Whole room mineral oil cooling idea

alby800

So I just watched the latest whole room water cooling video and half way through it I had an idea!

What if at LinusMediaGroup's new office, they had a massive fish tank converted to house 4 or so submerged computers?

How freaking cool would that be!?!?!?

The radiater a could be on the outside again etc.

Now I understand the downsides to mineral oil and I don't think this would be practical AT ALL. But it would be FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

I know this is never going to happen but I just thought I would share my crazy idea.

@Linustech @slick @nicklmg

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

alby pls no

Haha MERRY CHRISTMAS

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

crazy idea= science fiction

not possible in a million years...

I think it is possible the way I am thinking. Although I am kinda tired and on mobile so I may have not made it very clear or something.

crazy idea= science fiction

not possible in a million years...

Its possible, just not very useful.

Maybe if LMG can afford a $40 000 oil filled display case for 4 computers in the future...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe if LMG can afford a $40 000 oil filled display case for 4 computers in the future...

They could waterproof a room in the house and have a diving board to jump into it with scuba gear for every member of LMG.

Exactly

Buy some silicone. Lots of silicone. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

They could waterproof a room in the house and have a diving board to jump into it with scuba gear for every member of LMG.

This idea and my idea would be about as useful as each other :lol:

Buy some silicone. Lots of silicone. 

silicone is very very bad for copper

I'd rather an attempt to convert a refrigerator into a server cabinet.

It has the shelves to take multiple board systems.

Only issue is the cable routing without letting moisture in, and to prevent condensation.

A fridge isn't cheap, but reliably maintains super low temperatures.

I wanted to put my pc in the fridge, and the condensation isnt a problem because the water freezes on the rear side, on the plate that colds the room... Tho i havent done it yet

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

So I just watched the latest whole room water cooling video and half way through it I had an idea!

What if at LinusMediaGroup's new office, they had a massive fish tank converted to house 4 or so submerged computers?

How freaking cool would that be!?!?!?

The radiater a could be on the outside again etc.

Now I understand the downsides to mineral oil and I don't think this would be practical AT ALL. But it would be FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

I know this is never going to happen but I just thought I would share my crazy idea.

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

That tank would cost about 3000$, atleast from what I'm thinking (in Latvia they cost about 2000 euros)

That tank would cost about 3000$, atleast from what I'm thinking (in Latvia they cost about 2000 euros)

Like I said. Not practical :P

Like I said. Not practical :P

It would be ballin' in a penthouse just go into your room turn on your baller lights for a 5000 dollar fish tank with a pc in it and start playing games @ 4k for madness

It would be ballin' in a penthouse just go into your room turn on your baller lights for a 5000 dollar fish tank with a pc in it and start playing games @ 4k for madness

Pfffft 4K I for plebs.

32K FOR THE WIN!!!

Pfffft 4K I for plebs.

32K FOR THE WIN!!!

scrub, pfffft

MAKE THE WHOLE APARTMENT BUILD A SUPER-PC SO YOU CAN FINALLY RUN CRYSIS OR ASSASINS CREED UNITY

It's not just the oil, you realize oil it's quite heavier than water? Even a water tank that size wouldn't work aquariums have to specially make some ridiculously heavy duty glass that would support the weight and with oil it would be even worst.

Plus the kind of pump that can actually push that much oil to make it circulate would be the size of a fucking car and noisier than one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not just the oil, you realize oil it's quite heavier than water? Even a water tank that size wouldn't work aquariums have to specially make some ridiculously heavy duty glass that would support the weight and with oil it would be even worst.

Plus the kind of pump that can actually push that much oil to make it circulate would be the size of a fucking car and noisier than one.

false ;) actually if the tank can hold water (mechanically) it can hold the oil since

It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3 (wiki)

which makes it less dense than water, and so, lighter with the same volume. plus due to components (that dont exert pressure on the walls) there would be less oil than water with fish, which means even less weight/pressure

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well I think it depends on the oil but I stand corrected. Even if it was oil as dense as water what I said still applies: a room sized aquarium is unrealistic for the aforementioned reasons: we're talking an order of magnitude bigger here the water pump alone that can quickly circulate a pools worth of water is massive and damn expensive

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well I think it depends on the oil but I stand corrected. Even if it was oil as dense as water what I said still applies: a room sized aquarium is unrealistic for the aforementioned reasons: we're talking an order of magnitude bigger here the water pump alone that can quickly circulate a pools worth of water is massive and damn expensive

yeah i agree with all youve said (and ffs, 4k posts and no quote) just had to correct your numbers ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Ide rather see a pc in the shape of a horse ^-^

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Maybe they could use a bathtub xD wouldn't look that cool though (it wouldn't be transparent)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well, if you think about how impractical it is

and the fact that you are practically dancing

with the devil, you are screwed if there is a 

tiny flaw in a single piece of hardware. Now,

that is 1 computer... take that times 4, 4 times

the risk, 4 times the stupid :P

It can probably be bypassed somewhat with

another exotic solution, but that wouldn't be 

the traditional fish tank with strapped down 

hardware you are imagining. 

Edit: why is this in off topic? isn't this technology related?

well, if you think about how impractical it is

and the fact that you are practically dancing

with the devil, you are screwed if there is a

tiny flaw in a single piece of hardware. Now,

that is 1 computer... take that times 4, 4 times

the risk, 4 times the stupid :P

It can probably be bypassed somewhat with

another exotic solution, but that wouldn't be

the traditional fish tank with strapped down

hardware you are imagining.

Edit: why is this in off topic? isn't this technology related?

Yup I have thought about all of that already :P

Idk. merry Christmas?