What is a port? (correction TechQuickie, sorry Linus ;p)

Lutkeveld

If not excursion, does this affect damping?

Can you be a bit more specific? What is 'this' and damping of what?

Edit: talked to SSL via PM. Maybe this explanation is interesting for others too:

All drivers have their own damping, caused by the spider and surround pulling the cone back to its original position. The air compliance in an enclosure helps the driver to return to its original position and thus reducing excursion. Above the Helmholtz freq the air inside the enclosure is bouncing against the air trapped inside the port so the backside of the driver gets to use the air inside the enclosure as a spring. At a certain freq the air starts to resonate causing the output seen in the graphs of OP. The backpressure increases, limiting driver excursion severely, all output comes from the port. To illustrate I made a quick simulation of ported vs sealed. 

24ecbhd.png

X-axis is freq, Y-axis is excursion. The dip is the resonance freq, under resonance freq the port is just a hole (no damping) causing excursion the increase rapidly.

Can you be a bit more specific? What is 'this' and damping of what?

Mechanical damping of the driver by the enclosure, i.e. sealed vs. ported. Or am I just off completely.

This is disgraceful I think Linus needs to pull the video and re-take the part where he screwed up.

**lol I have no idea what any of this means and I'm being sarcastic

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors