Best USB DAC For My Needs

Ornstein

So, I have some new headphones on the way and I am wanting the cleanest audio output for them and my speakers.

Current Equipment:  Sennheiser 558 headphones + CA-3602 speakers.

Current Sound Driver:  Onboard sound card on a GA-H97-D3H mobo.

The Problem: Both current headphones and speakers output periodic crackles and other interference when plugged directly into sound card.

Budget:  Prefer $50-$75 range, but definitely under $100

My Needs:  An external, USB DAC that will clear up interference and has inputs for both speakers and headphones (3.5mm for speakers & 6.3mm for headphones).  I don't need extra frills, but if it happens to come with them in my price range that's fine.

Any DACs out there that meet the above criteria?

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."

Syba Dac, has a switch so you can swap between speaker and headphone outputs. 

Fiio E10K. Just make sure you get the e10k and not the e10. The e10k is a better revised version of the e10.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Another nod for the Syba DAC, it's going to be a better choice than the Fiio in this case.

Syba Dac, has a switch so you can swap between speaker and headphone outputs. 

I really like the price point of this one.  Definite possibility.

Fiio E10K, has both a line out in the back and on the front. Has 6.3mm ports but you just can get an adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2

Fiio E10K. Just make sure you get the e10k and not the e10. The e10k is a better revised version of the e10.

I've actually been eyeballing this one for a while.  The Sennheisers are 6.3mm by default with a 3.5 adapter, but like Forsaken said, that would mean another 6.3mm adapter for speakers which only adds extra cost. 

So basically looks like I'm down to $80 Fiio + adapter vs the $40-ish of the Syba.

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."

I really like the price point of this one.  Definite possibility.

I've actually been eyeballing this one for a while.  The Sennheisers are 6.3mm by default with a 3.5 adapter, but like Forsaken said, that would mean another 6.3mm adapter for speakers which only adds extra cost. 

So basically looks like I'm down to $80 Fiio + adapter vs the $40-ish of the Syba.

The Fiio has 3.5mm headphone jack, not 6.3mm. Same for the line out.

The Fiio has 3.5mm headphone jack, not 6.3mm. Same for the line out.

Hmm, just looked again at the description.  Yeah it does.

I'll put this decision on the back burner for now until I can do a blind test of the 558s and go from there.

FULLA - USB DONGLE DAC/AMP From Schiit Audio only $79. they Fulla Schiit!?

Fulla, it’s not only a combined DAC and headphone amp, it’s also the least expensive quality dongle-DAC/amp on the market, with a knob for volume control connected to a real live analog volume pot, not a volume control chip.

FULLA - USB DONGLE DAC/AMP From Schiit Audio only $79. they Fulla Schiit!?

Fulla, it’s not only a combined DAC and headphone amp, it’s also the least expensive quality dongle-DAC/amp on the market, with a knob for volume control connected to a real live analog volume pot, not a volume control chip.

There's a review here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/280838-schiit-fulla-review/

+1 for Syba DAC - I use mine with HD 650's

E10 actually is better as it can drive headphones louder.

That Syba does have quite a steep output impedance. 13ohm open-loop. Seeing as OP wants to hook up a 50ohms headphones, that doesn't comply with the 1/8th rule.

So, i'd advise against the syba..

That Syba does have quite a steep output impedance. 13ohm open-loop. Seeing as OP wants to hook up a 50ohms headphones, that doesn't comply with the 1/8th rule.

So, i'd advise against the syba..

But it's so convenient, which is what he really wants anyways.