Is it bad I wish I got an FX 8320? :O

Go to solution Solved by faziten,

No, it's not. It's the case with 4690K vs. 5960X. Not the case with 8320 vs 4690K. 8 weak cores don't beat 4 strong ones. That TekSyndicate video, again, is horrible.

The tek syndicate video, shows a very specific scenario. Xplit + gaming. In this case FX has a huge edge over a 3570K.

Also 8 weak cores CAN and do beat 4 strong cores (this is a very general claim). ie: 7zip performance is a LOT better in FX than on any intel quadcore not hyperthreaded cpu at any given clockspeed. 

Is this enough to say fx is canonically better? ofc not! would anyone recommend a fx over an sandy/ivy/haswell i5 (performance wise) Hell no! It's just a particular scenario were things turn arround. 

Also, I can't afford 2011-3 sockets!

Well then deal with waiting a bit, or accelerate it someway else (CUDA, QuickSync). 8320 wouldn't have made any difference. 

And I find it pretty amazing how you can be upset they're suggesting you're trolling. You start a ludicrous thread, and act suprised they find it suspicious. And instead of explaining yourself you start lashing out.

You really see no error in logic with that?

Again, /thread.

That's what I was worried about but I was thinking if I overclocked it to 4.4ghz or 4.6ghz it would of lessened it.

Min fps in games would be lowered when compared to a Intel CPU. this is even noticable on mid tier cards. when in the higher end tiers the lower min fps begins to slow down the card quite a bit.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I don't appreciate what you're saying. Quite offensive to be honest.

I already have my computer built, clearly didn't read the thread correctly.

Quite offensive?

hahahah

You are telling me, that if you sell your old components, you don´t have 100-130$+ to afford an i7? 

And your own parents won´t give you a few $?

It´s ok.

Quite offensive?

hahahah

You are telling me, that if you sell your old components, you don´t have 100-130$+ to afford an i7?

And your own parents won´t give you a few $?

It´s ok.

My parents can barely afford to pay the WiFi bills. So please, just stop.

Old components? The only part I have worth anything is an i3-2100.

Well then deal with waiting a bit, or accelerate it someway else (CUDA, QuickSync). 8320 wouldn't have made any difference.

And I find it pretty amazing how you can be upset they're suggesting you're trolling. You start a ludicrous thread, and act suprised they find it suspicious. And instead of explaining yourself you start lashing out.

You really see no error in logic with that?

Again, /thread.

Instead of doing that, why don't you just stop posting on this thread?

CUDA doesn't speed up for me and I still don't know how to even activate QuickSync or use it.

My parents can barely afford to pay the WiFi bills. So please, just stop.

Old components? The only part I have worth anything is an i3-2100.

Sorry,

hmm, but I meant your computer what you´re using now. (i5)+mainboard.

I don´t think it´s worth it to "upgrade??" to an 8320. It´s like people saying they buy Nvidia quadros for their "important calculations" and only playing games in the end with it.

The fact is, you won´t be rendering as much as you think. And streaming with an i5 is not the big of a problem as you think, especially if you don´t run 5-10 applications while you´re gaming.

Just see how well it goes with your livestream, and maybe save some money to get an i7 6 core in the future if you are starting to make a little money out of it.

Sorry,

hmm, but I meant your computer what you´re using now. (i5)+mainboard.

I don´t think it´s worth it to "upgrade??" to an 8320. It´s like people saying they buy Nvidia quadros for their "important calculations" and only playing games in the end with it.

The fact is, you won´t be rendering as much as you think. And streaming with an i5 is not the big of a problem as you think, especially if you don´t run 5-10 applications while you´re gaming.

Just see how well it goes with your livestream, and maybe save some money to get an i7 6 core in the future if you are starting to make a little money out of it.

I'm not upgrading I just was wondering if I would of been better off with an FX 8320.

Also, I need my CPU to do more work as my upload speeds SUCK for 720p.

I don´t think it has something to do with your cpu...

It´s just the slow upload speed from your internet provider.

You´ll need to get a much greater connection to stream in full hd with high bitrate.

But like you said, your parents can barely pay the connection you own now.

I don´t think it has something to do with your cpu...

It´s just the slow upload speed from your internet provider.

You´ll need to get a much greater connection to stream in full hd with high bitrate.

But like you said, your parents can barely pay the connection you own now.

I know that, that's why I need my CPU to encode better so there is less to upload.

Intel for gaming 100%

AMD for multitasking 100%

You're making me cringe. Can you not?

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

I know that, that's why I need my CPU to encode better so there is less to upload.

It doesn't work like that... Encoding is encoding, regardless of what CPU you use. The only difference is one CPU will encode faster or slower than the other. The actual file size doesn't change depending on how quickly your CPU can encode it. >_< :P

With regards to the question in your OP; No you wouldn't be better off with an 8320. Just OC your 4670K and enjoy. There really won't be much difference encoding with the program you use and you'll loose out on performance in other applications/gaming with the FX as well. You really are better off with what you have. 

