Tools Recommended for Building a PC?

LucasJohn

Hi people I'm Lucas. I'm new here and going to building my very first gaming/video editing (sorta) PC soon. So I'm just wondering on safety tools and proper tools I would need. So If anyone has any suggestions or guide that exists that I cannot find, could ya help me out? Thanks. :)

If you want to see the spec I'm planning using. (I know my build seems similar because I've used some references as well)

Specs planned to be used:

----------------------------------------

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-core

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid Cooler

RAM: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA 1150

GPU: Dual Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce (2-way SLI)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Fully Modular ATX

HDD: WD Black Series 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM internal

SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5"

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit (Already have it. Got it from a friend)

You'll need a standard Phillips screwdriver. These should help:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

The case is where all the screws and stuff will be need to installed, and a build in the Enthoo Pro will only require a medium-sized Philips (+) screwdriver.

"Rawr XD"

One or two standard sized Phillips head (a.k.a. star) screwdriver(s), some tie-wraps for cable management and some coffee. that's really about it. 

You really only need one Phillips head screwdriver, but for some aftermarket cpu coolers you need two. in your case, you should only need one.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

This might be pricey, but I'll be damned if having it isn't amazing. 

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Premium-Piece-Computer-Tool/dp/B00004Z6PM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419999025&sr=8-3&keywords=Fellowes+TOol+Kit

For $35 you get two screwdsrivers, an okay flashlight, an anti-static wrist-strap, a ratchet that works both with sockets and with screws (heads provided) a screw finder, a pair of wire strippers and cutters, and some cleaning cloths. As well as a holder for screws. I got the kit for Christmas, and already find having an angle-able ratchet screwdriver amazingly useful after I had to take my keyboard tray off. So it can be useful for both your Computer, and your accompanying furniture! Not to mention general use around the house!

Otherwise just a standard Phillips screwdriver..

Philips head screwdriver and an anti-static wrist strap. The wrist strap is a precaution against ESD, but the screwdriver is absolutely necessary for assembly.

If you plan on using zip ties or those little rubber isolators for fans then you'll find side snips (Good scissors work too) and needle nose pliers handy.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

One screw Driver , 2 hand one brain two eyes.you can use one eye if you want :D Paper cutter for ties 

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Phillips head screwdriver that is magnetic, cordless drill makes stuff a lot quicker, heap of cable ties and clippers.

#2 Phillips screwdriver for every screw

Small zap straps for cable management

Electrical tape for cable management

That's it. That's all.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

#2 Phillips screwdriver for every screw

Small zap straps for cable management

Electrical tape for cable management

That's it. That's all.

I recommend twist ties not zip straps.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

A anti[static wriststrap, a philips screwdriver, and some patience.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Pry Bar, Box Cuter, Blow Torch, Volt Meter, Sledge Hammer, Rubber Gloves, 1/2" Chain ~5 feet of it, Sharp Point Magic Marker, Grinder, Fine Wet/Dry Sand Paper, Super Sharp Wire Cutters, Sewing Needle(s), Nibbler, and optionally a Chain Saw.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I know that a lot less can do it but these tools I like to keep near by when building or dismantling PC's and other electronic equipment.

qWkmrSp.png

1. Magnetic Philips head screwdriver
  2. Cable binders - I prefer these over cable ties as they are more easily removable
  3. USB Flash drive with whatever OS installation i need to top the build off with.
  4. Small Philips head screwdriver for those places where #1 is too big.
  5. (See the picture below) I have no clue what this thing is called or where you get it but it has been with me for the last 20 years and have saved my butt more times than i care to think about when trying to get to screws my hands and fingers are simply too big to get to. Also, it does a decent job of holding screws in place at weird angles if you don't have a magnetic screwdriver around.
  6. Tweezers.
  7. Felt or microfiber scrapings - for removing thermal paste
  8. Thermal paste

Also, not on the picture, an anti static wrist-wrap and a clean non conductive work space. I use the ModMat Extreme but way less will do =)

b9y5CRK.png

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

I like the smaller phillips screwdrivers, preferably magnetic.  

Some other useful things are cable ties and something to help you sort leftover screws.

99% isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol (95% ethanol)/ or if you're like me, cologne works in a pinch to remove old thermal paste safely. (I would avoid something like 70% isopropylalcohol.  That's a bit more H2O than I'd be comfortable with using personally.)

Tweezers come in handy as well.

If you're upgrading a PC it's a good idea to pick up those cans of difluoroethane  to blow out the dust. (It's not "cans of air" like people seem to think.  Compressed air/vacuums can cause shorts, although personally having done both you can get away with using them it's just not a great idea.  

Have a USB or CD on hand so you can install Windows or your OS of choice.  

Read the fucking manual.  This is most important when plugging everything in, but it never hurts to skim through your motherboard's manual while putting things together.  Write a list of essential plugins and check them off as you plug them in.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I know that a lot less can do it but these tools I like to keep near by when building or dismantling PC's and other electronic equipment.

qWkmrSp.png

1. Magnetic Philips head screwdriver
  2. Cable binders - I prefer these over cable ties as they are more easily removable
  3. USB Flash drive with whatever OS installation i need to top the build off with.
  4. Small Philips head screwdriver for those places where #1 is too big.
  5. (See the picture below) I have no clue what this thing is called or where you get it but it has been with me for the last 20 years and have saved my butt more times than i care to think about when trying to get to screws my hands and fingers are simply too big to get to. Also, it does a decent job of holding screws in place at weird angles if you don't have a magnetic screwdriver around.
  6. Tweezers.
  7. Felt or microfiber scrapings - for removing thermal paste
  8. Thermal paste

Also, not on the picture, an anti static wrist-wrap and a clean non conductive work space. I use the ModMat Extreme but way less will 

You Make me laugh so hard when I do anything I don't even use a screwdrivers, I pretty much always get those cases with thubscrew everything 

So I'm just wondering on safety tools and proper tools I would need.

sledgehammer-e1306512788505.jpg

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

A hammer, chisel and possibly some super glue.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Philips screwdriver (preferably magnetic), microfiber cloth, a box of tissues, magnetic screw dish (or anything you can drop screws in so that they don't get lost), xacto knife (for those packages that just won't open), your favorite drink (to keep yourself motivated)...