Which one to use: 3930K or 4770K

Go to solution Solved by GamerDude,

IF you intend to run multiple GPU setup, then I whole-heartedly recommend the 3930K + X79 mobo for 40 native PCIe lanes. But for 2 GPU's or less, then it's a toss up between the two.....still, for me, I'd ditch the 4770K (since it sucks at OCing) and build a new rig based on the 3930K....

Hey Everyone,

I happen to have a 4770K and a 3930K. However, the 4770K is an OC dud for the voltages I have to supply to get it to clock higher than 4.2Ghz. I have the 3930K but I haven't bought a motherboard and a case for the thing. I have to give one of my system to my parents so I'm wondering if I should stick with the 3930K. I already have an H110 which I want to use with that so I'm looking for an appropriate case that wont gouge me for price. I was looking at the CoolerMaster HAF XB and the Fractal Design XL R2. I would keep the CoolerMaster HAF XB in a test bench setup if need be so thats around 100-150$ on the case - basically anything thats compatible with H110 without doing any mods unless its really easy (I have a drill but not too good with it). The problem is if I go with the HAF XB then I wont have the option of getting the Rampage IV Extreme (EATX mobo) and I will end up going with the Rampage IV Formula which I hear is still quite ok. I am going to shoot for around 4.2-4.4 Ghz with the hexacore (whatever keeps the temps low) and I am running a GTX 780 SLI setup.

What do you guys recommend?

3930K.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3930K all the way. A good rule of thumb is "Never give out a hex-core workstation grade processor" :)

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

IF you intend to run multiple GPU setup, then I whole-heartedly recommend the 3930K + X79 mobo for 40 native PCIe lanes. But for 2 GPU's or less, then it's a toss up between the two.....still, for me, I'd ditch the 4770K (since it sucks at OCing) and build a new rig based on the 3930K....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Keep the 4770k and give me the 3930k :D

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

Hey Everyone,

I happen to have a 4770K and a 3930K. However, the 4770K is an OC dud for the voltages I have to supply to get it to clock higher than 4.2Ghz. I have the 3930K but I haven't bought a motherboard and a case for the thing. I have to give one of my system to my parents so I'm wondering if I should stick with the 3930K. I already have an H110 which I want to use with that so I'm looking for an appropriate case that wont gouge me for price. I was looking at the CoolerMaster HAF XB and the Fractal Design XL R2. I would keep the CoolerMaster HAF XB in a test bench setup if need be so thats around 100-150$ on the case - basically anything thats compatible with H110 without doing any mods unless its really easy (I have a drill but not too good with it). The problem is if I go with the HAF XB then I wont have the option of getting the Rampage IV Extreme (EATX mobo) and I will end up going with the Rampage IV Formula which I hear is still quite ok. I am going to shoot for around 4.2-4.4 Ghz with the hexacore (whatever keeps the temps low) and I am running a GTX 780 SLI setup.

What do you guys recommend?

If its raw power, than 3930k. How ever, what are you going to use this system for mostly. 

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

yup everyone here will agree... 3930k all the way.. hell i would get one if i could afford it lol

If you have to ask, the 4770K is right for you.

Can't believe so many got this wrong.

Also, the 3930K is +15% power for +55% cost with a worse chipset. So even if you were an actual enthusiast, you would show more brains by choosing the 4770K right now.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If you have to ask, the 4770K is right for you.

Can't believe so many got this wrong.

Also, the 3930K is +15% power for +55% cost with a worse chipset. So even if you were an actual enthusiast, you would show more brains by choosing the 4770K right now.

He owns both.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

He owns both.

Well if I had a 4770K and a 3930K and had to buy a motherboard for one of them, I'd go 4770K with an MSi Mpower Max rather than tie a small performance boost to a now-antiquated chipset. Sell the 3930K, I bet you can find some fool to buy it for almost top dollar.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

He said he already has the CPUs though, so I think it would be in his best interest to go with a x79 setup.