Overclocking my GT840M

RamSatesh

Sup guy,i am thinking off turbo boosting my notebooks gpu and turn it into a GT850M(Technically is overclocking).For that i would need a good notebook cooling pad for it and also do leave ur suggestion and opinions on if this is safe.All information below.

Specification:-

•DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 1366 x 768

•PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4510U

•MEMORY: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L

•STORAGE: 1TB 5400RPM

•GRAPHICS: GT840M 2GB

Information about the notebook.

Link: www8.hp.com/my/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=7104058#!tab=specs

You could give it a 100MHz rise without a pad.

Try it out I suppose.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Looks like it's locked clockspeed from those posts anyways

so u're saying i can't turbo boost it?

This. It is highly risky to overclock anything that has to do with a laptop. There is no room for ventilation in the first place. A laptop cooler isn't gonna help that much with heat dissipation.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Not really a good idea to overclock a laptop unless you want to turn your latop in to a toaser or a oven then sure go ahead. I'm not saying that i can't be done but your laptop doesn't have alot of vetilation firstly even with a cooling pad i still wouldn't risk it. Plus you can't get a 840m to match a 850m even if you oc the living hell of out it that simply is not going to happend.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Already laptop runs hotter while gaming!

So better not overclock the GPU, it may fry your laptop and your lap too!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Okay,thx guys,guess i have to stick with the GT840M,can i upgrade it though?

Okay,thx guys,guess i have to stick with the GT840M,can i upgrade it though?

It depends on the laptop. But i don't think so.

Very few laptops have MXM 3.0b port. I don't think a laptop that has GT840M doesn't.

But check out this video as well, rather than changing your GPU, you can use an external one.

It depends on the laptop. But i don't think so.

Very few laptops have MXM 3.0b port. I don't think a laptop that has GT840M doesn't.

But check out this video as well, rather than changing your GPU, you can use an external one.

yup,i seens this,but it looks like too much of trouble and u also need a power supply the extrenal gpu.

yup,i seens this,but it looks like too much of trouble and u also need a power supply the extrenal gpu.

That PSU will only power that graphics card, so picking up and old one can be okay. Also if you are going to use a bit low end card like an R5, you dont need it. 12V will be fine. Also going too high on it (like an R9) will make a bottleneck.

That PSU will only power that graphics card, so picking up and old one can be okay. Also if you are going to use a bit low end card like an R5, you dont need it. 12V will be fine. Also going too high on it (like an R9) will make a bottleneck.

ok thx,i guys i'll just stick ny laptop then