Is my GPU faulty?

right. so if one thread is the bottleneck. I guess the only way would be to see if any of the individual cores is maxed out. and if any of the cores are at 100%, then its possible. 

My point is...it depends on the load required. The game may be coded to spread the load across as many cores as possible. If it's able to utilize eight cores, then it should be able to utilize all eight of them completely. I'm not saying that is the case, but it should be able to.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My point is...it depends on the load required. The game may be coded to spread the load across as many cores as possible. If it's able to utilize eight cores, then it should be able to utilize all eight of them completely. I'm not saying that is the case, but it should be able to.

hum. so if the cpu is only at 40-50% in the OPs case, itd be safe to say the cpu is most likely not a bottlneck. 

not sure if it was mentioned, but OP, is this running off a hard drive? sdd? is your ram in dual channel?

fc4_n_1920.png

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@ZakGray

Did you figure out if it is your CPU throttling or not?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys had a very busy period and didnt find time to check through everyones responses. I have a really old kit of 3x2gb dell ram and its also running off a very old seagate hard drive.