Audio Technica ATH-AD900X Open or Closed for Me?

Brama

So reaching the final stages of my build, getting ready to order. Finally decided on a headset I wanna do.

I want to get the ATH-A900X Headphone and add a Antlion Mic Mod. But im going back and fourth on whether I should get Open or Closed, Obviously Open are more ideal, give way better sound and a lot more clarity. But My house can be noisey at times, I have kids in the house, which = random screaming and yelling, sometimes crying. and I can hear it through my door. Also How much will it effect people around me? Will it be like as if I have speakers on? will it bother them? or not too bad? Guess a good way to compare is would they perhaps be able to take a nap in the same room as me while I was using A900X Open ear?

note that the yelling, screaming isnt all day long, Oh and there random loud dark barkings through the day cause of my Pitbull but again something that isnt non stop and consistent, its random and not that much, other then that is pretty quiet in my house.

So despite these minor disturbances is it still better to get open eared over closed?

Also is case u are wondering my Build is $3000 buget, the PC will be used for mostly streaming games like League of Legends, Arma III and other fun future releases, like The Division. and also doing some minor video editing making game highlist, and montages. etc.

Here is a link to the build it self - http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brama/saved/VrFH99

Note: the build is currently 2,800 leaving just enough room for the 900X and Antlion mic mod

one hell of a build there. I just don't get why you would get two 144 hz TN monitors when you could have one 144 hz monitor for fast paced games, and a secondary IPS monitor for watching video that would have better color depth and viewing angles

144 hz monitors are really made for gaming, but you can never game with two monitors, always an odd number.

I would get the open headphones. I have the AD700 and have had them for a few years. they are still my go-to headphone for gaming when I can't use my surround speakers. I still prefer to use speakers, but If I am talking to people at the same time, I can't do that.

even in my office where there is no door, I don't find other people in the house distracting to me, and if you had the modmic they shouldn't be distracting to the people you are talking to.

Open, the closed versions IMO are just a product of convenience, an excuse to make closed wooden headphones like the ol' W10VTG, W5000, and the new W1000Z

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

one hell of a build there. I just don't get why you would get two 144 hz TN monitors when you could have one 144 hz monitor for fast paced games, and a secondary IPS monitor for watching video that would have better color depth and viewing angles

144 hz monitors are really made for gaming, but you can never game with two monitors, always an odd number.

I would get the open headphones. I have the AD700 and have had them for a few years. they are still my go-to headphone for gaming when I can't use my surround speakers. I still prefer to use speakers, but If I am talking to people at the same time, I can't do that.

even in my office where there is no door, I don't find other people in the house distracting to me, and if you had the modmic they shouldn't be distracting to the people you are talking to.

I can see your point there about the monitors. Guess main thing would be that the monitos match. Silly thing I know but I believe I have mild OCD. Seeing the monitors not matching will make me cringe everytime I walk into the room. Lol No I could probably handle if they look atleast similar. But I dont think I've noticed any good IPS Monitors that are same price or cheaper then that Monitor. and with these Headphones added. I cap out my Budget.

So could you or anyone possibly recommend a good 24inch IPS Monitor @ $260.00 or less? that looks similar to the ASUS as much as possible

Maybe this one - http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS248H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-LED-lit/dp/B0058UUR6E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420846288&sr=1-4&keywords=asus+ips+monitor+24

Out of of curiously where do I even put the modmic on the open back AD900x? do I try to fit it over the small name plate? or more towards that bottom front half closer to front of my face? Will covering the holes affect the open back feature at all, and perhaps give me a sort of lopsided hearing on oneside?

Will covering the holes affect the open back feature at all, and perhaps give me a sort of lopsided hearing on oneside?

No.

No.

thank you, last little pondering me. Hopefully I wont have too much trouble getting the modmic to stick. I heard that could be a little troublesome on that headphone