I am tired of everyone claiming "6 cores do nothing for games," and tired of hearing "you only need 8 gigs of ram."

Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

Okay I get it. But what about the extra cost? Is the extra cost truly worth it? What kind of FPS boost are we talking about ?    

The  "quad core and 8GB is all you need" statement is valid for a lot of users. Some will obviously need more. The fact though that some people will by that statement as though it was one of ten commandments for a Christian, is quite honestly sad. It just reflects that some are incapable of reading between the lines. 

And people talk about Intel vs AMD threads exploding.... 

Fewer Intel cores  >  More AMD cores

The post was about people saying '6 cores don't do anything for games', not Red vs Blue as both AMD and Intel make cpus with 6+ cores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The post was about people saying '6 cores don't do anything for games', not Red vs Blue as both AMD and Intel make cpus with 6+ cores.

Fair enough.

However, the OP is wrong, you do not need more than 4 cores for gaming, this is shown by the 4790k outperforming the 8350, and most games are not even that multi-threaded

Fair enough.

However, the OP is wrong, you do not need more than 4 cores for gaming, this is shown by the 4790k outperforming the 8350, and most games are not even that multi-threaded

Read carefully, nothing was said about not needing more than 4 cores. Its about those who say '6 cores don't do anything for games'. (repeating myself here).

That cpu has 8 threads. Did you mean the 4690k? That cpu outperforms the 8350 as well.

Per core an old lga775 core 2 E8xxx beats any FX cpu at the same frequencies.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Read carefully, nothing was said about not needing more than 4 cores. Its about those who say '6 cores don't do anything for games'. (repeating myself here).

Per core an old lga775 core 2 E8xxx beats any FX cpu at the same frequencies.

well not more than 4 is really needed for games at the moment, however, more cores while gaming could be useful for multitasking whilst gaming.

Current games don't go beyond 4 cores. The reason why your seeing a improvment with your 6 cores is, 4 cores are used for games and the extra 2 cores for other task.

With a 4 core, games uses 4 cores and other task need to use the cores too, so it has to share.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

But you don't. You get better FPS because background tasks can be moved to the extra cores. 

So then yes more cores is better. Background tasks are moved so more fps for games.

Ultimately more fps.

And when i say more cores is better i am not refering to AMDin particular, intel or AMD CPUS with more cores will boost fps, maybe not a lot but it will.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Seriously guys, shut up.

I popped in my x6, and immediately saw higher FPS in planetside 2, Garry's mod, CS:GO, and Crysis when compared to my x4 at the same clock speed. (both are @ 4Ghz)

As for ram? I dont know about you, but I was constantly getting low memory messages with 8 gigs, and I've since installed 4 more.

The point is, These things do help.

so quit your preaching that "You only need a 4 core, and 8 gigs is more than enough," until you try a 6 core, with more than 8 gigs of ram.

If I see any of these kinds of posts in this thread, I will personally bust in your home and strangle you.

thank you.

/rant.

Well said!

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

how about you try an actual 4 core not an athlon?

It is an actual 4 core

this rant is on the forum's behavior towards CPUs and Memory.

I'm just tired of people making general statements like they're absolute truth.

Preach.

*does what your profile picture is*

ironic, aint it?

:D

There are not a significant number of games that utilize more than 4 cores that make having more than 4 cores for gaming a worthwhile investment. It is not that there are no games that will benefit from the addition of cores, it's that the performance per investment drops off a cliff beyond 4 cores.

I congratulate the OP on their upgrade to an X6 and really hope for the OPs continued enjoyment of 2010. The OP seems to play some of the games that can utilize more than 4 cores, and can see some minor performance increases from it. With the exception of CS:GO all of the games listed are known to use extra threads efficiently.

I was going to write more than this, but I really just give up. People turned this into AMD vs Intel.

To sum up:
Games that use more than a couple cores are rare, and from a performance per investment standpoint 4 cores is the best offering.
Intel beats AMD in the majority of games, that is why it is considered the current winner in gaming. There are select cases that AMD wins. (This is a fact, until you can prove otherwise, please shutup)
There are games that can use more than 8GB RAM for whatever reason. They aren't common. Most games don't even use 2GB RAM.
Even games that use more than 4 cores generally don't see large performance increases after 4 cores, and are often perfectly playable with just 4 cores.

People generalize a little too much, do research and build what works best for a given situation. If you frequently play games that can utilize high thread counts to gain in game performance, invest the processor that gives you the results you're looking for.

Why are people arguing so much here? The OP stated that there was a gain in those games, and that problems were fixed with more RAM. While it may not be overly common that this is the fix, and it may not fix all game performance issues, it can sometimes be a fix. It was in this case.

They're not absolute truth, but the fact of the matter is that 8GB of RAM and an Intel quad-core are enough for most peoples' gaming needs. Exceptions apply, but that's dependent on the user.

Most people's need are satiated with very middling hardware.  (Such as the budget build guides with both AMD and Intel LTT has posted recently.)  

If you're running a high end CPU with high end GPU's... why not spend $80 for another 8gb of RAM?  

That said I would never recommend anyone spend $1000 on a CPU if they're not using it as a workstation for something they make money off.  I don't care if you double your framerate.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

i love how they give me a warnign for ''spam'' when i had nothing that really classified as spam but i see standard ''fewer intel cores are better than more amd cores''' kinda posts.....

T^T yeah thats fair....

To be fair you seemed to be having fun trying to defuse tension while not adding much to the current debate. I personally found your comments funny and enjoyable though.

