Is my GPU faulty?

Hi everyone,

Ive been playing far cry 4 on my new system and have been noticing some very odd performance. Framerate is OK but around outposts it dips into the 40's. This is fine and I dont expect my system to get amazing performance. However, I checked task manager and msi afterburner and its telling me that cpu usage is at 50% while GPU usage is absolutely all over the place. There is a screen grab of what they show when im in-game attached.

Specs:

AMD FX 8350 stock clock

Asus M5A78L-M USB 3

MSI GTX 970

6gb DDR3 old ram (not too sure about clock speeds will check later)

post-59861-0-46621900-1420456212_thumb.j

Your CPU is probably bottlenecking your GPU in that game. 

Yesterday I saw someone with similar GPU usage spikes with the same configuration (8350 + 970) in FC4. 

No your GPU probably isn't faulty. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Try another game and tell us about the results you get.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Farcry4 is not the most optimized, It probably doesnt use all the cores efficiently.

It is a CPU bottleneck since AI's are CPU dependant.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Ok thank you guys im going to try another game and see how things go

Your CPU is probably bottlenecking your GPU in that game. 

Yesterday I saw someone with similar GPU usage spikes with the same configuration (8350 + 970) in FC4. 

No your GPU probably isn't faulty. 

How is the CPU bottlenecking if it's using only 40%?

How is the CPU bottlenecking if it's using only 40%?

Because your CPU usage isn't really an indication of bottlenecks. 

My Phenom II 960T at stock, 3.8GHz, unlocked to six cores and overclocked all get similar CPU usage to my 3570k in a CPU intensive game like BF4, yet the 960T bottlenecks my R9 270 and the 3570k does not. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

So I tried dragon age inquisition and everything seems to be fine! GPU usage never goes above 98% (with an overclock) and is a little all over the place, should I be worried?

So I tried dragon age inquisition and everything seems to be fine! GPU usage never goes above 98% (with an overclock) and is a little all over the place, should I be worried?

you mean the GPU usage is all over the place?

yea it a sign of CPU bottleneck

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

where did you get that version of afterburner

Gaming rig) i5-4690k@3,5ghz,4,1ghz turbo , gigabyte z97x-gaming 3, hyperx fury red 2x4gb(1600mhz), msi GTX 970 gaming 4, corsair cs650m PSU, corsair carbide spec-03 case, be quiet pure rock Cpu cooler, kingston v300 120gb ssd, samsung evo 830 120gb ssd, segate baracuda 1,5tb hdd, Laptop 1) HP pavilion power, i7 7700hq, 16gb ddr4, 256gb nvme ssd, 1tb hdd, nvdia gtx 1050 Laptop 2(linux mint)Dell Xps 15(2011), i3-2130m, nvidia gt525m, 4gb 1333mhz ram, 500gb hdd Laptop3(mint and windows)Dell inspiron 15z(2013), i5-3337u, hd 4000 graphics, 6gb 1600mhz ddr3, 500gb hdd, 32gb ssd(RST) First PC(still using for some windows XP programs)Amd athlon xp 1500+@1,96ghz, 2gb 300mhz ram, PNY geforce 6200, 80gb maxtor hdd, asus(tek) a7n8x-deluxe , 450W psu, spire case

Snert if you go into "settings" then "user interface" then "user interface skinning properties" there should be a dropdown box where you can select "MSI cyborg afterburner skin"

CPU bottleneck my man. Not a problem with the card.

I am really shocked that your CPU is running on an mATX motherboard.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

CPU bottleneck my man. Not a problem with the card.

I am really shocked that your CPU is running on an mATX motherboard.

either his board VRMs are made of unobtainium or he is just lucky

maybe the BIOS update did help a bit with throttling

Snert if you go into "settings" then "user interface" then "user interface skinning properties" there should be a dropdown box where you can select "MSI cyborg afterburner skin"

like what faceman says

your CPU is the main culprit

you will need a new CPU and mobo upgrade if you want to max your GTX970

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Better off using GPU-Z to monitor all aspects of what the card is doing.This can tell you if your clock speed is tanking for some reason rather than just GPU load.

MSI Afterburner has the ability to monitor various things, including GPU clock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

where did you get that version of afterburner

It's the latest beta version. It includes a skin that gives the look you're referring to.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

To test if it's your CPU, overclock it if you have a proper cooler.

MSI Afterburner has the ability to monitor various things, including GPU clock.

Might be good to explain or link how to show everything.

I find this much easier, but if afterburner can do it, it might be helpful to the OP to know how

39Hnhsv.jpg

My computer has similar performance in FarCry 4. Try a different game.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Might be good to explain or link how to show everything.

I find this much easier, but if afterburner can do it, it might be helpful to the OP to know how

I'm not sure if they saw it before changing the skin, but off to the side, it provides statistics on lots of different things. It really is as easy as scrolling. Same goes for the new skin.

@ZakGray, right where the GPU usage is, scroll. You'll eventually get to your GPU and memory clocks.

well it might be only cores are being maxed out. lets say he has 10 cores,(keep math simple) game only uses 4. and his cpu usage was 40%. those 4 cores are absouetly maxed out, and thats all the game can do. but task manager will only say 40% usage because the other 6 cores are doing squat. 

go to the screen that shows core by core, and see if your cores are at 100%. that will help answer your cpu bottleneck question. I mean, my brother is hitting ultra everything on far cry 4, 60 Fps on a fx-6300+7950. 

well it might be only cores are being maxed out. lets say he has 10 cores,(keep math simple) game only uses 4. and his cpu usage was 40%. those 4 cores are absouetly maxed out, and thats all the game can do. but task manager will only say 40% usage because the other 6 cores are doing squat. 

go to the screen that shows core by core, and see if your cores are at 100%. that will help answer your cpu bottleneck question. I mean, my brother is hitting ultra everything on far cry 4, 60 Fps on a fx-6300+7950. 

As far as I know, the game engine used in Far Cry 4 supports eight core CPUs.

As far as I know, the game engine used in Far Cry 4 supports eight core CPUs.

sorry, the 4 was just a example. someone said 40%, so I just wanted to come up with a situation where it would be 40%. but in that case, his pc is a 8 core correct? so if it has 8 threads, his cpu should be pinned at 100%

sorry, the 4 was just a example. someone said 40%, so I just wanted to come up with a situation where it would be 40%. but in that case, his pc is a 8 core correct? so if it has 8 threads, his cpu should be pinned at 100%

Yes, it is an eight core CPU. I don't think it should be pinned at 100%. Just because it utilizes all eight cores doesn't mean each core is utilized completely at all times.

Yes, it is an eight core CPU. I don't think it should be pinned at 100%. Just because it utilizes all eight cores doesn't mean each core is utilized completely at all times.

right. so if one thread is the bottleneck. I guess the only way would be to see if any of the individual cores is maxed out. and if any of the cores are at 100%, then its possible.