HELP!My rig is getting fried!

AlmondNoTitties
Go to solution Solved by AlwaysFSX,

I know, but i installed one simple file that made the change.

Is that so? I guess the coil whine scared the crap out of me and my panic mode activated. Regardless, thank you for explaining it to me.

Yessirrie, it's supposed to run at max utilization, that's how hard it's working to draw more frames. You can try a different power supply or put the card in a different system to see if the whine continues. If it does contact manufacturer to see if you can RMA it.

I need serious help, my GPU started acting strange in the past few days and this is the problem: http://imgur.com/PfzsDks http://imgur.com/9POHPbh http://imgur.com/0hft5Vo . These numbers popped up after using the MSI Kombustor 3.0 application. The problem began after i started modding Skyrim, before I played BF4 with max settings without any issues and DayZ Standalone/Mod. Please help me fix this, I fear that something might blow up in my rig.

PC Spec:

• CPU  intel core i5-4690k
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
  • GPU
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
  • Case
    NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Storage
    Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    XFX 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  •  
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. V1.0, 08/04/2014

SMBIOS Version: 2.8

If it's not functioning as intended, send it back and get a new one

Compatible with Windows 95

When i looked at the MSI Afterburner results, it wasn't only the GPU that was acting strange, but my CPU and RAM (Don't remember getting such high numbers in the afterburner)

When i looked at the MSI Afterburner results, it wasn't only the GPU that was acting strange, but my CPU and RAM (Don't remember getting such high numbers in the afterburner)

What numbers, describe what you see as being wrong. Explain your problem instead of this.

Terrible advice for something functioning normally.

I don't think a 970 is ever supposed to get that hot is the cooler working? did you overclock it?

NVM looked at wrong graph

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Does this issue happen in a Linux environment?

Why, thanks for the constructive criticism

Why, thanks for the constructive criticism

Look at the graph and use your noggin. It's running at 40C, and shows it's under load. What is the problem here other than the OP not knowing what these numbers mean?

What numbers, describe what you see as being wrong. Explain your problem instead of this.

The GPU usage is too high, same goes with FB usage and the temperature sky rockets drastically with the Power%. I get the same results when i turn on the Kombuster and Skyrim (haven't checked any other game or program yet).

I don't think a 970 is ever supposed to get that hot is the cooler working? did you overclock it?

NVM looked at wrong graph

Haven't overclocked.

The GPU usage is too high, same goes with FB usage and the temperature sky rockets drastically with the Power%. I get the same results when i turn on the Kombuster and Skyrim (haven't checked any other game or program yet).

GPU usage goes up when running a stress test...

Okay, explain what you mean or this is going in the books.

Look at the graph and use your noggin. It's running at 40C, and shows it's under load. What is the problem here other than the OP not knowing what these numbers mean?

The GPU is making a weird sound when it goes this high (This is my concern). I believe having GPU usage really high isn't a bad thing. The issue I'm stressing about is that, i get the same results in both the game (where it did not happen at the start/before modding) and the APP. I have the right to be concerned as i didn't get these kind of numbers earlier and would like to return my GPU to that state.

I didn't infer that it wasn't functional, only that if it wasn't working, he should send it back.

The GPU is making a weird sound when it goes this high (This is my concern). I believe having GPU usage really high isn't a bad thing. The issue I'm stressing about is that, i get the same results in both the game (where it did not happen at the start/before modding) and the APP.

That's normal, it's coil whine. Really, it's no issue.

The GPU is making a weird sound when it goes this high (This is my concern). I believe having GPU usage really high isn't a bad thing. The issue I'm stressing about is that, i get the same results in both the game (where it did not happen at the start/before modding) and the APP. I have the right to be concerned as i didn't get these kind of numbers earlier and would like to return my GPU to that state.

Specify what numbers you're talking about dude..

The noise is called coil whine, it happens when electronics vibrate at high frequencies causing the noise. It either goes away on it's own or is caused by the card or power supply.

Specify what numbers you're talking about dude..

The noise is called coil whine, it happens when electronics vibrate at high frequencies causing the noise. It either goes away on it's own or is caused by the card or power supply.

This is an example. While playing BF4 around 3 days ago the GPU usage was around 35, the Power % didnt reach over 30, the FB usage stayed between 40-50 (can't remember the rest). Now with Skyrim the numbers were lower. Then i started modding the game and all of a sudden everything jumped up drastically and i never had coil whine before.

This is an example. While playing BF4 around 3 days ago the GPU usage was around 35, the Power % didnt reach over 30, the FB usage stayed between 40-50 (can't remember the rest). Now with Skyrim the numbers were lower. Then i started modding the game and all of a sudden everything jumped up drastically. 

That means that the gpu is actually being utilized, you don't want utilization low because it means it isn't running as fast as it should be.

there is nothing wrong with your gpu it is functioning as intended. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The other two links don't work. On the first link, the temperatures are normal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The other two links don't work. On the first link, the temperatures are normal.

The application was running for 10 seconds, didn't have time to heat up, also i ran the fans at almost max speed. 

That means that the gpu is actually being utilized, you don't want utilization low because it means it isn't running as fast as it should be.

Maybe I'm stressing over nothing, but i just don't like when something that works in one way changes within seconds into working in a different way. 

The application was running for 10 seconds, didn't have time to heat up, also i ran the fans at almost max speed. 

So, what are your temperatures?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Maybe I'm stressing over nothing, but i just don't like when something that works in one way changes within seconds into working in a different way. 

*sigh*

GPU usage means how much of the card is being utilized, you know English, you know what that means. Your card is running 100% A-OK.

Actually let me just ask you one question, is it normal for a "Game" to run the same results as a "Stress testing" application? In my eyes this isn't normal. 

*sigh*

GPU usage means how much of the card is being utilized, you know English, you know what that means. Your card is running 100% A-OK.

I see your point, and sorry for wasting your time, at least you gave me insight. By the way i deleted the Skyrim itself and the mods, and now everything is working as normal. I guess the game was the source of change. 

Actually let me just ask you one question, is it normal for a "Game" to run the same results as a "Stress testing" application? In my eyes this isn't normal. 

In games since they're not coded to essentially pin the card constantly it can fluctuate a little bit but it should be running at 99% almost all the time. It shouldn't drop to 70% or lower.