Also to anyone who knows what is Foobar 2000? A lot of people in this thread seemed to run it constantly yet I'v never heard of it till now.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

To be fair you seemed to be having fun trying to defuse tension while not adding much to the current debate. I personally found your comments funny and enjoyable though.

Also to anyone who knows what is Foobar 2000? A lot of people in this thread seemed to run it constantly yet I'v never heard of it till now.

awe. tankz. :'3 

i believe its a music player, pretty damn good. prefer it over itunes however itunes already has all my **** on it so i dont feel like moving over.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

If I see any of these kinds of posts in this thread, I will personally bust in your home and strangle you.

Bit rude don't you think, lol?

I was telling the people who mindlessly preach the 4core8gigs to shut up.

not every case is the same.

I could benifit from 24 cores with what I do.

but had I asked for advice on my build CPU wise, all i'd have gotten was i5 reccomendations.

Number of cores depends on the architecture. FX 6300 is better than an FX 4300 for sure... but no amount of multitasking is gonna make an FX 6300 better for anything than a modern (Ivy/Has) i5 simply because those 4 cores are strong enough that they provide both better single and multi-threaded performance.

More cores considering same architecture and similar clock speeds is always better to have... but more cores doesn't always mean better multitasking performance and can even be worse should the aforementioned things not be accounted for.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Just to add further fuel to this thread an i7 will offer no benefit over an i5 unless you are like rendering in the background. The only time I've used all 8GB of ram is when I play planet side 2 or have fun and open up chrome tabs till it maxes out :)

Just now for me to get my my ram almost maxed (7.5GB) I had to open 17 YouTube tabs in chrome, Steam downloading an update for a game (don't know if taht adds to ram usage but if it does it was happening), BioShock 2, Age of Empires, Civ V, vanilla Skyrem, Curse, LoL, and HWMonitor (I know it has little impact I just wanted to include all). That seems like a lot so 8GB recommended for most people still seems valid. My i7 was at ~50% load maxing at ~60% with core 3 at around 90% at 4.2Ghz as I think it was starting to throttle as I only have the stock cooler on it :(

In this forum I haven't seen anyone recommend an AMD quad core for gaming, its always the 6 core or 8 cores that get recommended as they provide a benefit worth the extra money. For Intel their quad cores are still all most people need with gamers maybe needing the 5930k if they want 3-way sli as I believe that needs more pcie lines than the consumer chips offer. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just to add further fuel to this thread an i7 will offer no benefit over an i5 unless you are like rendering in the background. The only time I've used all 8GB of ram is when I play planet side 2 or have fun and open up chrome tabs till it maxes out :)

Just now for me to get my my ram almost maxed (7.5GB) I had to open 17 YouTube tabs in chrome, Steam downloading an update for a game (don't know if taht adds to ram usage but if it does it was happening), BioShock 2, Age of Empires, Civ V, vanilla Skyrem, Curse, LoL, and HWMonitor (I know it has little impact I just wanted to include all). That seems like a lot so 8GB recommended for most people still seems valid. My i7 was at ~50% load maxing at ~60% with core 3 at around 90% at 4.2Ghz as I think it was starting to throttle as I only have the stock cooler on it :(

In this forum I haven't seen anyone recommend an AMD quad core for gaming, its always the 6 core or 8 cores that get recommended as they provide a benefit worth the extra money. For Intel their quad cores are still all most people need with gamers maybe needing the 5930k if they want 3-way sli as I believe that needs more pcie lines than the consumer chips offer.

You can even 3-way SLI with the i7-5820K so no need to spend 200$ almost more. So if people wsnt to step up and do not need alot of PCIE-Lanes or do not have the money they should go for the i7-5820K.

Thats my opinion on your posts last part.

In terms of price/performance its very bad value.... But if you were talking about unlimited budget, those things show benefit

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Or you can try 4 core Intel CPU and you'd see 4 cores are indeed enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I've not read the thread. But all I'll say is this:

DirectX12 is going to make MASSIVE use of multiple cores for games, processes and productivity.

The rebirth of the FX 8350 (and even the FX 6 cores) is upon us ;)

*Looks Around At Fellow FX Brothers And Sisters And Roars A Skin-Tingling Battle Cry With Fire In Mah Eyes And Heart*

I've not read the thread. But all I'll say is this:

DirectX12 is going to make MASSIVE use of multiple cores for games, processes and productivity.

The rebirth of the FX 8350 (and even the FX 6 cores) is upon us ;)

*Looks Around At Fellow FX Brothers And Sisters And Roars A Skin-Tingling Battle Cry With Fire In Mah Eyes And Heart*

1. Intel processors will get stronger as well (because of DX12 and raw performance).

2. By the time DX12 is mainstream, FX will be obsolete compared to other CPU's (Zen, Skylake, etc). 

Skylake i5's will likely be better than 8350's in every program, because they're already getting pretty close, even in things like rendering (which I think is within <10% regarding 4690k). 

Hopefully Zen will bring AMD back into the CPU world because i3's/i5's are getting stronger and FX is just sitting there.

Obviously this is all speculation and things I've heard on the forum though, so I could be wrong.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If your low on memory on 8g your using some bloat ware like google chrome. 

Let me step in.

I have a cute little G3258 OC'd pretty well (4.6GHz). I see surprisingly little performance impact due to only having two cores. Only some of the "heavier" titles that are more graphically demanding (Far Cry 3 and sometimes Bioshock Infinite) bring my G3258 down, and even then, it's from 50-60 (like with Battlefield 3) to 45-55. Which is still totally playable.

RAM... I can see the need for more than 8GB. Vegas loves it some good RAM. But normally, I never go past 5GB of use (with 2-3GB of the 8GB swap filled up).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)