Noctua NH-D14 or NH-U14S

wolf1o

Hi All,

I'm about to purchase one of these cpu cooler by Noctua. They're both quite large but only the U14S come with a pwm fan/4 pin fan connector. What's the best option? Should It be of any concern that the D14 doesn't include 4 pin/pwm fan?in term of performance, db levels etc.?

Thanks!

As far as i know the D-14 has a larger cooling surface area ans so therefore that cooler should get better performance. in terms of noise levels, the fans included on both are made by noctua and so they are probably going to be reasonalbly quiet. If you really want silence i would replace the fans but a 3 pin doesn't make any more noise than a 4 pin just because of the connector. Do some research and find some temps online to find out which is better then buy that. :)

sorry if this makes no sense, im quite tired

I know that the "Pin" itself - doesn't make the change...I meant if there's real advantage interm of perofrmance and noise level because the the 4pin - meaning pwm fan will be controlled by the cpu/board, VS the 3pin is driven just by voltage without any control. (I'm aware that the D14 is one of the - if not "The" best cpul coolers out there for quite some time..this is why I want it:-) )

If you can fit the Nh-D14 in your case then I would go with that one.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

your motherboard should be able to control the fans speed to some degree through the bios setting. As far as I can tell from my own NH-D14,you don't really need that pwm function.Just use the ULNA if you want to make it even more silent with little to no noticeable loss in cooling performance. 

If you can fit the Nh-D14 in your case then I would go with that one.

just ordered the HAF-X case:-)

your motherboard should be able to control the fans speed to some degree through the bios setting. As far as I can tell from my own NH-D14,you don't really need that pwm function.Just use the ULNA if you want to make it even more silent with little to no noticeable loss in cooling performance. 

what's the "ULNA"?

what's the "ULNA"?

Ultra Low Noise Adapter

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Ultra Low Noise Adapter

Does it come with the NH-D14 cooler?

NHD14 is Noctua's  best cooler and one of the most well regarded air coolers in general. If you have the money and space for it in your case, then definitely buy it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

NHD14 but you may want to change the fans as they are kinda ugly 

Aselwyn1

I had the Noctua NH-C14 and was getting about the same results as my newly upgraded Dark Rock pro 2, so despite the smaller surface area over the D14 you can't go wrong too much with a thinner profile cooler if necessary. However that was a dual-fan down-draft CPU cooler (C14) so it might make a little difference. Not too much though,

Does it come with the NH-D14 cooler?

yes it does.you'll get two of it,one for the 120mm and another one for the 140mm fan.

• 2 months later...

Saw this on YouTube.

R7 1700@3.8GHz@1.275V | Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 | 16GB DDR4 @ 2933MHz | RX 580 8GB Nitro+ | Corsair AX860

The NH-D14 holds the unofficial title as the King of Air Coolers.

Take that as you may.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

D14 might be better option for you if noise level vs cooling performance is the thing in here. Its huge compared to U14S which is actually quite slim and tall. U14S pros are size and ram clearance. In my bit tight mid atx case I can use it either horizontally or vertically (bottom-top vs front-back) with fan in either side without any problems. Also there's almost half cm air between RipjawX and heatpipes.

PWM fans are bit better when it comes to cooling optimization, but with something like D14 it really isn't issue anymore.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would get the Noctua NH-D14 as your cooler because it is the best air cooler out there imo. Just check that your case, ram, and motherboard heatsinks have enough clearance to fit this cooler.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think I gained one degree by using the ULNA's and the fans are very nearly silent. I would go with the D14 but I'm biased.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

• 1 month later...

eventually went with the D14, great device!!!

wolf1o, on 31 Oct 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

eventually went with the D14, great device!!!

Now it's time to do some overclocking!! :D