Folding@Home now on some android phones

First off, this is my first news article (If you consider it news,) so if I've done something wrong, just tell me and I'll correct it :)

fah-logo.png

I’m excited to announce today our new initiative for Folding@home on Android Mobile phones, with a beta version being released today.  In collaboration with Sony, we have brought Folding@home to Sony Mobile phones starting today with broader Android support in the coming months.  The rationale for moving FAH to mobile phones is simple: there are millions of phones and they are becoming extremely powerful.  Indeed, with our open source OpenMM code (http://openmm.org) optimized for mobile phones, we get performance comparable to what we were getting on desktops just a few years ago.  Moreover, we have completely rewritten our server backend in order to handle the needs of mobile devices.  In particular, our Streaming Backend (also known by its internal project name ‘ocore’) can seamlessly distribute work from one phone to another, so even a short amount of compute time on a phone can make an immediate contribution to our project.

Personally I think this is really cool and I'd love to see it become really big, but I'm not able to contribute, since I don't even have a phone  :(

Source: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/new-initiative-fah-on-android/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

If this is available on my nexus 4, it will probably bring it to it's knees. My nexus 4 is pretty messed up as it is already. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If this is available on my nexus 4, it will probably bring it to it's knees. My nexus 4 is pretty messed up as it is already. 

It's only available on Sony smartphones right now, with broader android support coming in later months

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

my HTC One M7 can F@H too bbut it requires to be constantly charged and it gets very VERY hot so i tend to stay away from it

I just fired it up on my Xperia Z.

And dang, it's super limited. You can only fold when on 100% battery, along with it having to be powered (these are acceptable).

But apart from that, you don't really have any kind of control of what you can do with the app. No teams, no nothing. And you are limited to 6 hours of folding.

Took some snaps to show you guys what it looks like. That is literally all the stuff you can do with it. There are two 'pages' of how-to. One main page. And settings.

http://imgur.com/seyImiV,u1xqh9V,nINNjGa,xeHQeT3

Tegra 3 HTC One X user, this is how you make it overheat and blow up. Not like it can already achieve that when chrome browsing. 

Nice work HTC. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I just fired it up on my Xperia Z.

And dang, it's super limited. You can only fold when on 100% battery, along with it having to be powered (these are acceptable).

But apart from that, you don't really have any kind of control of what you can do with the app. No teams, no nothing.

Well, the points would be skewed or negligible anyway,

you will probably just have to settle with knowing that you

are contributing.  (atleast that seems to make sense)

Well, the points would be skewed or negligible anyway,

you will probably just have to settle with knowing that you

are contributing.  (atleast that seems to make sense)

Part of me is curious what kind of points you would be able to get.

But another part of me knows that it's a really, really low amount.

PS. I updated my earlier post with some pictures.

FYI - they mentioned in the blog it is beta and missing features right now that they know they need to implement. I think they worked our a deal with Sony and using that to get a viable vanilla Android version working. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

It's only available on Sony smartphones right now, with broader android support coming in later months

HYPE...hope it's coming to Note 3.