PSU Sleeving

Trapslick
Go to solution Solved by SuperPug,

Buy some paracord and sleeve it yourself... you can do it really cheap and easy if you "halfass" it. Basically what you do is you only sleeve the second half of the cable (the visible part) and secure one end of the sleeve with zip ties about halfway down the cable. You can do this for about 20 USD and it wont take much more than an hour...

Edit: Of course that only works if your case supports cable-management in a way that you can hide the unsleeved part

ok, so i want the look of sleeved psu cables, but I'm not comfortable doing it myself and im also trying to figure out a way to cut back on cost

I've seen pre-sleeved cable extentions for $40 that would cover my whole setup, considering i get a case that i can just zip tie and tuck away the psu cables, is there any unforseen issues with just a power supply and these extentions to obtain the look?

does anyone have a better idea than diy or purchasing a fully modular + sleeved cables?

What type of PSU do you currently have?

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Buy some paracord and sleeve it yourself... you can do it really cheap and easy if you "halfass" it. Basically what you do is you only sleeve the second half of the cable (the visible part) and secure one end of the sleeve with zip ties about halfway down the cable. You can do this for about 20 USD and it wont take much more than an hour...

Edit: Of course that only works if your case supports cable-management in a way that you can hide the unsleeved part

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I can highly recommend the sleeved cable set by EVGA (54€). It only goes into EVGA Supernova G2 and T2 PSUs but it's totally worth it. It looks amazing!

Corsair also does sleeved cable sets but they're much more expensive; the 24 pin alone coses 24+€

Sleeving the PSU yourself is more expensive if you don't have the appropriate tools already. It only pays out if you plan to sleeve more than one PSU.

who cares...

I can highly recommend the sleeved cable set by EVGA (54€). It only goes into EVGA Supernova G2 and T2 PSUs but it's totally worth it. It looks amazing!

Corsair also does sleeved cable sets but they're much more expensive; the 24 pin alone coses 24+€

Sleeving the PSU yourself is more expensive if you don't have the appropriate tools already. It only pays out if you plan to sleeve more than one PSU.

It works on the B2, G2, P2, & T2 :D

Not really dude... literally all you need is a bunch of paracord (6$), lighter (2$), zip ties (3$) + a knife and some staples. Now making your own cables from scratch is a different story...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Not really dude... literally all you need is a bunch of paracord (6$), lighter (2$), zip ties (3$) + a knife and some staples. Now making your own cables from scratch is a different story...

Well sleeving 1/3 of the cable and not using heatshrink is pretty much the most ghetto way i have ever heard of. I would even prefer extensions over this.

As you implied already, sleeving it properly with complete sleeving, heatshrink, tools etc. you usually end up around the 60-80 dollar mark.

who cares...

Well sleeving 1/3 of the cable and not using heatshrink is pretty much the most ghetto way i have ever heard of. I would even prefer extensions over this.

As you implied already, sleeving it properly with complete sleeving, heatshrink, tools etc. you usually end up around the 60-80 dollar mark.

Don't be so elitist. Have you ever heard of heatshrinkless sleeving with paracord? Heatshrink sucks and looks cheap! The zip-ties are used for securing the not visible end of the sleeve to the cable. And what exactly is the difference between sleeving only the visible part of your psu cables and using extensions? Its essentially the same principle - only sleeving where you can see it.

You can still sleeve a psu ''properly'' for cheap... Its making your own cables thats expensive (meaning crimping terminals, buying connectors and so on)

Don't be so elitist. Have you ever heard of heatshrinkless sleeving with paracord? Heatshrink sucks and looks cheap! The zip-ties are used for securing the not visible end of the sleeve to the cable. And what exactly is the difference between sleeving only the visible part of your psu cables and using extensions? Its essentially the same principle - only sleeving where you can see it.

You can still sleeve a psu ''properly'' for cheap... Its making your own cables thats expensive (meaning crimping terminals, buying connectors and so on)

Hm, yeah you can do it without heatshrink. If that zip tie method is legit it could probably work out.

Advantage of your method is that it works on non modualr PSUs. Not a bad idea if you're on a budget actually. :D

idk how different it would be tbh. i would have to try it out. :D

who cares...

Now I want to try this out. I have neon orange paracord and a 340W PSU. Should I?

For heatshrinkless sleeving with paracord you do not need heatshrink - but I would recommend a paracord threader (will be sold at www.mainframecustom.com when we have our reopening sale)

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

i'll have to check out some videos on it later, looks like a awesome idea. Just worried cause im not too handy, and the one forum i looked at said it took him an hour to do one cable with heatshrinkless 550 cord

extensions look bad? considering covered up cables

i'll have to check out some videos on it later, looks like a awesome idea. Just worried cause im not too handy, and the one forum i looked at said it took him an hour to do one cable with heatshrinkless 550 cord

extensions look bad? considering covered up cables

Where did i say that?

Extensions are usually just much too long and cable management gets a lot harder. And the PSU area isn't sleeved, and trust me, it does make a diffference.

who cares...

For heatshrinkless sleeving with paracord you do not need heatshrink - but I would recommend a paracord threader (will be sold at www.mainframecustom.com when we have our reopening sale)

Ahh the man himself! Hello there :)

Hm, yeah you can do it without heatshrink. If that zip tie method is legit it could probably work out.

Advantage of your method is that it works on non modualr PSUs. Not a bad idea if you're on a budget actually. :D

idk how different it would be tbh. i would have to try it out. :D

Did it on my 6 year old ''crappy'' psu just for shits & giggles and it actually looks great and cost me as much as a sandwich lol

Did it on my 6 year old ''crappy'' psu just for shits & giggles and it actually looks great and cost me as much as a sandwich lol

Do you mind taking a pic of it of it's not too much hassle for you? I'm interested in it now. :D

who cares...

Do you mind taking a pic of it of it's not too much hassle for you? I'm interested in it now. :D

You can see the zip ties holding it on the left. I think it looks pretty neat and it was really fast to do. :)

6bfvvlP.jpg

I did the partial sleeve on my old psu a few days ago for the 24 pin cable and it didnt take long at all. Maybe 3 mins per cable the most time consuming part is to get the terminals out of the connector but if you use staples in pairs of two, bendt into an L-shape its real easy. ;)

Heres a tut with pictures for the staple pin removal method:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1006680/how-to-remove-the-pins-from-an-atx-power-supply-with-staples

You can see the zip ties holding it on the left. I think it looks pretty neat and it was really fast to do. :)

snip

do they sit very tight or could you drag them around when you pull a bit stronger? this looks pretty nice. ;)

who cares...

What he said

do they sit very tight or could you drag them around when you pull a bit stronger? this looks pretty nice. ;)

Thanks! :)

It's pretty secure... You can bend and twist the cable around without problems. If you yank on a single sleeve you can move it tho but you can just as easily pull it back into position.