Do dust filters restrict air flow?

InfamousMEE

I'm wondering because i don't know if I should either put two open air flow fans in the front or should i use high static air pressure fans.

This is not for water cooling.

There are only dust filters, no hard drive cages.

OPTIONAL: I plan to use the the corsair series fans either way. Any suggestions for others? I don't need fancy color scheme or lights.

i would go with normal air flow fans and definitely not one of the corsair series as i had both, led and quiet non led edt., super loud just terrible even with ulna 5V

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

i would go with normal air flow fans and definitely not one of the corsair series as i had both, led and quiet non led edt., super loud just terrible even with ulna 5V

Err..  The SP 120 quiet editions aren't loud at 5 volts, I have 6 of them in my case and it's not audible whatsoever at 5 volts.

I don't think the UNLA undervolt to 5v, I think it's 7v, because when I used to have my NF-F12's, the ULNA only takes them down to like 1000 RPM, and 5v took them to 600 rpm.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It ultimately depends on the kind of dust filter. Essentially all dust filters are going to restrict air flow there's no way getting around that, but some restrict air flow much more than others. Per example my Arc Midi R2 uses that memory foam type of padding for dust filters and I tell you what... it's absolutely horrible for air flow. If it's that thin mesh looking stuff with tiny little circle holes that you can essentially see through like a screen in a window. Then them aren't as bad and I would recommend using them as what little air flow they do hinder they make up for in catching cat hair and all that other good stuff.

I'm wondering because i don't know if I should either put two open air flow fans in the front or should i use high static air pressure fans.

This is not for water cooling.

There are only dust filters, no hard drive cages.

OPTIONAL: I plan to use the the corsair series fans either way. Any suggestions for others? I don't need fancy color scheme or lights.

Take a look. http://www.demcifilter.com/

How does Dust affect your PC and Hardware:

http://www.demcifilter.com/c51/Dust.aspx

Anything in the way of the fan air flow restricts air flows. Even the 3 plastic pieces to hold the fan motor at the center of the fan.

However, dust filters benefits clearly and significantly surpass the benefits over the reduction of air flow they causes, especially, that these days, CPUs and GPUs are considerably cooler than before. I am most convinced that you can go away with a single frontal case fan only (with excellent cable management and decent case that allows nice air flow) and do a light overclock on the system, with a med-high-range set of components, if you don't mind, a potential warmer than normal (for the specs) system.

2 case fans, one in the front and one in the back, in a med tower, good quality case, with excellent cable management, and 80Plus Gold certified PSU, will get you actually very far, and allow you to get pretty darn good overclocking for air cooled.

Notes:

-> When I say # of case fans, I mean that your CPU and GPU has a fan as well, obviously.

-> I assume high quality fans.

-> I consider case fans set at their lowest speed possible locked there (powered by the PSU), as quietness of a computer, is for me critical. No one enjoys a noisy system, I don't care what. Yes it means a warmer system (obviously), but as long as it's not ridiculously hot, you are good, and no the system will not reduce in life span by that extra 5-10 degree C more on the system. It will pass the 7 years (assuming high quality parts and no manufacture errors on components, with proper computer maintenance inside ie: clean it at least once a years, more so, if you have animal hair, carpet or have a smoker in the house)

-> Proper orientation of case fans, no side panel fans, and decently good case.

-> Proper selection of fans (some fans are designed to push air but distributes it, other fans are designed to push air in a cylinder shape, to pass through heat-sinks).

I mean yes.. But not very much and compared to airflow restrictions caused by the additional dust that will probably enter because the filters aren't there, I think the tradeoff is worthwhile.

Well you can easily prove it to yourself by at least feel, check air flow on you face with the filter, then remove the filter, same, more, less you be the judge.

Of course they do, but the option is not to and let the dust accumulate en mass!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Dust filters will restrict air flow a bit, but it's nothing compared to how much your computer would heat up if it were covered in dust, trust me.

Screens will cause turbulence as the fans pull through the air from outside your case, so this is a restriction. Also if you have noise insulation on the inside of your case they will also cause friction to the air passing through your case slowing it down even more compared to a smooth hard surface like metal or plexi.

If you can use larger 140mm fans compared to 120mm you should get better flow while keeping your noise levels down.

You could also use low noise 120mm fans to suck the air in if you can't fir 140's and use normal 140mm fans to evacuate the air and create some negative pressure which will help increase the flow in the case. But if you do negative pressure in your case then you have to think about all the areas that let air in and that don't have a screen. If you do have areas that allow unfiltered air in with negative pressure then you'll slowly get dust buildup in your case anyway.

If noise is a problem look for a fan that has rubber mounts which cuts down a lot of noise due to vibration.

Well you can easily prove it to yourself by at least feel, check air flow on you face with the filter, then remove the filter, same, more, less you be the judge.

Of course they do, but the option is not to and let the dust accumulate en mass!

If you want to test airflow, you can wet your hand or your face which makes you much more sensible to airflow then if your hand or face was dry.

If you want to test airflow, you can wet your hand or your face which makes you much more sensible to airflow then if your hand or face was dry.

thxs, and love your name

thxs, and love your name

Just realized I wrote sensible instead of sensitive but, i'm sure you understood what I meant!

Dust Filters will restrict airflow to a certain extent, but not enough to warrant SP fans, IMO. I would just buy well rounded fans to begin with and be able to use them in any situation down the line. Have a look at Noiseblocker and be quiet!.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates