Do I need DAC/Amp or PCIe soundcard for Sennheiser HD 650

randomsimpleguy

So, I got myself Sennheiser HD 650 for holidays and I am wondering can my on-board audio handle HD 650. (still not home, that's why I am wondering)

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5.

My motherboard has Realtek ALC 1150 and built-in amp (*cough* *cough* "amp" *cough*) (and I know gigabyte is stating that amp can drive 600 ohms)

If my motherboard audio can't drive my HD 650 properly, can this > FIIO E10K OLYMPUS 2 D/A ? (or something similar in that price range)

Hope you understand what I want to say :D

Sorry for bad english.

you don't really need it imo

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

So, I got myself Sennheiser HD 650 for holidays and I am wondering can my on-board audio handle HD 650. (still not home, that's why I am wondering)

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5.

My motherboard has Realtek ALC 1150 and built-in amp (*cough* *cough* "amp" *cough*) (and I know gigabyte is stating that amp can drive 600 ohms)

If my motherboard audio can't drive my HD 650 properly, can this > FIIO E10K OLYMPUS 2 D/A ? (or something similar in that price range)

Hope you understand what I want to say :D

Sorry for bad english.

Try it first, and if it doesn't have any sound problems like volume to small, distortions, noises, clippings, crackling, etc, then it's all good. HD650 can be run nicely straight off ipad3, and it got nothing to do with impedance.

You own the motherboard and the headphone, you tell us. It will be obvious if the answer is "no".

You own the motherboard and the headphone, you tell us. It will be obvious if the answer is "no".

Im on vacation in Germany, that's why I am asking, so I have time to buy FIIO or other dac/amp if my on-board audio isn't good enough.

Im on vacation in Germany, that's why I am asking, so I have time to buy FIIO or other dac/amp if my on-board audio isn't good enough.

For a logical analysis, let's say there's a 50-50 chance that your PC can drive it well or not. We got 4 possibilites, let's elaborate them.

- If you think you don't need it, and it turns out that it's true you don't need it, then all is well. This also goes with: if you think you need it (and go and buy an amp), and it turns out that you do need it, then all is good as well. 

- If you think you don't need it, and it turns out that you do need it, then you will have to get an amp later on.

- If you think you need it, and it turns out that you don't need it, then you will have a redundant amp that costs some money.

So just weigh on the possibilities, and go with the one that will gain the most, or cost the least. 

The fact is like I said above, HD650 can run straight off ipad. If you already got the HD650, surely you can find/borrow a music playing device and test it. Might even go to an internet/LAN cafe and try plugging it to the PC.

For a logical analysis, let's say there's a 50-50 chance that your PC can drive it well or not. We got 4 possibilites, let's elaborate them.

- If you think you don't need it, and it turns out that it's true you don't need it, then all is well. This also goes with: if you think you need it (and go and buy an amp), and it turns out that you do need it, then all is good as well.

- If you think you don't need it, and it turns out that you do need it, then you will have to get an amp later on.

- If you think you need it, and it turns out that you don't need it, then you will have a redundant amp that costs some money.

So just weigh on the possibilities, and go with the one that will gain the most, or cost the least.

The fact is like I said above, HD650 can run straight off ipad. If you already got the HD650, surely you can find/borrow a music playing device and test it. Might even go to an internet/LAN cafe and try plugging it to the PC.

Or, and this is just a shot in the dark, he can ask a forum that has people who are knowledgable in these matters so he can know all the sooner.

If only the people here deamed him worthy of an answer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Or, and this is just a shot in the dark, he can ask a forum that has people who are knowledgable in these matters so he can know all the sooner.

Butthurt much? We can't really answer a question like this definitively unless someone here owns both pieces of gear in question.

Well, here's the description from Nwavguy:

"The HD 650 ideally deserves an amp with a proper split power supply like the FiiO E9 or even a good dual battery Cmoy. But it will need enough gain to get up to at least 2 volts from whatever your source can manage (typically at least 4X or about 12 dB)."

Butthurt much? We can't really answer a question like this definitively unless someone here owns both pieces of gear in question.

