Asus Announces The Zenfone 2 and the Zenfone Zoom - Powered by Intel

Zenfone 2

vrg_0320.jpg

Asus has just announced the Zenfone 2. Will update with more info as it comes out.

Specs:

• 5.5" IPS screen. 1080p. 400 PPI
  • Intel Atom processor. Z3580 to be precise. 2.3GHz and 64bit. It's a quad core Silvermont CPU.
  • 13MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture.
  • 5MP front facing camera
  • 2 or 4GB of RAM depending on model. Yes, 4GB of RAM in a phone.
  • 3000mAh battery and it changes from 0 to 60% in just 39 minutes.
  • LTE cat 4 (which isn't that impressive but should be good enough)
  • Dual SIM cards
  • Android 5.0

Some more interesting things:

Brushed metal body for those of you who like that.

The back reminds me of LG phones. The volume controls are on the back and it also has that curve to it.

The camera features "pixel merging" for low light photos. Asus claims this gives the camera 400% better light sensitivity. My guess is that this works by combinding pixels to decrease the overall MP count of the photo, but increase low light quality. It also has "zero shutter lag". "Zero" is apparently 60ms response time. That's very low.

Brand new Android skin from Asus. Might be cool but the things they showed are not that impressive.

Zenfone 2 will be available in march for 199 USD.

Not sure if that's unlocked or on a 2 year contract. Probably the latter.

Zenfone Zoom

vrg_0357.jpg

Pretty much the same as the Zenfone 2 but with a much bigger camera bump and some better camera features.

• Still 13MP rear and 5MP front camera.
  • 3x optical zoom
  • OSI
  • Laser auto focus.
  • Macro shots and it can focus at something just 5cm away.
  • Manual camera controls like ISO, shutter speed, focal point, exposure value and many more.

Zenfone Zoom will be available in Q2 for 399 USD.

Not sure if that's unlocked or on a 2 year contract. Probably the latter.

Sources: Anadtech and TheVerge.

If this phone allows me to change the CPU, I'm all for it. Sadly, no phone with a socketed CPU has that capability.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

why the hell is every flagship phone 5.5 or 6 inches STAHP

Because everyone needs video now.

I love this line from The Verge's live blogging

Oh no — the Zen UI browser has integrated Trend Micro security to guard against threats. If we've reached the point where we need anti-virus software on our smartphones, we have utterly failed as a society.

Looks like G3

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

full specs list

vrg_0353.jpg

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Zenfone 2 available in March at $199

DAMN !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Aw still Silvermont? It's still using a cutdown westmere core...

When do the Airmont chips based on the same architecture as Broadwell launch?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

for 200 the zenfone 2 looks like a bigger killer deal that the moto g was

edit:nvm since they didn't say if it were unlocked prices or not

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Aw still Silvermont? It's still using a cutdown westmere core...

When do the Airmont chips based on the same architecture as Broadwell launch?

Intel just announced that they have begun shipping Cherry Trail chips to manufacturers now. That's Airmont chips (14nm transistors, based on Broadwell, 16Eu gen8 GPU).

I am pretty sure that's mostly aimed at tablets though.

Soon, phones will have more ram than my PC.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Intel just announced that they have begun shipping Cherry Trail chips to manufacturers now. That's Airmont chips (14nm transistors, based on Broadwell, 16Eu gen8 GPU).

I am pretty sure that's mostly aimed at tablets though.

Yeah it's just once again I foresee a firestorm of people ragging on Intel's phone offerings, which sucks because Silvermont is a 3-year-old line of chips based on architecture almost 9 years old which was rushed to market when the smart phone craze really hit.

Damnit Intel... Get it together...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

64 bit QuadCore Intel CPU with 4GB RAM!!!

Top notch!

Here I come! :D

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

64 bit QuadCore Intel CPU with 4GB RAM!!!

Top notch!

Here I come! :D

Don't hold your breath. Silvermont is based on 9-year-old Westmere architecture cut down, some legacy stuff removed to further decrease power, and shrunk to the 22nm process. Airmont, based on Broadwell architecture, on the 14nm process, will be far more interesting. Silvermont still tends to lose to the Snapdragon 805 (I think 805 was the last generation Qualcomm flagship).

64 bit QuadCore Intel CPU with 4GB RAM sounds like my PC 2 years ago... not even close performance wise but w/e :P. Still doubt I'll be considering it over the Snapdragon 810 but maybe Airmont might change it later on.

Don't hold your breath. Silvermont is based on 9-year-old Westmere architecture cut down, some legacy stuff removed to further decrease power, and shrunk to the 22nm process. Airmont, based on Broadwell architecture, on the 14nm process, will be far more interesting. Silvermont still tends to lose to the Snapdragon 805 (I think 805 was the last generation flagship).

As I told you before on the other thread. You are being very informative! :)

You are an Intel ARK. :D

As I told you before on the other thread. You are being very informative! :)

You are an Intel ARK. :D

Nah. I still don't have a clue about most of the E5 and E7 Xeons. Some come with exotic FPGAs used to accelerate load-specific algorithms, and since FPGAs are reprogrammable at the hardware level, they're extremely flexible. It's a flexible ASIC more or less.

Nah. I still don't have a clue about most of the E5 and E7 Xeons. Some come with exotic FPGAs used to accelerate load-specific algorithms, and since FPGAs are reprogrammable at the hardware level, they're extremely flexible. It's a flexible ASIC more or less.

It's still great that you know every other things except only some doubts on E5 and E7

It's still great that you know every other things except only some doubts on E5 and E7

I wouldn't say I'm so intimately familiar with Intel's products to be able to claim that. I just keep up with what's current.

I wouldn't say I'm so intimately familiar with Intel's products to be able to claim that. I just keep up with what's current.

That's good!

Scrap the post I made about the morse code video earlier, this looks pretty cool.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

try hard derp.