Also, it's not as simple as "more cores and more threads". You also have to look at the architecture and IPC per core. The FX and Haswell CPUs are very different from each other, architecturally and cannot simply be compared on number of core/threads in this way. In *some* instances, yes, the FX 8-core CPUs can perform better, but in the majority of cases, the 4670's are still king. It's just the way it is. "Multi-tasking" can mean different things depending on what you have running and just because CPU "X" has 8 cores/threads doesn't necessarily mean it will "multi-task" better than CPU "Y" with only 4 cores/threads.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I really don't want any hate. I never realised how many videos I would be rendering or how much I would be live streaming but I am starting to wish I got an FX 8320 and overclocked it.

Pros if I got an FX:

Rendering would be faster

Livestreaming would be better

Cons:

Less upgradability

Will update as I go along

hey bro...a slow outdated unneficient fx chip is really not the key to all this...what you want/need is an i7...and your i5 is worth at leas 160$ used still..and ive seen i7-4770k as low as 215$ lately so just take the plounge its a 70$ upgrade at worst that is totaly worth it..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You're making me cringe. Can you not?

Kthnxbai

@MEC-777 But with a higher CPU settings on an FX 8320 (you can go one higher setting with the FX 8320) it will look nicer at a lower bit rate.

Also, it may not be much faster but the FX 8320 over clocked does render slightly faster than the i5.

@MEC-777 But with a higher CPU settings on an FX 8320 (you can go one higher setting with the FX 8320) it will look nicer at a lower bit rate.

Also, it may not be much faster but the FX 8320 over clocked does render slightly faster than the i5.

So you're willing to give up very reduced minimum fps and slightly reduced average fps on just about every game for maybe 5% render speeds?

Whatever floats your boat bud.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

So you're willing to give up very reduced minimum fps and slightly reduced average fps on just about every game for maybe 5% render speeds?

Whatever floats your boat bud.

Some people need to learn to read to be honest. I AM NOT CHANGING. I AM NOT LOOKING TO CHANGE.

I AM SIMPLY ASKING IF I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE. So please learn to read "bud"

@i_build_nanosuits yeah I will probably save up for an i7 at some point. Would be really useful. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is removing the motherboard and redoing the hyper 212 EVO :(

Some people need to learn to read to be honest. I AM NOT CHANGING. I AM NOT LOOKING TO CHANGE.

Ok then u did make the right choice

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

"I wish I got an FX 8320"

No need to type in all caps, also, I can clearly read otherwise I wouldn't have been able to respond to this thread nor would I have over 2,000 posts (not like posts matter of course, just pointing it out there).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

wow I actually read this whole thing to laugh at the fanboys but you guys are being really mean to Tim Drake

wow I actually read this whole thing to laugh at the fanboys but you guys are being really mean to Tim Drake

Its suppose to be caps its a brand name... and you quoted the wrong part

I wasn't talking about "FX" being in caps, if that's what you meant...

If you reread his post you can see that half of it was in CAPS.

But this 'argument' is pointless, so I'm not going to continue as there's no point, sorry if I offended anybody @Tim Drake

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Yes, actually FX8 can do a lot better gaming + live streaming vid. Is one combination that benefits from multiple cores rather than beefier ones. (Tek syndicate showed last year on 3570K Vs FX8350) It's just how it is.

Yes, actually FX8 can do a lot better gaming + live streaming vid. Is one combination that benefits from multiple cores rather than beefier ones. (Tek syndicate showed last year on 3570K Vs FX8350) It's just how it is.

No, it's not. It's the case with 4690K vs. 5960X. Not the case with 8320 vs 4690K. 8 weak cores don't beat 4 strong ones. That TekSyndicate video, again, is horrible.

8350 4.8ghz vs 3570k 4.3ghz (AMD build had 1866mhz ram while Intel had 1600mhz ram)

8350: 119 seconds

3570k: 138 seconds

Now consider:

His intel build had slower ram.

Haswell cores are 6-8% faster than Ivy bridge cores

Your 4670k is at 4.4ghz. His is at 4.3ghz.

His 8350 was clocked at 4.8ghz.

I highly doubt an 8350 would be any better than your current 4670k clocked at 4.4ghz.

The tek syndicate video, shows a very specific scenario. Xplit + gaming. In this case FX has a huge edge over a 3570K.

Also 8 weak cores CAN and do beat 4 strong cores (this is a very general claim). ie: 7zip performance is a LOT better in FX than on any intel quadcore not hyperthreaded cpu at any given clockspeed. 

Is this enough to say fx is canonically better? ofc not! would anyone recommend a fx over an sandy/ivy/haswell i5 (performance wise) Hell no! It's just a particular scenario were things turn arround. 

@ OP

You have multiple answers now. Please mark this thread as answered so everyone can move on. Thanks.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?