Why do the videos of my camera look so dark?

LarsReviews
Go to solution Solved by Flyguygamer,

Thank you. It seems to look better now. The battery ran out, so I have to charge it before I can copy the files to my pc. I should really get some more batteries :D

Yeah, I love my extra batteries. Please pm me and I can tell you more about how to set manual exposure. I make money from my photo/video jobs and love helping others. 

Basically, keep the iso as low as possible, Shutter speed twice the frame rate (30 fps means 1/60 sec, 60 fps means 1/120 sec), then set aperture between f/8 and f/11 if possible to get a large dof and to balance the slow shutter speed. Iso, lower is better, try to never go above 1600 is possible.

For lighting I use 2 Softboxes. Each lamp has a white filter thing in front of it and the energy saving bulbs have 55 watts. The Light is really bright, but I the camera still makes it look dark. I have a Panasonic G6 and use it in auto mode.

Before Editing:

Hs43Ps3.jpg

After Editing:

eHiuCLz.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Just watched one of your videos.

I have no idea how to speak german

i am confused, yet intrigued 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

GET OUT OF AUTO!

Manual is the answer.

I tried changing the ISO manually, but I don't see a difference. A ISO of 3200 looks like Auto Mode and turning it under 300 or so makes it dark.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I tried changing the ISO manually, but I don't see a difference. A ISO of 3200 looks like Auto Mode and turning it under 300 or so makes it dark.

Go to full manual mode. 

Set shutter speed to 1/60 second

Set iso to 800

Set aperture to f/8

See what that gives you, if too dark to iso 1600, if too bright to iso 400.

If at iso 1600 you still are too dark the do aperture to f/5.6

What do you get now?

Go to full manual mode. 

Set shutter speed to 1/60 second

Set iso to 800

Set aperture to f/8

See what that gives you, if too dark to iso 1600, if too bright to iso 400.

If at iso 1600 you still are too dark the do aperture to f/5.6

What do you get now?

Thank you. It seems to look better now. The battery ran out, so I have to charge it before I can copy the files to my pc. I should really get some more batteries :D

Yeah, I love my extra batteries. Please pm me and I can tell you more about how to set manual exposure. I make money from my photo/video jobs and love helping others. 

Basically, keep the iso as low as possible, Shutter speed twice the frame rate (30 fps means 1/60 sec, 60 fps means 1/120 sec), then set aperture between f/8 and f/11 if possible to get a large dof and to balance the slow shutter speed. Iso, lower is better, try to never go above 1600 is possible.

Side question: Why did you recommend double the fps shutter speed? is there a particular reason behind it?

I record at 50fps, because it makes the content look more quality, if somebody reads 50fps. So 1/100? I got a 300 Page manual, I just have to find where to set it. 

They are dark because of the white background, the automatic exposure wants to archive %18 gray "average scene brightness".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_gray

If there's a lot of white in the scene increase the EV correction value if there's a lot black decrease it.

1/100s for 50fps is OK but it mostly depends on the look you want.

They are dark because of the white background, the automatic exposure wants to archive %18 gray "average scene brightness".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_gray

If there's a lot of white in the scene increase the EV correction value if there's a lot black decrease it.

1/100s for 50fps is OK but it mostly depends on the look you want.

I want it to look good. 

Side question: Why did you recommend double the fps shutter speed? is there a particular reason behind it?

Motion blur and shutter angle. Film cameras generally had a 180* shutter angle which gives you some motion blur and is what appears 'normal' for motion in film/video. With DSLRs/mirrorless cameras you actually can go up to a 360* shutter angle (1/24 sec @ 24 fps) or beyond for extreme motion blur; or you can cut it down (>1/50 sec @ 24fps) to give you less. Personally, I always stick close to 180*; 1/120 doesn't exist on my camera, so 1/125 sec for 60fps. For 24fps I actually like 1/40 sec because it gives you a touch more exposure and it can smooth out some of the inherent over-sharpness that some cameras/lenses have.

I want it to look good.

Everything between 360° and 10° looks good if it gives you the look you want.

Put your camera on a tripod and pan, do it with different shutter speeds and choose your preferred speed.

For a "film" style amount of motion blur,

I record at 50fps, because it makes the content look more quality, if somebody reads 50fps. So 1/100? I got a 300 Page manual, I just have to find where to set it. 

Yes, 50 fps == 1/100 sec

Motion blur and shutter angle. Film cameras generally had a 180* shutter angle which gives you some motion blur and is what appears 'normal' for motion in film/video. With DSLRs/mirrorless cameras you actually can go up to a 360* shutter angle (1/24 sec @ 24 fps) or beyond for extreme motion blur; or you can cut it down (>1/50 sec @ 24fps) to give you less. Personally, I always stick close to 180*; 1/120 doesn't exist on my camera, so 1/125 sec for 60fps. For 24fps I actually like 1/40 sec because it gives you a touch more exposure and it can smooth out some of the inherent over-sharpness that some cameras/lenses have.

^ this.

Everything between 360° and 10° looks if it gives you the look you want.

Put your camera on a tripod and pan, do it with different shutter speeds and choose your preferred speed.

That is good too.

For a "film" style amount of motion blur,

Yes, 50 fps == 1/100 sec

^ this.

That is good too.

Here are  a few settings: 

What do you thing looks best? 5,6 800