WD Black Hard Drive Noise

srashedian

Hello;

I have a western digital caviar black 2TB hdd and it makes a really annoying noise when it is working under load...

I uploaded a recording of the noise here: (Also attached on the post)

https://soundcloud.com/sajad-rashedian/wd-black-hdd-noise

Is this normal? Are blacks known to have this noise naturally?

HDD Noise.mp3

Blacks are known to be noisy but also the fastest of the Caviar line. Can't listen to the sound since I'm at school, but seeing as it's under load, it's probably normal.

Hi there @srashedian!

Can you run a test using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if there are any errors or bad sectors detected? If you decide to go with extended test make a backup of your data because if the program detects any problems it will try to fix them automatically. You can download it from here.

Let me know how it went. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there @srashedian!

Can you run a test using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if there are any errors or bad sectors detected? If you decide to go with extended test make a backup of your data because if the program detects any problems it will try to fix them automatically. You can download it from here.

Let me know how it went. :)

Hi;

Thanks for the reply, I did test my drive, It says:

Model Number: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

Firmware Number: 05.01D05

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: PASS

Also, I have had the drive for one year (from Jan 2014 to now) and didn't get any problems with speed or data inconsistency... Just a really annoying noise!

Hi;

Thanks for the reply, I did test my drive, It says:

Model Number: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

Firmware Number: 05.01D05

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: PASS

Also, I have had the drive for one year (from Jan 2014 to now) and didn't get any problems with speed or data inconsistency... Just a really annoying noise!

Hi again. :)

Another thing you can try, in case you have a desktop, is to check if the drive is not mounted loose. If it's stable, then you can contact our support and see if you can arrange a RMA of the drive since it is still under warranty.

Cheers and best of luck! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

black drives are normally loud i have one and i can here it but i still love it because its so fast at loading my games

Mine are almost silent.... I have 2 1TB 7200rpm blacks in raid 0.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I have the same HDD and that's the sound they make.

they are a nosier than the greens for sure and have more of a deeper clicking noise.

I think it sounds pretty normal.

Intel i7 4790K | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Motherboard | Kingston Beast 16Gb 2400Mhz RAM | Corsair AX860i Power supply | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Storm Trooper w/ window | Samsung EVO 500gb SSD | WD Black 2TB | Asus GTX980

Mine are almost silent.... I have 2 1TB 7200rpm blacks in raid 0.

i also think its down to his case causing vibration :)

i also think its down to his case causing vibration :)

They also dont really vibrate, im impressed with mine

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

same here nice speed for a mechanical hard drive

ikr

I experience the same exact noise on my western digital drive, it happened to the replacement one too. Defragging didn't help. However it's silent when used as a secondary drive, without the operating system installed on it. I guess the header dislikes reading sectors here and there.

Blacks are just noisy. As much as I appreciate their reliability and performance, I downgraded to Greens for my own peace of mind.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

i had the same noise problem in my (brand new) define R5, decided to put a small amount of tape on the hard drive caddy, so its not metal to metal, and fits more snugly, it lowers the amount of noise noticably.

you wont get the noise away tho.

Hmm...how the drive mounted to the case? Bare metal screws, or are there any anti-vibration material?

I have three WD Caviar Black drives (1TB, 1TG, 640GB), in three different systems, and they don't make that loud of a noise under heavy load (even though they do tend to be louder than other drives).

Of course, the drives are not just simply bolted to the case -- they are in a drive caddy with rubber anti-vibration mounts.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>