Two questions about this GPU. Please help?

Noble372

The card i am thinking about getting Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 8192MB GDDR5

Link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-353-SP

My first question. Is this card the Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 4096MB  Better than the stranded R9 290x the reference card as i had that before in terms of playing games will i get a better fps.

And my second question should i get this card as the 4gb gddr5 version or the 8gb gddr5 version will i notice a diffrence with 4 more gigs of ram in games or is that only for people who do video editing.

My Monitor is 1920x1080 and is 144hz i will not be playing any game about 1920x1080

8gb is good if you want to play 4k

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

For comparing different models, check the benchmarks p, especially the gaming ones as they're easier to visualize. And if you can afford it take the extra 4GB as it will last so much longer and I imaging there will be a definite increase in performance and also if you do any productivity work. You might want to google this first though.

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

8gb is good if you want to play 4k

No mine is 1920x1080

For comparing different models, check the benchmarks p, especially the gaming ones as they're easier to visualize. And if you can afford it take the extra 4GB as it will last so much longer and I imaging there will be a definite increase in performance and also if you do any productivity work. You might want to google this first though.

Sadly i looked and could not find anym

8gb is only good if you are playing with high res (i.e. 4K)  and high textures. the 512-bit bus alone does a decent job at 4K, better than the 970. But if you are only gaming at 1080p get a 970

That card has a pretty high stock oc, thats about it... You could probably oc another card to the same specs if you really wanted to

And take the extra 4gb for "futureproofing" purposes

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

The gaming performance of a card will be mostly determined by the GPU it has, in this case it's a R9-290X. Pretty much all R9-290Xs will perform roughly the same because they all use the same chip.. The aftermarket cards may allow you to overclock it a bit farther which will improve performance, but it's always still going to perform like an R9-290X.

Having more VRAM will only affect performance if 4 GB of VRAM is too little. At the moment, the only thing in which having that much VRAM will actually affect performance is if you're gaming at very very high resolutions. If you're not using a 4K monitor, chances are that an 8 GB card will perform exactly the same as a 4 GB card.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You will save money on a power supply and drop some of the heat with a 970. don't get a 290x

You will save money on a power supply and drop some of the heat with a 970. don't get a 290x

970 does not yet have a 8 gb card

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

970 does not yet have a 8 gb card

He doesn't need 8gb if he is running at 1080p. Core speeds are going to matter more at that resolution. 970 most likely won't have 8gb versions because the bus is too small. 256-bit is IMO too small as it is to be considered high end. 

Playing at 1920x1080 won't do that card justice. I'd probably just opt-out for a 970.

Playing at 1920x1080 won't do that card justice. I'd probably just opt-out for a 970.

Will a 970 play most games maxed out at 60fps or more though? Will i get a better fps in games than the r9 290x?

He doesn't need 8gb if he is running at 1080p. Core speeds are going to matter more at that resolution. 970 most likely won't have 8gb versions because the bus is too small. 256-bit is IMO too small as it is to be considered high end. 

Will a 970 play most games maxed out at 60fps or more though? Will i get a better fps in games than the r9 290x?

The 8GB is so much more money. It seems like textbook throwing money down the drain for future proofing. I'd go with a 4GB R9 290x. It's a monster of a card that will absolutely crush 1080p. Hopefully 4GB will become a lasting highend standard for a few years.

They're neck and neck. You can't go wrong either way.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1056

One thing to note is this is comparing the best factory overclocked GTX 970 to the absolute worst R9 290x (the reference model).