[HELP] Cable Sleeving Question

Nyanpasu Shifu
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Thanlks but do you know what those 12V,5V,ground do? The one who made the pinouts coloured ground,12V,5V,3.3V and such..

Btw, does the end of wire inserted into number 1 port of the connector also goes into the same port on the other side of the wire?

Pretty much confused about those.

They're different power requirements the standard 24 pin needs for a motherboard, as for the corresponding port if it's a modular PSU some are exact match to each other, others aren't. but for sleeving extensions it's basically exact copy so one goes to one two goes to two etc.

Hi, 
first thing I don't know if this is the right subforum to post because I can't find a help subforum.
I am planning to build a PC next year and trying to know more about Cable sleeving.
Yesterday, I just found out I have to know Pinouts of the psu I am gonna sleeve.
But , I have no idea what does pinout mean and what they do.
I found a repository of different PSU pinouts on  http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/repository-of-power-supply-pin-outs  
And it says I have to plan my pinouts first before trying to sleeve custom cables.

Thanks,
Jack.

Hi, 

first thing I don't know if this is the right subforum to post because I can't find a help subforum.

I am planning to build a PC next year and trying to know more about Cable sleeving.

Yesterday, I just found out I have to know Pinouts of the psu I am gonna sleeve.

I found a repository of different PSU pinouts on  http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/repository-of-power-supply-pin-outs  

And it says I have to plan my pinouts first before trying to sleeve custom cables.

Thanks,

Jack.

Each pin has a different voltage going to it being 12V, 5V, Ground, etc, as for the runs crossing over each other it will occur with the majority of PSU's the best id to have nice neat runs and hide the cross over on the back of the motherboard tray.

If you do each cable one at a time, pop one out and sleeve it then put it back in and repeat, you don't really need to worry about pinouts.

Some good videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lutro0/videos

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

If you do each cable one at a time, pop one out and sleeve it then put it back in and repeat, you don't really need to worry about pinouts.

Some good videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lutro0/videos

But I am gonna sleeve non-OEM psu cables, starting from scratch.

I guess I need more explanation about those pinouts.

But I am gonna sleeve non-OEM psu cables, starting from scratch.

I guess I need more explanation about those pinouts.

Same method can apply, follow the cables and make a map. Pay close attention to double cables.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Same method can apply, follow the cables and make a map. Pay close attention to double cables.

Thanlks but do you know what those 12V,5V,ground do? The one who made the pinouts coloured ground,12V,5V,3.3V and such..

Btw, does the end of wire inserted into number 1 port of the connector also goes into the same port on the other side of the wire?

Dunno about the specific wires.

Generally no. Most PSU side connectors are not 1 to 1. EVGA G2 main power cables have two PSU side connectors that have a total of 28 pins.

They're different power requirements the standard 24 pin needs for a motherboard, as for the corresponding port if it's a modular PSU some are exact match to each other, others aren't. but for sleeving extensions it's basically exact copy so one goes to one two goes to two etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Thanks,

Jack.

An pinout is the way a psu manufacturer wires their powersupply due to the manufacturing process of the actual unit and the maker trying to get the best stability and efficiency out of the unit.

All makers follow an atx standard on the motherboard and components side of the power cables - this means they will always be the same pinout on the motherboard and component side. However all PSU makers use their own proprietary pinout on the power supply side for semi and full modular PSUs - this means that you will have to write down where the cable goes from the psu connectors to the connectors on the motherboard or components. Before I start any job I always write down the pinout by making a map - basically drawing the connectors and numbering them and then numbering the motherboard side and connecting the two with lines I can read - so I have both a number that matches and a line I can visualize to help.

The voltages matter as they need to match on the psu side and the motherboard side, if you mix them wrong you could damage your psu or worse yet your system.

Extensions dont use a pinout as they are just extending it straight across to the same spot from the male connector to the female connector.

I hope that this helped out a bit - please feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

• 3 weeks later...

An pinout is the way a psu manufacturer wires their powersupply due to the manufacturing process of the actual unit and the maker trying to get the best stability and efficiency out of the unit.

All makers follow an atx standard on the motherboard and components side of the power cables - this means they will always be the same pinout on the motherboard and component side. However all PSU makers use their own proprietary pinout on the power supply side for semi and full modular PSUs - this means that you will have to write down where the cable goes from the psu connectors to the connectors on the motherboard or components. Before I start any job I always write down the pinout by making a map - basically drawing the connectors and numbering them and then numbering the motherboard side and connecting the two with lines I can read - so I have both a number that matches and a line I can visualize to help.

The voltages matter as they need to match on the psu side and the motherboard side, if you mix them wrong you could damage your psu or worse yet your system.

Extensions dont use a pinout as they are just extending it straight across to the same spot from the male connector to the female connector.

I hope that this helped out a bit - please feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Do I need to use different wires for each 12V,5V,ground or will 16awg and 18awg wires be okay? 

Do I need to use different wires for each 12V,5V,ground or will 16awg and 18awg wires be okay? 

The standard is 18AWG for PSU's some may use 16AWG for certain pins to provide more amps to that pin while others do a double wire as Lutro0 shows here: