AMP and DAC recommendations for Sennheiser HD 558+

I want an amp/dac that is too good for these because I will be upgrading my cans (not soon) and I don't want to have to replace the amp/DAC as well. Any price under $500 will do as long as it can plug in via USB (as I will be using a laptop [Acer C70 Chromebook, to be exact])

Taking Falling to whole new Heights

Le Monoprice Desktop Amplifier!

So is this a DAC and an AMP? Or do i buy just a different one, and if so can you recommend a good DAC to work well with this?

Taking Falling to whole new Heights

So is this a DAC and an AMP? Or do i buy just a different one, and if so can you recommend a good DAC to work well with this?

Amp dac for $90, if you're going to upgrade to a dynamic headphone, get this. If you're upgrading to a planar magnetic headphone then you want to consider a more poweful amp

Amp dac for $90, if you're going to upgrade to a dynamic headphone, get this. If you're upgrading to a planar magnetic headphone then you want to consider a more poweful amp

How much power do you think is required? It takes less than 1W to get LCD-2s the point where they will cause instant, permanent hearing damage.

How much power do you think is required? It takes less than 1W to get LCD-2s the point where they will cause instant, permanent hearing damage.

Ask @creatip123 or @NannerBeans, they're the ortho gurus  :D. But audeze recommends 1-4W of power @70 ohm, so idk.

Schiit lyr 2 is probably the only amp you'll need for most orthos (except HE-6)

But audeze recommends 1-4W of power @70 ohm, so idk.

Yeah, the do, don't they. And based on their published specs, that would drive the LCD2s to 137dB.

Yeah, the do, don't they. And based on their published specs, that would drive the LCD2s to 137dB.

Orthos as far as i know doesnt response to more power with louder sound, but a better reproduction on lower frequency. Ofc having no orthos, I have no experience about it.

Orthos as far as i know doesnt response to more power with louder sound, but a better reproduction on lower frequency. Ofc having no orthos, I have no experience about it.

Um, no. Then volume control would be impossible.

Um, no. Then volume control would be impossible.

Well, what's your own experience with orthos?

Orthos explained.  TL;DR: They are just another form of transducer.  The laws of physics and electrodynamics still apply.

http://headfonics.com/2011/05/dynamic-vs-orthodynamic-vs-electrostatic-which-is-which/

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Well, what's your own experience with orthos?

Orthos explained.  TL;DR: They are just another form of transducer.  The laws of physics and electrodynamics still apply.

http://headfonics.com/2011/05/dynamic-vs-orthodynamic-vs-electrostatic-which-is-which/

Yep. Also: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221772-calculating-audeze-lcd-2s-power-requirement-vs-o2/

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Ask @creatip123 or @NannerBeans, they're the ortho gurus  :D. But audeze recommends 1-4W of power @70 ohm, so idk.

My Aune T1's spec stated it got max power of 1000mW = 1W, assuming at highest gain setting, highest volume, probably @32ohms. I never set it to 16dB gain setting, as the 10dB gain is already enough for loudness on HE400.

To tell you the truth, even Rosson is a bit puzzled when I showed him the spec on their website that stated LCD series recommends 1-4W of power. The new generation of orthos like LCDs should be efficient enough to be driven by practically any portable devices. 

One thing I derived from experience is that orthos need a stable supply of current. A fluctuation in current is more detectable compared to dynamic drivers. I derived it from HE400 vs Q701. HE400 is 93dB/mW, Q701 is 105dB/V => roughly 93dB/mW, so they're practically the same in efficiency. iPad + Fiio E6 can drive Q701 at max volume with no audible problems, while for HE400, it still distorts and clips a bit at max volume.