Is this dangerous?

Okay, my father just, for some crazy reason, brought me an old 2002 Celeron CPU clocked at 1.7 GHz...  And since:

- It's a very, very old CPU

- It has bent pins from him carrying it in his pocket

- I can't be assed to revive it (finding a mobo isn't a problem), i thought i would do this

post-22241-0-70573700-1374823720_thumb.j

So, is it dangerous to do it O.o

I'm 99.9% sure that it isn't, since the CPU doesn't have any current running through it, but i just thought about checking with you guys.

Also, if i put this on my phone, which i might actually do, since i have a case and a mat screen protector, is there a way to fix those pins so they don't scratch them O.o Maybe use silicone?

If anyone has done this, can they help me with their advice O.o

Thanks in advance :)

It's not dangerous, just make sure you get rid of the pins on the bottom if the CPU has any. 

Cut em off, sand em off, do what you have to. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

It's not dangerous unless it is plugged in or hits anything electric. Also it's pretty swag as a keyring :)

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I usually see other people flatten their pins to get around that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's not dangerous, just make sure you get rid of the pins on the bottom if the CPU has any. 

Cut em off, sand em off, do what you have to.

Like i said, i'd like to keep them, for the looks, so i thought about securing them somehow? Maybe covering them with a see through silicone O.o Since for me those pins are a very important part of a CPU :D

It will all be fine, but get rid of the pins, they can also scratch things.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's not dangerous unless it is plugged in or hits anything electric. Also it's pretty swag as a keyring :)

I know, it'd look so cool, to the people who understand what it is (which oddly are very few among my friends....), but to the people who don't, it'd still look rather interesting :)

It's not dangerous as long as you do something so that the pins won't poke somebody.

It will all be fine, but get rid of the pins, they can also scratch things.

Like i said, i'd like to keep them, for the looks, so i thought about securing them somehow? Maybe covering them with a see through silicone O.o Since for me those pins are a very important part of a CPU :D

^^^

Like i said, i'd like to keep them :) They are a very iconic part of a CPU :) Like how that home button is to an iPhone :)

Wait.. You said Celeron CPU and it says AMD on the chip...?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wait.. You said Celeron CPU and it says AMD on the chip...?

That's only a random pic from Google... It's obvious i still haven't done it :) I plan on doing something similar, that's either going to my keychain or my phone :D

it's okay to manually fix the bend pins i guess, here's an old video from linus as an inspiration..

Details separate people.

AFAIK there are some elements used in component manufacturing that are dangerous to humans, not sure if that is the case with modern CPU's, not sure if it ever was.

That is the only risk I can think of.

As far as i am concerned doing that isn't any more dangerous than having a regular metal bottle opener. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

it's okay to manually fix the bend pins i guess, here's an old video from linus as an inspiration..

I'm familiar with fixing bent pins... I also saw Linus's video about fixing a pin on a I7 extreme edition or 12/24 core/thread Xeon :) But i want to keep them and make them NOT scratch my phone (or tear my trousers) :D

AFAIK there are some elements used in component manufacturing that are dangerous to humans, not sure if that is the case with modern CPU's, not sure if it ever was.

That is the only risk I can think of.

As far as i am concerned doing that isn't any more dangerous than having a regular metal bottle opener. 

Yeah, i know that some electrical components have some dangerous materials, but i THINK that CPU's shouldn't have any of those... :)

It'll be fine, nothing that can leak, explode, etc. 

I'd keep the pins on - you could "plug" it into someone's forehead if they annoy you ;) (just kidding)

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

It'll be fine, nothing that can leak, explode, etc. 

I'd keep the pins on - you could "plug" it into someone's forehead if they annoy you ;) (just kidding)

Yeah, i know that some stuff can go all Johnny Storm on you from all that friction, and it seems CPU's won't :) I'll do it as soon as i can :)

Yeah, i plan on keeping those pins, but then i'll definitely only get to hang them on my keychain, not on my phone :)

You know you are a techie when...

I wouldn't call myself a 100% techie... :( I'm still not as familiar with software as i want to be.... :(

I just think it would look so cool (i'm still wondering why people are not wearing stuff like this) :)

I also planned on doing this to my old AMD socket 478 CPU, but it would look uglier than this... 

Also noticed that this CPU has 1.75V...