GTX 690 Or Upgrade required

TechXero

Hey guys,

I own a GTX 690 the very first $1000 consumer GPU (I think). And I might be upgrading my current rig (an LGA2011 v1) to an X99 (LGA2011 v3), and I was thinking, will the 690 last me a few more years or should I upgrade ? I will be sticking to 1080p as 4k and up still aren't the so called "Standard", meaning not yet widely adopted by the masses, no movie content (BluRay) since streaming 4K content is total BS. But that's another discussion.

Will it be able to run latest games and upcoming ones at high FPS on Ultra settings ? The damn thing still costs $1000 so I thought it should.

Any thoughts on that ?

Please only honest and real world replies. NO HATERS !

~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

i am sure the 690 outperforms the 780 so u should be fine for another year or two

That's great to hear... That should save me quite a lot of $$$.

Thanks for quick reply ;)

~ My Current Build ~

| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

i am sure the 690 outperforms the 780 so u should be fine for a few more years

the 690 is two 680's.... I would hope it out performs a 780 -.-

Anyway @TechXero the 690 is still a very strong card. You might have to sacrifice a few settings here and there but for the most part itll be running everything max for quite some time.

Anyway @TechXero the 690 is still a very strong card. You might have to sacrifice a few settings here and there but for the most part itll be running everything max for quite some time.

yeah ik thats why i said it lol

Hey guys,

I own a GTX 690 the very first $1000 consumer GPU (I think). And I might be upgrading my current rig (an LGA2011 v1) to an X99 (LGA2011 v3), and I was thinking, will the 690 last me a few more years or should I upgrade ? I will be sticking to 1080p as 4k and up still aren't the so called "Standard", meaning not yet widely adopted by the masses, no movie content (BluRay) since streaming 4K content is total BS. But that's another discussion.

Will it be able to run latest games and upcoming ones at high FPS on Ultra settings ? The damn thing still costs $1000 so I thought it should.

Any thoughts on that ?

Please only honest and real world replies. NO HATERS !

The 690 is a great card. It doesn't need to be replaced, but here are my thoughts: They can be found used for around $400. Once you get your new rig, quad-sli may be something to look into.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

The 690 is a great card. It doesn't need to be replaced, but here are my thoughts: They can be found used for around $400. Once you get your new rig, quad-sli may be something to look into.

u cant quad sli the 690s 

u cant quad sli the 690s 

Yes you can. Quad SLI is the SLI-ing of two dual GPU cards. 4-way SLI (what you're thinking of) is the SLI-ing of 4 single GPU cards. 

I know that, which is somewhat of a shame coz it was advertised as 4gb GDDR5 when the reality is that it's 2x680s in SLI on a single PCB means 2x2048mb (SLI)=2048mb total not 4gb xD

I really hate nVidia's marketing BS sometimes.... 

Yes you can. Quad SLI is the SLI-ing of two dual GPU cards. 4-way SLI is the SLI-ing of 4 single GPU cards.

I don't like SLI... Multiple GPUs on Multiple PCBs.. I prefer Single card... Don't try to convince me. I just don't like it...

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

actually kind of crazy what good investment the gtx690 was on release date (mid 2012). 1000usd for good 5years+ of maxed out gameplay @1080p sounds very good to me.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I know that, which is somewhat of a shame coz it was advertised as 4gb GDDR5 when the reality is that it's 2x680s in SLI on a single PCB means 2x2048mb (SLI)=2048mb total not 4gb xD

I really hate nVidia's marketing BS sometimes.... 

AMD markets the 295X2 as an 8GB card, when they're two 4GB cards, so it's not just nVidia.

Yes you can. Quad SLI is the SLI-ing of two dual GPU cards. 4-way SLI (what you're thinking of) is the SLI-ing of 4 single GPU cards. 

ah ok i thought they where the same thing

I don't like SLI... Multiple GPUs on Multiple PCBs.. I prefer Single card... Don't try to convince me. I just don't like it...

You do realize that your card is already using SLI, right? That's how dual GPU cards like the 690 and Titan Z work :P

You do realize that your card is already using SLI, right? That's how dual GPU cards like the 690 and Titan Z work :P

I sure do but on a single PCB... I don't like the intricacies of multi-PCB setups.. Having to deal with 4x/8x/16x PCIe crap...  And as I mentioned in OP, I will not be going 4k any time soon... 

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

I sure do but on a single PCB... I don't like the intricacies of multi-PCB setups.. Having to deal with 4x/8x/16x PCIe crap...  And as I mentioned in OP, I will not be going 4k any time soon... 

If your able to get 2 of those 690 and SLI them (From what I've seen they use about 300W each like an R9 290X, but its probably higher). Though you will need a realtively beefy PSU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I already got a 1200W PSU. So am covered. Still hate multi PCB setups. As I said don't try to convince me otherwise please.

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

True. Well, the 690 should last you at least another year or two.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I got my answer.

Of to bed now. Peace

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Both team market that way.

295x 4+4s so is 8gb wooot woot fool those people that believe in high vram =future proof