plane, extreme snowboard or when diving underwater.  

true.

totally forgot about those activities

haha been watching too many of my friends using go pro for their boring Vlogs   :D

Does this mean if gopro want to add a remote control to their camera (or even a second sensor) they would have to pay apple?   Sounds like a pretty flimsy patent to me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Doesn't GoPro already have remote apps and a remote controller?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Does this mean if gopro want to add a remote control to their camera (or even a second sensor) they would have to pay apple?   Sounds like a pretty flimsy patent to me.

Yes, that's exactly what was said in the article.  :rolleyes:

I'm guessing nobody read anything in the article. The article was poorly written to begin with, but this doesn't have anything to do with gopro at all. The investors that dumped their stock due to this are dumb and I hope they lost money. This patent is going to be used with the apple watch and iphone/ipad so you can use your watch as a view finder, control zoom and start/stop recording/take a picture. 

I'm guessing nobody read anything in the article. The article was poorly written to begin with, but this doesn't have anything to do with gopro at all. The investors that dumped their stock due to this are dumb and I hope they lost money. This patent is going to be used with the apple watch and iphone/ipad so you can use your watch as a view finder, control zoom and start/stop recording/take a picture. 

yeah thats what I figured it would be used for

I 100% doubt apple would start making action cameras, that would be a strange market for them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes, that's exactly what was said in the article.  :rolleyes:

No it doesn't, it simply says apple were granted the patent, it does not stipulate if this patent prevents gopro from adding remote control to their products.

And even if it did allude to it, that still doesn't mean its true.  I would like to hear other peoples opinions on the subject.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No it doesn't, it simply says apple were granted the patent, it does not stipulate if this patent prevents gopro from adding remote control to their products.

And even if it did allude to it, that still doesn't mean its true.  I would like to hear other peoples opinions on the subject.

Hur dur sarcasm. 

People will still buy it.

Some people will, but honestly I feel like the gopro audience actually cares more about what they're getting for their money. Especially when it comes to ruggedness and expandable storage.

Either way the patent is probably something for the apple watch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*