Is my core i5 4690k obsolete yet?

It will be ok for 6 yrs

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

For a not so budget but still value gaming rig is my core i5 4690k still worth keeping or should i upgrade. Be reasonable im not running 4k anywhere in the near future.

U cray cray

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Man dont mock him , i also wanted to know if my pagani zonda R was starting to become obsolete.

Zonda_R_Front_1.jpg

Do i have to upgrade to a jet engine car?

Wooot? Still using that outdated piece of junk? I thought all the units had been sold as scrap metal already...

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Exactly! My first thought was, "what the fuck? Isn't that shit top of the 1150 line?"

haahahahahahahaha. Same here this mate actually confused me . i'm not old in PC regard and i just bought i5 4690K 1 month ago. i was about to die that how the fuck internet lied to me that this is the top most this time.  :blink:

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Haswell-E, i have Haswell-E and there are NO i5 in this linuep: only i7s and Xeons. 

I think u mean Haswell Mainstream (LGA1150)

Use common sense . did OP mentioned the Big E of your line anywhere never planet mars where were residing while answering to this thread.

Yes, Yes!

I did meant that only!

Haswell Refresh !!

My bad!

Mate you don't need to say sorry. everyone know the Haswell E and Refresher difference . Number of CPU name telling everything.  And yes tell him it is top of the line i5 in 1150 coz there no i5 in his line.  :D

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

For a not so budget but still value gaming rig is my core i5 4690k still worth keeping or should i upgrade. Be reasonable im not running 4k anywhere in the near future.

CPU has nothing to do with the resolution you run at so it doesn't really matter. The 4690K is good enough for 1024x768 and 11520x2160 alike; it's the game, framerate and quality settings that are gonna affect CPU load. The 4690K is still one of the best gaming CPUs, and with DirectX 12 coming out in the future I don't see that changing for quite some time.

I don't have a huge game collection, but for reference I can maintain a solid 100+ FPS with my 4690K @ stock 3.5 with a GTX 760 in Battlefield 4 multiplayer.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

@WoodenMarker, Please close this stupid thread.

haahahahahahahaha. Same here this mate actually confused me . i'm not old in PC regard and i just bought i5 4690K 1 month ago. i was about to die that how the fuck internet lied to me that this is the top most this time. :blink:

The chip is only 6 months old xD, its a baby! Maybe two more generations and it'll be a little bit aged. That chip will last a while.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

@WoodenMarker, Please close this stupid thread.

I don't see why.

There's also a report button you can use instead of posting something like this. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't see why.

There's also a report button you can use instead of posting something like this. 

Ok even if I didn't see the report button what good could come from asking if your chip is obsolete when it's the newest i5 on the socket?  It's an obviously pointless post.

Ok even if I didn't see the report button what good could come from asking if your chip is obsolete when it's the newest i5 on the socket?  It's an obviously pointless post.

Some people don't know these things and the forum is a place to ask. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Some people don't know these things and the forum is a place to ask. 

I think this is the same as asking if your brad new 5960x is starting to show its age.

I think this post has just made so that op could brag about his new cpu,

Just my two cents.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     its less than a year old

It's the fastest and most recent Core i5 available.  :huh:

There isn't even a replacement for the 4690k and even when Broadwell brings a replacement the 4690k will still be plenty useful and nowhere near obsolete.

R7 2700x | ASUS Strix X470-f | 4x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Zotac RTX 2080ti | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
2x Xeon X5650 | Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F | 6x4 Micron DDR3 ECC | 4x4TB HDD