You guys were wrong...

David1521

I don't mind when you do it.

This makes me feel good in undescribable ways.

This makes me feel good in undescribable ways.

I probably wouldn't mind you doing a lot of things.

I probably wouldn't mind you doing a lot of things.

O my lanta.

While placebo is a real thing I think most people error in balancing the volume output of the two tests (which in itself says the amp is doing SOMETHING beneficial!)  A very little extra loudness can make perceptions change in favor of that sample... and how exactly does one accurately calibrate a headphone in such an experiment?  And there is always the possibility that the amplifier actually does contribute something to the sound that the user finds an improvement, whether this is simply from having more of the good stuff in the right places or a lack of accurately published frequency responses (i.e., it doesn't have to have a switch that says "bass boost" on it to make such an effect happen)...  or even some of that distortion so charmingly referred to as "warmth"?   ;)

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

While placebo is a real thing I think most people error in balancing the volume output of the two tests (which in itself says the amp is doing SOMETHING beneficial!)  A very little extra loudness can make perceptions change in favor of that sample... and how exactly does one accurately calibrate a headphone in such an experiment?

By using a decibel meter? Like I said before, published frequency response is useless if no other conditions are specified (and they rarely are); you need to know the amplitude transfer function to get the full picture (i.e. a frequency response graph).

Yes, but he didn't say he bought a decibel meter to go along with his amplifier and new phones ;)

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Are you sure it's not just being louder? 80% people will say louder music sounds better. Also did you plug it to the back of the motherboard? Some casing got bad front audio ports. 

Not saying that you're definitely wrong, but like SSL said, based on probability, most people can't really hear the minuscule differences. The differences are real, but minuscule. 

While placebo is a real thing I think most people error in balancing the volume output of the two tests (which in itself says the amp is doing SOMETHING beneficial!)  A very little extra loudness can make perceptions change in favor of that sample... and how exactly does one accurately calibrate a headphone in such an experiment?  And there is always the possibility that the amplifier actually does contribute something to the sound that the user finds an improvement, whether this is simply from having more of the good stuff in the right places or a lack of accurately published frequency responses (i.e., it doesn't have to have a switch that says "bass boost" on it to make such an effect happen)...  or even some of that distortion so charmingly referred to as "warmth"?   ;)

One way that I know of, is to 'calibrate' the voltage, because voltage corresponds directly with volume/loudness. Play a sine tone, measure the voltage (ideally with an oscilloscope), and set it as a reference. For example, plug it to device A, play a 1kHz sine tone, measure the voltage. Say it reads 1V. Change the tone to music/songs, and listen to it. After that, change the device to B, play the same tone again, adjust the volume control until the voltage reads the same 1V, continue.

And yeah, EQ could throw the balance off.

Another probability, the OP might have a naturally good/sharp ears to hear small details. 

On another note, onboards are sometimes strange. My VIA chip onboard sounds really good, no audible EMI/noise floor, even from front audio port, and can output to true 24bit/192kHz (through WASAPI, not through the shitty directsound up/downsampling), but it can't reach 50% of my normal volume on my HE400.