Is there a big difference between 2.5 and 3.5 HDD

Frankie

Hey I was thinking about what my next PC could be like and I really like Corsair Air 540 but I dislike the front mounted 3.5 HDD so I would be modding that to have flat clean floor (smoked plexi probably).

Thing is, I would have to either find a nice place for a 3.5 hdd in the back, or just use 2.5 HDD for storage (SSD for boot) Is there any real downside to this other then that (than that ? grammar nazi help) 2.5 is probably a little bit slower.

In my experience reliability is not very different, so is there any serious disadvantages, or it doesnt really matter. Any opinion is welcome :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Hey I was thinking about what my next PC could be like and I really like Corsair Air 540 but I dislike the front mounted 3.5 HDD so I would be modding that to have flat clean floor (smoked plexi probably).

Thing is, I would have to either find a nice place for a 3.5 hdd in the back, or just use 2.5 HDD for storage (SSD for boot) Is there any real downside to this other then that (than that ? grammar nazi help) 2.5 is probably a little bit slower.

In my experience reliability is not very different, so is there any serious disadvantages, or it doesnt really matter. Any opinion is welcome :)

Not really. 2.5" HDDs are usually quieter.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

3.5 HDDs normally are faster due to faster rotation and larger cache, and are easier to mount in most cases due to there being tool-less drive brackets 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

You shouldn't experience anything noticeable performance wise.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i'd say theres about a 5% preformance increase from 2.5 to 3.5... not really anything to worry over.

i will say that i've seen more 2.5 drives fail in my lifetime, however thats onlybecause ive only ever seen one 3.5 fail. xP

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Smaller is better, sometimes.

Eyebrow_raise_community.gif

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

There's not really any performance hit from going to a 2.5. 2.5s tend to drive at 5400rpm because they're used in battery-powered computers, but you can get 7200rpm ones as well, I think. With how technology has advanced, there's no reason you can't get the performance of a 3.5 into a 2.5. 

I also find that 2.5s have lower fail rates. In Akihabara, every old hard 3.5 under the sun (or building) is dead or dying of SMART failure, but both 120GB Toshiba drives that i picked up there accessed, allocated and mounted flawlessly even on a shoddy USB-SATA interface. They're sitting in my rig now. I have a Sharp PC-GP1515 back home that has a 40GB HDD. It's still alive and kicking, it's outlived its battery by about eight years. every other 3.5HDD I have tested from that time has failed. so that could be something for 2.5 inch hard drives.

But I'm not sure how true their reliablility is, so just take it with a grain of salt.

I think 2.5 only goes to 2TB. While 3.5 can currently go to 6TB.  With plans for up to 10TB due to joys of helium. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thanks gang. You did confirmed what I thought, but hey, better safe than sorry :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I think 2.5 only goes to 2TB. While 3.5 can currently go to 6TB.  With plans for up to 10TB due to joys of helium. 

What about price? I'm sure a 2tb 2.5 will not cost the same as a 2tb 3.5

no reason why it shouldn't other than marketing BS, which should fall apart because 2.5" hard drives have been around for years.

The bigger 3.5 drives are usually cheaper since they are easily found.

2TB 2.5 drives exist but are near 100 GBP cos smaller sizes are more common for 2.5 drives.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

big difference. the speed at the rate the disk  is read. 2.5 normally found at 5400 while 3.5 is found at 7200 and also 3.5 are more reliable. (if u mean 2.5 hdd not ssd)

You can buy drives bigger than 6tb already. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969&cm_re=8tb_hdd-_-22-145-969-_-Product

Once prices fall a bit I'll be picking up a couple of 8tb drives. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969&cm_re=8tb_hdd-_-22-145-969-_-Product

Yeah, right now you can either have a decent pc/htpc or a big HDD. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Most 2.5" drives are 5400RPM, which will be noticeably slower then a standard desktop drive, about on the level of a "green" 3.5" HDD. There are some 7200RPM 2.5" drives designed for higher performance laptops though, and those will give you pretty much the same performance as a standard desktop drive.

"Rawr XD"

Most 2.5" drives are 5400RPM, which will be noticeably slower then a standard desktop drive, about on the level of a "green" 3.5" HDD. There are some 7200RPM 2.5" drives designed for higher performance laptops though, and those will give you pretty much the same performance as a standard desktop drive.

Yeah, I was looking at it this way :) Forgot to mention RPMs in my post.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

$800 though. That's R9 295X2 money in the UK. 

$800 though. That's R9 295X2 money in the UK. 

It's an Enterpreise drive. Wasn't there supposed to be an 8TB Seagate out soon with a much lower price (although not record breaking performance)?

Also, the advantage in performance for 3.5" drives do not only come from their higher RPMs but from the larger diameter as well. Remember, the fastest sectors are on the outside of the platters (and the outside of a 3.5" is way more outside than on a 2.5" - that plus higher RPMs) usually make 3.5" noticeably faster... well at least in benchmarks. Real life user experience could be less distinctive.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)