Whats more important for photoediting : CPU or GPU

so guys, what do u think is more important for editing high res pictures.the software would be adobe photoshop and lightroom.

Res: 5760x 3840 pixels

..Both. 

You can't really do much without a powerful enough cpu and graphics card. 

Having an excessively powerful cpu or graphics card wouldn't help much either.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

..Both. 

You can't really do much without a powerful enough cpu and graphics card. 

Having an excessively powerful cpu or graphics card wouldn't help much either.

the problem is that i want to buy the imac 5k and well i don't want to spent that amount of money haha so i was thinking which will help me more on the long run. upgrading the r9 m290x to a r9 m295x or upgrading the i5 3,5-3,9ghz to a i7 4-4,4 Ghz

the problem is that i want to buy the imac 5k and well i don't want to spent that amount of money haha so i was thinking which will help me more on the long run. upgrading the r9 m290x to a r9 m295x or upgrading the i5 3,5-3,9ghz to a i7 4-4,4 Ghz

Getting the i7 would be better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I literally just built a machine for a graphic designer that also works with photography under 600€ without a GPU and the owner is liking it.

I work more on video but I suppose photography ends up being the same (more or less). WIth a weak GPU my video preview will be crap, but since I have a better CPU than GPU I use my CPU to render my videos.

One thing that is important for photography is actually memory - if you dont have enough memory (either RAM or in a scrach disk just for the purpose), you may run out of it. I was doing a very high resolution edit and ran out of memory. I bought myself a 128 ssd just to be a photoshop/premiere/nuke scratchdisk.