Well couldn't you take an educated guess seeing as you seem to know so much?

HD650s are Sennheiser, who have typically excellent sensitivity. It takes all of ten seconds to look up ratings of Gigabyte's onboard audio from the Z97 series.

And if you really don't know the kinda things a FiiO E10K can drive, why do you offer your opinion at all?

If you're never going to post anything helpful, what's the point?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

HD650s are Sennheiser, who have typically excellent sensitivity. It takes all of ten seconds to look up ratings of Gigabyte's onboard audio from the Z97 series.

And if you really don't know the kinda things a FiiO E10K can drive, why do you offer your opinion at all?

Cry harder, I'm enjoying.

Because audio being the subjective thing that it is, some people listen louder then others....And if they happen to listen at a volume that is beyond the limits of a certain product, a volume that we have no way of knowing, we have to make do with what we have been doing for the past two years or so...

Cry harder, I'm enjoying.

Based hater...

Because audio being the subjective thing that it is, some people listen louder then others....And if they happen to listen at a volume that is beyond the limits of a certain product, a volume that we have no way of knowing, we have to make do with what we have been doing for the past two years or so...

Is it too hard to say "Typically, no, but if you like your music to be louder an amp may be beneficial" rather than "You have it, I'm going to add nothing helpful to this topic then shit on you if you ask me a question".

Is it too hard to say "Typically, no, but if you like your music to be louder an amp may be beneficial" rather than "You have it, I'm going to add nothing helpful to this topic then shit on you if you ask me a question".

SSL, with his infinite space brain, is in the right, why do we have to tell the OP if he will enjoy the products in front of him? Then normally OP would report back, "Everything is good." Or "Shits fucked, adult needed." And we work from there, like we always have. 

SSL, with his infinite space brain, is in the right, why do we have to tell the OP if he will enjoy the products in front of him? Then normally OP would report back, "Everything is good." Or "Shits fucked, adult needed." And we work from there, like we always have.

And when has "we've always done it this way" been the right answer?

This guys question is simple. Answer it in parts.

Objectively, no, this set up will in all likelyhood run the HD650s with no real problems.

Subjectively, an amp will allow you to reach a higher volume, if you prefer that.

You can help without coming off aloof

SSL, with his infinite space brain,

Let's not get carried away, my head is big enough.

It's certainly possible, yes. Probable, no.

It's certainly possible, yes. Probable, no.

Well, I guess if you pride yourself on coming off dickish no more is to be said

And when has "we've always done it this way" been the right answer?

Because audio is a slow to change field, seldom is there a point to changing how you do things....

This guys question is simple. Answer it in parts.

Not efficient.

Objectively, no, this set up will in all likelyhood run the HD650s with no real problems.

We said that, repeatedly.

Subjectively, an amp will allow you to reach a higher volume, if you prefer that.

Also said this

You're confusing a short, direct answer with being an ass.

No such thing as big enough. 

Well, I guess if you pride yourself on coming off dickish no more is to be said

You may be on to something.

No such thing as big enough. 

I wonder...

Just grab an amp from a store that have excellent return policy, if you can hear the different and you think it's worth the money, keep them. If you can't hear the difference or don't think the difference isn't worth the money, return them.

I never really trust someone's opinion about audio 100%, which is both objective and subjective.

I personally can hear the difference using HD600 between ibasso d-zero and my oneplus one

I don't think that first response was that bad. He stated the possibilities and said they will run off an ipad so the OP can make his own decisions. If you're only here to create arguments then I suggest you leave. It's a simple as that. You're the only one that's causing trouble here. 

I don't think that first response was that bad. He stated the possibilities and said they will run off an ipad so the OP can make his own decisions. If you're only here to create arguments then I suggest you leave. It's a simple as that. You're the only one that's causing trouble here. 

Just blaming him is being discriminate. I can think of two other people that were trying to get a fight going. 

Just blaming his is being discriminate. I can think of two other people that were trying to get a fight going. 

Hi

Just blaming him is being discriminate. I can think of two other people that were trying to get a fight going. 

Yeah but he's been starting it in multiple threads.