Broke the "subwoofer" in my front tower speaker

TyloriusMaximus
Go to solution Solved by Lutkeveld,

Playing loud and then having crackling music is probably a deformed voice coil. Slammed against the backplate and unable to move in the magnetic gap without scraping the sides. 

To confirm it you need to push the speaker and hear if it's making any noise. If so, replace the whole speaker because reconing is too expensive.

i was playing music too loud with my surround sound and blew the subwoofer (or whatever it is) in the front tower speaker and i was wondering how could i stop the crackling sound that it now produces for happening without disabling it on the left speaker (only the right one broke and treble and mid work fine). would a lower gauge wire work or is there something i can do in windows to solve this

Open it and disconnect the wires that go to that particular speaker, it's dead forever anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Open it and disconnect the wires that go to that particular speaker, it's dead forever anyway.

Is that really the only way i have no knowledge on that kind of stuff, also could i get it replaced at a local audio store?

How is it broken? Torn the paper cone? Torn the sealing rubber ring? Punch a hole right through? How?

Easiest and cheapest one would be the sealing rubber ring. You can even do the repair yourself, with white wood glue and a lot of patience. Other than that, take it to a repair/DIY store to have it fixed. 

Is that really the only way i have no knowledge on that kind of stuff, also could i get it replaced at a local audio store?

If your local audio store does speaker repairs, then sure, they might be able to. You might have to replace the entire tower speaker though.

And yes, taking it apart and disconnecting the driver is the only way for you to stop the crackle at home, if you still wish to use that tower speaker.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You could get a quote for a recone job, but it likely wouldn't be worth the money

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

+ 1

unless your local audio store build them you're probably out of luck. especially if the speakers are the cheaper kind.

If your amplifier supports it, it would probably better off just buying a new pair.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

How is it broken? Torn the paper cone? Torn the sealing rubber ring? Punch a hole right through? How?

Easiest and cheapest one would be the sealing rubber ring. You can even do the repair yourself, with white wood glue and a lot of patience. Other than that, take it to a repair/DIY store to have it fixed. 

im not really sure what about it is broken because i have no knowledge on about speakers but when there is bass going through the front speakers and there is not much treble or mid it crackles

im not really sure what about it is broken because i have no knowledge on about speakers but when there is bass going through the front speakers and there is not much treble or mid it crackles

Play heavy kicks songs, sit in front of the problematic speaker, and push the cone with 2-3 of your fingers. Do it as though you're trying to prevent it from moving/vibrating. If the crackles stop, with less to non-existant bass, naturally, then most likely it's something torn on the surface (not the electronic parts). Inspect around for physical tears, start from the rubber ring to the middle. 

Playing loud and then having crackling music is probably a deformed voice coil. Slammed against the backplate and unable to move in the magnetic gap without scraping the sides. 

To confirm it you need to push the speaker and hear if it's making any noise. If so, replace the whole speaker because reconing is too expensive.

i cant touch it witht he mesh over it it is too far far back into the housing and i dont really want to rip / cut the mesh off

the speaker actually seems to be able to do hard base fine (a bit quieter than the other speaker but still very acceptable) but light bass only sounds crackly

i cant touch it witht he mesh over it it is too far far back into the housing and i dont really want to rip / cut the mesh off

Unfortunately you're going to have to remove the mesh if you want to fix the speaker or stop the crackle. 100% impossible otherwise. If the local Audio shop does repairs, bring it in to them and ask for a free estimate.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

what speakers are they? i could link you too a replacement driver.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz