Frame Rates Issue

DevilishBooster
Go to solution Solved by tmlhalo,

I've been focusing on getting important files transferred and resetting system settings, but I was able to get one game installed that had significant issues with freezing/stuttering (SW-KOTOR). It's an older game so I felt it would be a good test as it should not have been freezing even on the WD Black2 drive. Initial results seem to show that the problem has been fixed, so I'm confident in saying that the issue was the HDD portion of the Black2. I will post a second update and (hopefully) mark this as solved once I am able to install a couple more games and run real tests. Here are the HDTune results I got immediately after getting the drive set up and the OS installed.

This is the Intel 530 Series m.2 that holds the OS and core programs.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2100.png

These are the two Crucial M550 SSDs holding the games/higher demand programs.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2105.pngattachicon.gif2015-01-13_2118.png

And this is a WD Black HDD I'm using for file storage since I don't need lightning fast access for Word and Music.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2123.png

Everything looks right by the charts. Access times are low. Transfer rate is sitting above 200 MB/s for the SSDs. As you can see in your 2.5 5400 rpm WD 640 GB drive it doesn't have those extreme dips like the WD Black^2 did. Some part of that Black^2 was defective. Glad to hear the SW KOTOR tests turned out good. If you have any free roam open world games they usually are the most demanding for dynamically loading parts of the map. Though 99.99999% positive the issue is fixed.

Everything looks right by the charts. Access times are low. Transfer rate is sitting above 200 MB/s for the SSDs. As you can see in your 2.5 5400 rpm WD 640 GB drive it doesn't have those extreme dips like the WD Black^2 did. Some part of that Black^2 was defective. Glad to hear the SW KOTOR tests turned out good. If you have any free roam open world games they usually are the most demanding for dynamically loading parts of the map. Though 99.99999% positive the issue is fixed.

Alrighty! I got my main games re-installed and tested the ones that had larger issues. As posted previously, KOTOR is now running with 0 freezing/lagging, and the same can be said for DA:O and COD Ghosts. Seems like we have the solution. Thanks again to everyone that helped, but especially to @tmlhalo and @LabRat! May all your frame rates be high and your temperatures low. Praise the Gaben!

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

It's an ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer. This is while running Dragon Age Origins. I've even gone as far to run AV scans and AM scans, and I'm still having the frame rate issue. As you can see, my Mobo temps are capping out at ~52C while my CPU is staying nice and cool. The GPU isn't breaking 57C.

attachicon.gif2015-01-01_0235.png

Woah, woah, woah, your fan RPM is really low for those temps?

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!

Woah, woah, woah, your fan RPM is really low for those temps?

Yeah they sit that low, but those fan speeds aren't that low tbh. I wish I could have them down to ~750rpm, but that won't happen until I get the money for my custom water cooling loop. That screen shot was while running under heavy(ish) load playing DA:O at max graphics settings. I use the ASRock F-Stream Utility to have the target temp set @ 50C and the target fan speed set to 1 (out of 10). Unless temps start reading over 50C the fans won't spin above their lowest setting, and then they only go as high as is needed to maintain the target temp. This is from a couple minutes ago running at idle with just web-browsing and Word open. (You can ignore the AUXTIN reading because those never read accurately.)

post-63986-0-14893600-1421383470_thumb.p

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.