Will AIOs be compatible with Intel's LGA1151

Hello,

Though there is no confirmed information yet but historically 99% of all-in-one watercoolers (I think) has a bracket that can fit in many Intel sockets both past and future.

Do you think this will be the case for 1151?

I do not have enough money to buy an i7 4790K but I do want to spend the money I received this Christmas before the year ends. I want that to be a Nepton 280L to cool my hot and extremely noisy FX-8350 with it's annoying stock cooler. I hate this CPU and I want to shut it up in the meantime before I upgrade to a high-end Intel. And I want to pair the Nepton 280L with a Cooler Master Vanguard PSU but that is another topic.

Is there really any differences between Intel sockets and how they manage CPU cooling brackets?

At Cooler Master's website the 280L seems to be compatible with every Intel sockets out there. Check under 'Specs' tab:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/nepton-280l/

So if I buy this watercooler now do you think I can apply it to future CPUs too?

If I am to buy this cooler what thermal paste should I buy? Do I need one at all? Please use the link below to find a thermal paste, I only buy from that shop because they are only 5-10 mins from my place :)

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=9&id2=188 

Also check my signature if you think this Nepton 280L will match my current build. If you want to recommend another cooler please do! I am interested with the Nepton 280L because it looks mean, big and ugly, like Batman xD

Thanks!

@Faceman

@Fate

I want to hear your opinions too!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

115x mounting hasn't changed in the slightest, so I see no reason why intel would suddenly change it. So yes, I do believe it will work. 

Again with the desktop Skylake thing...

Desktop Skylake is coming in Q1 2016!!! Next year is desktop Broadwell, don't you guys want to wait for that first and then Skylake? No one one knows how the socket will look like for sure. Nevertheless, it's likely that it will be the same as 1156, 1155 and 1150.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Nothing is for certain of course, but it will probably work.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Desktop Skylake is coming in Q1 2016!!! Next year is desktop Broadwell, don't you guys want to wait for that first and then Skylake? No one one knows how the socket will look like for sure. Nevertheless, it's likely that it will be the same as 1156, 1155 and 1150.

Actually Broadwell non k and k versions along with skylake non k are being released about the same time. Skylake K versions only being released in 2016. so skylake is coming next year.

But since its non K version you dont need to waist money on a fancy cooler and definitely not a water cooler.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

I thought they said Skylake Q2 2015 alongside with Broadwell simultaneously.

So it is extremely unlikely they'll do something drastic?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

But since its non K version you dont need to waist money on a fancy cooler and definitely not a water cooler.

But what about buying a water cooler now (for my current CPU which still runs on stock cooling for 12 months) and transfer it to whenever the unlocked CPU comes out.

But what about buying a water cooler now (for my current CPU which still runs on stock cooling for 12 months) and transfer it to whenever the unlocked CPU comes out.

The only people who can answer that would be intel. No one knows the socket and if existing coolers will fit besides Intel.

You will only get peoples opinions and guesses now until intel releases specs.

We would all hope that the coolers will fit no problem or at least you would need to buy a new bracket which wouldn't cost much.

But no one knows

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

Thanks for the replies.

What about thermal pastes? Any comment on that?

Even if it doesn't work (and would need a new bracket), I'm pretty sure both Corsair and Cooler Master would ship a bracket for free if you ask nicely

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Thermal paste?

Thermal paste?

Noctua NT-H1 - $9

It is not necessary, because Cooler Master CPU Coolers come with their own tube of thermal paste, so you have plenty.  The difference between the CM TIM and the Noctua is like 2-3C at most, not sure if it is worth it to you or not.

As far as forward compatibility goes, it is unknown.  I don't want to say either way because I am not sure.  I would recommend you go with the Cooler Master Nepton 240M though because it is said to be much more quiet than the 280L, and the included fans are incredibly high quality, so you want have to switch them out.  The 280L included fans are not bad either, but the 240Ms are that much better.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Noctua NT-H1 - $9

It is not necessary, because Cooler Master CPU Coolers come with their own tube of thermal paste, so you have plenty.  The difference between the CM TIM and the Noctua is like 2-3C at most, not sure if it is worth it to you or not.

As far as forward compatibility goes, it is unknown.  I don't want to say either way because I am not sure.  I would recommend you go with the Cooler Master Nepton 240M though because it is said to be much more quiet than the 280L, and the included fans are incredibly high quality, so you want have to switch them out.  The 280L included fans are not bad either, but the 240Ms are that much better.

The bigger the radiator the better because I am planning to replace them with Noctua fans anyway.

240M is not at my local PC retailer.