I think my cousin fried his 780Ti.

So my young cousin got her mother to order him parts for a monster of a machine and decided to build it himself, including making his own custom watercooling loop. Long story short, the CPU block has leaked the cooling fluid right on to the graphics card's back which of course has no backplate to protect it. We're talking about an EVGA 780 Ti.

The fluid had dropped to no other place than exactly the opposite side of the processor, and all the circuitry in the backside was completely soaked in it. There was this clean little pool right on top of the processor.

He said the card "works" for a few minutes and then stops outputting picture. If you try to install Nvidia drivers, it stops outputting picture.

After letting the card dry for 24 hours or so, I took the heatsink off and got as much of the gunk out as I could with some isopropylic alcohol (IPA) and some gentle brushing with a toothbrush. I let the card dry again, put the heatsink back and tested the card. No luck. The same symptoms repeat themselves.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to get the card working or is it completely lost?

IMAGES (imgur)

This is why 10 year olds shouldn't start building watercooling loops.

"So my young cousin got her mother to order him parts for a monster of a machine"

u should complain to the company that u got the CPU block from i would and if u cant get the card working again i would recommend trying to RMA it and if evga don't accept it try selling it on ebay as faulty so u get some money back 

So my young cousin got her mother to order him parts for a monster of a machine and decided to build it himself, including making his own custom watercooling loop. Long story short, the CPU block has leaked the cooling fluid right on to the graphics card's back which of course has no backplate to protect it. We're talking about an EVGA 780 Ti.

The fluid had dropped to no other place than exactly the opposite side of the processor, and all the circuitry in the backside was completely soaked in it. There was this clean little pool right on top of the processor.

He said the card "works" for a few minutes and then stops outputting picture. If you try to install Nvidia drivers, it stops outputting picture.

After letting the card dry for 24 hours or so, I took the heatsink off and got as much of the gunk out as I could with some isopropylic alcohol (IPA) and some gentle brushing with a toothbrush. I let the card dry again, put the heatsink back and tested the card. No luck. The same symptoms repeat themselves.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to get the card working or is it completely lost?

IMAGES (imgur)

This is why 10 year olds shouldn't start building watercooling loops.

It looks like it's already fried since he turned it on when the liquid had just spilled this usually shorts tings out and blow pads/resistors.

Try to clean it again and let it swim in alcohol for a few hours.

I"m sorry to say it but I'm laughing my ass off atm.

Who in the world would spend so much money on a pc and then let a 10 year old watercool it.... And yes, the card probably will not funtion properly again. If it had not been turned on there may have been a chance.

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

Better RMA that card, I don't think it's gonna live to see the sun again

Also, who the hell let a 10 years old to do a custom waterloop build?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Looks dead to me

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

RMA the card and say that you don't know what happened. 
Or it was DOA.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

sorry, see if evga will accept an rma, they might not. but yeah thats all.

also never let children watercool, its by far the most difficult thing to do properly due to the boring proccess of checks.

RMA the card and say that you don't know what happened. 

Or it was DOA.

They won't accept it since you can see the liquid damage from miles away.

Better RMA that card, I don't think it's gonna live to see the sun again

Also, who the hell let a 10 years old to do a custom waterloop build?

Someone should not get an RMA or refund for such a stupid thing...

Look like you tempted murphy's law there, OP.

If they see that red stain then they might know it was from a leak from inproperly installing the gpu block. Also, if this was his first time then he should've not used a dyed coolant. I would imagine they are more conductive then distilled water and that may have shortened out the card faster.

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

That was just silly.  Buy a 10 year old legos, not thousands of dollars of PC equipment and let him put it together unsupervised. 

That card is dead.  At least it is EVGA, and they are pretty lenient when it comes to RMAs.  Clean it up AS BEST you can, and send it back.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

"So my young cousin got her mother to order him parts for a monster of a machine"

u should complain to the company that u got the CPU block from i would and if u cant get the card working again i would recommend selling it on ebay as faulty so u get some money back 

Didn't leak test, no right to complain to the manufacturer.

The coolant shouldn't have been conductive if it was, but who lets a 10 year old spend >$1000 on a computer? Even my parents were reluctant to let me spend £600 (inc monitor etc.) (~950usd at the time) and I was 13, with prior computer experience

As for fixing the card, try soaking it in isopropyl alcolhol to remove more of the coolant

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Sorry to mate but

rest_in_pepperoni_you_cheeky_scrublords.

if you are offended i will remove the image :)

only thing i can find under rip

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Lol, who thought a custom watercooling made by a 10yo with a 780ti was a good idea LOL.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

When we say PC building is so easy a child could do it, we don't literally mean it...

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Lol, who thought a custom watercooling made by a 10yo with a 780ti was a good idea LOL.

Who thought a 10 years old would be able to have all those things...

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

he said the CPU block was leaking not the loop and yes he should have leak tested it first 

Looks that way I doubt it'll work right. I would never recommend water cooling for your first time build especially at such a low age. I've worked on a bunch of computers but im still nervous when it comes to water cooling. It may be loud but I'm sticking with air cooling. There I know I cant fuck it up with water.

Agreed. You can tell that this was a stupid mistake. If they had at least leak tested it and put papertowels on the gpu it would've likely been saved.

Spill something red on the box, and then tell them that it arrived like that. :D

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Try to RMA it after making it look perfect as possible 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

From EVGA 
This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of the Product by the Purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not cover:
  • Defects or damage resulting from accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to liquid, submersion in oil, use of adhesives, use of solder, moisture, rust, cigarette residue, dampness, sand or dirt, neglect, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress.
  • Scratches, dents or cosmetic damage(s) caused to the product.
  • Defects or damage resulting from excessive force.
  • Equipment that has the serial number or factory identification labels removed, defaced, damaged, altered or made illegible.
  • Defects or damage resulting from 'the use of a product in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or secondary peripheral equipment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damages resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damage resulting from external causes such as collision with an object, fire, flooding, dirt, windstorms, lightning, earthquake, exposure to weather conditions, theft, blown fuses, or improper use of any electrical source.
  • Unauthorized changes to the BIOS or Firmware on graphics card that does not have a Dual BIOS option may cause this warranty to be null and void.

Your RMA condition is done, tell him that he has literally thrown 400$ out of the windows

#Gadget: