Best free antivirus software?

PcWindowsGeek1

Microsoft security essentials

AVG.

Even if I had money for Anti Virus software I'd just get the free version of AVG. Been using it for about 5 years and have had 0 problems. 

Even if you pirate stuff you can temporarily turn off AVG so it doesn't try to delete a crack that it thinks is a virus.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I agree with @Coombzy @SuperOwnJK and @. I have been using AVG free for years and never had problems  ^_^

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Use avast free, then if you want install malwarebytes free as a secondary on demand scanner and that will see you right.

security essentials

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Normally I would say Avast. I definitely prefer it to all others. However, there were some issues with Windows 8 in which installing Avast crashed the OS and a reinstall was necessary. With Windows 7 and the newer version, they have now imposed additional security restrictions. That makes life difficult for software tinkerers like myself.

I moved to AVG recently for those reasons.

Microsoft Security Essentials. Never had one problem with it. It doesn't seem heavy on anything and only bothers you when you need to be bothered!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I don't use one because i know how to use the internet and not get a virus. Personally anything that is free is probably garbage anyways.

I don't use one because i know how to use the internet and not get a virus. Personally anything that is free is probably garbage anyways.

I don't wear a seatbelt because I know how to drive properly and not get into a crash.

Sounds pretty silly, right?

It's always good to take preventative measures, especially when they don't cost you anything.  And free antivirus solutions work beautifully, any sort of antivirus roundup will tell you that.

Anyway, on topic, I'm liking AVG.  Avast has a lot of configuration options but I'm too lazy to go through all of them haha.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I use AVG. I've heard Microsoft Security Essentials is good, and I think it comes pre-installed with Windows. Bitdefender, Avast! and ESET Nod32 are also good options (I'm guessing ESET has a free option).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't wear a seatbelt because I know how to drive properly and not get into a crash.

Sounds pretty silly, right?

It's always good to take preventative measures, especially when they don't cost you anything.  And free antivirus solutions work beautifully, any sort of antivirus roundup will tell you that.

OK but I haven't used a antivirus in years I don't download things that look like the might be harmful. If you don't wear a seatbelt its just stupid not using a antivirus sint stupid its called being smart. Why run a piece of software that either isn't going to do anything or cost you money when you can just be smart about ti and just not click on win 1000000000$ links.

OK but I haven't used a antivirus in years I don't download things that look like the might be harmful. If you don't wear a seatbelt its just stupid not using a antivirus sint stupid its called being smart. Why run a piece of software that either isn't going to do anything or cost you money when you can just be smart about ti and just not click on win 1000000000$ links.

Accidental misclicks can occur. Nobody is perfect.

Antivirus is free too, so it doesn't cost anything.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I like AVG personally. I've heard good things about others too, but that's my personal favourite. It doesn't seem to slow me down and, whilst I've never actually had a virus (cos I know that I haven't really got a free iPhone lol), it's got very good reviews

OnePlus 6T

Just exactly what do you do to make sure you do not become infected?

Considering you can be infected 'just' by visiting a website no downloading no adclicking, common sense alone is not a substitute for having a real time antimalware at all.

Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. Combine that with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy 2 and you seriously must do something very strange to get a virus.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

How do you know that your PC isn't infected when you don't have any sort of antivirus?

It amuses me how people with that attitude think they are virus-free when they have no software to check their system with.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Accidental misclicks can occur. Nobody is perfect.

Antivirus is free too, so it doesn't cost anything.

I don't make accidental clicks. I haven't had a virus in years since Pentium 3 was a thing.

I don't make accidental clicks. I haven't had a virus in years since Pentium 3 was a thing.

Not happening in the past doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Being too cocky about it is the surest way to slip up eventually. People are always keen to say "It won't happen to me" until it actually happens.